S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler

Old 01-06-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Finally, to attack a major Honda parts vendor who just made the effort to provide a clearly superior product for the S2000 community that didn't previously exist for an imagined slight to a respected board member that they aren't responsible for is just wrong.
You know what happens when you mix oil with water?

Don't let your bearings look like this poor old bird. This is not a "clearly superior product" this is a great way to toast your engine. A separate oil cooler and radiator is a clearly superior idea. You get independent control over oil and water temperatures, components of higher quality are readily available, and there is zero risk of destroying your bearings from a tiny leak. Literally a pinhole in a weld on this radiator is enough to require a ground up engine rebuild, what percentage of aftermarket radiators leak at some point? This is absolutely not worth the risk for the gain of the slight connivence of having a single thing to install. Do yourself a favor and buy the SakeBomb Setrab oil cooler, its on sale for an insane price right now and your can easily get a top of the line Setrab oil cooler and a very nice radiator for well under $900.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gtracer
I would personally go with a Ron Davis setup..

Custom Built Aluminum Radiators - Ron Davis Racing Products
TTBOMK, Ron Davis and C&R don't make S2k radiators. They undoubtedly could make a custom with an oil cooler, but it would be much more expensive.

The next best option would be a separate water/oil oil cooler with the larger radiator. But this Jackson radiator is that and a drop in fit.

Last edited by DavidNJ; 01-16-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

TTBOMK, Ron Davis and C&R don't make S2k radiators. They undoubtedly could make a custom with an oil cooler, but it would be much more expensive.

The next best option would be a separate water/oil oil cooler with the larger radiator. But this Jackson radiator is that and a drop in fit.
Keeping an engine cool, for me has its price to pay. It means you can run non-stop in a race without worrying about either having to slow down or blowing something up. Proper cooling and lubrification are things I would not pass on, even it it means a couple hundred dollars more. I would spend more on cooling to ensure that a built engine lasts longer.

I would also consider a Mocal Water/Oil cooler and getting a better Radiator if Ron Davis doesn't make one.
Jackson Racing's seem to be $900... Ron Davis could be $1500 (?)... Still cheaper than getting an upgraded Radiator and a Mocal cooler..

As you mentioned, I think the "plug-n-play" feature of the JR will be enticing for some as it will most likely do the job for most applications!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Keeping an engine cool, for me has its price to pay. It means you can run non-stop in a race without worrying about either having to slow down or blowing something up. Proper cooling and lubrification are things I would not pass on, even it it means a couple hundred dollars more. I would spend more on cooling to ensure that a built engine lasts longer.

I would also consider a Mocal Water/Oil cooler and getting a better Radiator if Ron Davis doesn't make one.
Jackson Racing's seem to be $900... Ron Davis could be $1500 (?)... Still cheaper than getting an upgraded Radiator and a Mocal cooler..

As you mentioned, I think the "plug-n-play" feature of the JR will be enticing for some as it will most likely do the job for most applications!
But the CSF radiator that Jackson is using is perfectly fine radiator. CSF has a large radiator business and the construction seems comparable to any of the others. In this case Jackson Racing must of bought or committed to a large quantity...making this combination for a car out of production for 8 years and sold in limited quantities was probably not in CSF's plans. CSF makes lots of radiators for lots of markets. I don't see the need for a custom radiator to go in the OEM location. However, if you are doing a custom front configuration with the radiator and intercooler in different locations, maybe angled...C&R, Ron Davis, etc. would be a better choice..
Old 01-17-2017, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jackson should really be commended. They are a major vendor and introduced what is easily the best or one of the two best radiator/oil cooler options for the S2000, a car that has been out of production for 7 years.

Jackson didn't design the radiator, CSF has been designing and testing it to sell and Jackson bought the rights to it. Been following its production for awhile, was supposed to purchase it last year as it was supposed to be released in Jan of 2016, then Jackson swooped in. Currently making my own custom radiator and oil cooler combo to use on my car.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

A *proper* oil to air cooler setup is not as much as you'd think. $399 on sale currently (S2ki members) for an oil cooler kit + a good aluminum radiator and you're still under budget but have all of the advantages of both. SBG Competition Oil Cooling System (S2000) - SakeBomb Garage LLC

The temperature delta between the hot coolant and hot oil is absolutely minuscule compared to the temperature delta between ambient air and the hot oil... what this means is little actual heat transfer will take effect between the hotter oil and hot coolant, where a large heat transfer would occur between the hot oil and relatively cold air. Also, now that you've dumped all this extra heat back into the radiator, you now need to cool it with the same radiator that's trying to process the coolant heat transfer. I don't see anything gained here.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
A *proper* oil to air cooler setup is not as much as you'd think. $399 on sale currently (S2ki members) for an oil cooler kit + a good aluminum radiator and you're still under budget but have all of the advantages of both. SBG Competition Oil Cooling System (S2000) - SakeBomb Garage LLC

The temperature delta between the hot coolant and hot oil is absolutely minuscule compared to the temperature delta between ambient air and the hot oil... what this means is little actual heat transfer will take effect between the hotter oil and hot coolant, where a large heat transfer would occur between the hot oil and relatively cold air. Also, now that you've dumped all this extra heat back into the radiator, you now need to cool it with the same radiator that's trying to process the coolant heat transfer. I don't see anything gained here.
Water/Oil Coolers can be very effective.
It depends on your application and the room you have to play with. The S2k has copious amounts of room up front so a good setrab cooler like you showed would work.. Other applications dont have that much room to spare a Laminova's cooler (those who make them for Mocal) are excellent and keep temperatures spot on.

http://mocalusa.com/laminova.htm
http://97.74.32.155/files/laminova.pdf
Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 AM

If I may add.. Please see this thread.

Perhaps not such a good product afterall..

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...issue-1168093/
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Water/Oil Coolers can be very effective.
Yes, *IF* the water is cold. Your heat transfer effectiveness goes up with the temperature delta between the two mediums. Also we're talking about high fin density.. not a tube in a tank... there's little heat exchange going on there. Now fill that tank with hot coolant... and slightly hotter oil passing through it... very little heat transfer actually occurs. If that radiator was filled with cold coolant and there was a lot of surface area to work with, absolutely. But the surface area is VERY low and the coolant is very hot.

Not to bash another vendors legitimate products... we don't do that. But I will call out snake oil when I see it, because this product does none of its intended jobs well. The purpose of this product is to make money, sorry to say it.

Also as someone mentioned above... I'd hate to spring a leak between the oil and water systems. Eek.

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 01-19-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

the only radiator you should buy is from MrSideways

Quick Reply: Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler