S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Has anyone used a Zamp helmet?

Old 03-08-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Has anyone used a Zamp helmet?

I came across this brand when looking at head and neck restraints; they had introduced a restraint that was adjustable for width, angle, and length.

The helmets seemed moderately priced and with lots of features. For example, the models I was looking at could be configured for three forward facing air inlets with scoops or have one or more of them converted to forced air inlets with both a regular round and low profile adapter available. It also has an inlet for fluids, ear cups to make hearing race radios easier, etc.

https://zamp-inc.myshopify.com/colle...-42-air-sa2015

Old 03-09-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking at not $1k+ carbon helmets I would recommend: https://blackarmorhelmets.com/
Old 03-09-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a zamp (non carbon fiber) and was very happy with quality for the money. I have mine wired for fluids and radio communication.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by No.Division
If you are looking at not $1k+ carbon helmets I would recommend: https://blackarmorhelmets.com/
I've had one of those for about 2 years now. Love it.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Also HJC is a nice option.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

We bought open face Zamps as loaners for our autocross program. Nothing fancy but they've held up well to the abuse.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:59 PM

The Zamp shown, about $480 with white and matte black versions about $340, comes with lots of features either in the box or as options. For example, it comes with a lip at the bottom of the eyeport, a rear spoiler, ear muffs and ear plugs. A model $20 more comes with that (including the three plastic scoops) and a low profile forced air inlet that can be used in lieu of any of the vents. It has a hydration port. A regular round forced air inlet is available. A shield with a visor and gray bad is available. Visors to use in lieu of a shield are available. Etc. etc. etc.

In addition, in about 2 months a version of the carbon one will be available with FIA 8859 certification in addition ot Snell SA2015 certification.

There is another model for about $250 with fewer features. That model will be available with 8859 certification for $300.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tougefactory
Also HJC is a nice option.
Devin, you're right I can agree - if it's a budget thing. I cannot attest for road racing and etc, but I've been riding for 9+ years and my first and second helmets were both HJC, decent quality but in my opinion they were heavy as hell. Felt like a bowling ball on your head.

After that I stuck with Arai and Shoei.

HJCs though like you said, are very affordable - and I am unsure if most people who use them are as picky as I.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking at the helmet shown. I tried it on back to back with the non-carbon version and didn't notice a difference in weight. I ended up getting the non-carbon one, a nice balaclava, and a nice helmet bag for what the carbon version would have cost.

I've been using it for over six months including two lemons races and a private track day and I really like it. It's comfortable and it has a ton of features--especially for the price. Compared to most helmets I've used or tried on, there is a lot of support and cushioning in the cheeks which helps distribute the weight and keep it snug in place when you're testing the fitment. The liner comes out easily so it's nice to air it out and febreeze it on the drive home. Also the ear and cheek pads are adjustable.

In fact, a couple months ago when it came time for my gf to get a helmet she picked up one as well.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by odb812
I was looking at the helmet shown. I tried it on back to back with the non-carbon version and didn't notice a difference in weight. I ended up getting the non-carbon one, a nice balaclava, and a nice helmet bag for what the carbon version would have cost.

I've been using it for over six months including two lemons races and a private track day and I really like it. It's comfortable and it has a ton of features--especially for the price. Compared to most helmets I've used or tried on, there is a lot of support and cushioning in the cheeks which helps distribute the weight and keep it snug in place when you're testing the fitment. The liner comes out easily so it's nice to air it out and febreeze it on the drive home. Also the ear and cheek pads are adjustable.

In fact, a couple months ago when it came time for my gf to get a helmet she picked up one as well.

I should have put this picture in. There is a 75g difference, about 3.5lb vs 3.7lb. The only other difference (other than appearance) is that the carbon version will be available with FIA-8859 certification in addition to SA2015. This one is about $340 in matte black or white. The carbon is about $495. The low profile forced air duct is an additional $20, the third plastic scoop is also included. A version with graphics is $365. The FIA-8859 certification adds $80.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used a Zamp helmet?