S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

KW Clubs vs Ohlins DFV

Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have experience with either, but I plan on going with Ohlins DFV when I do coilovers. I've emailed back and forth with somebody from Ohlins, and they were very prompt and knowledgable with their replies, which is a huge plus in my book, considering they are a pretty expensive item(not as expensive as Motons or multi-adjustable shocks). Though, there are still a few essential items to get on my list before I touch the suspension.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add what I do know...kwv3 at least was $125 to be rebuilt and need to be shipped to CA
Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$125 per corner plus shipping. Sorry.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Interested in this too.....those spring rates seem soft on the ohlins but I don't know much
The front DFVs are 572 lbs/in and are the same height in the rear. You can put the Fronts on the rear and simply by a 650/700 lb spring for the fronts. You will need to crank up the damping, but if you need a spring that stuff, cranking up the damping should not concern you..

Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Are you running on a stock suspension right now?
No, I got buddyclub n+
They are just too bouncy on bumpy roads, I shoulda just cut the springs LOL
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Urge
Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1338394949' post='21740142
Interested in this too.....those spring rates seem soft on the ohlins but I don't know much
The front DFVs are 572 lbs/in and are the same height in the rear. You can put the Fronts on the rear and simply by a 650/700 lb spring for the fronts. You will need to crank up the damping, but if you need a spring that stuff, cranking up the damping should not concern you..
My buddyclubs are 10k/8k and I feel they are horrible....but that might be the valving I read
Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Urge' timestamp='1338430457' post='21741879
[quote name='sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1338394949' post='21740142']
My buddyclubs are 10k/8k and I feel they are horrible....but that might be the valving I read
[/quote]

Yes the DFVs are more comfortable than stock with more than double the spring

Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Ohlins is one of the top suspension manufacturers in the world; you can find their stuff on the very top level of motorsports (F1, MotoGP, all classes of FIA, etc). I don't consider the fact that they are only single adjustable as a disadvantage for a street/track fun car. I have KW Clubsports and only use the rebound adjuster between street and track. I leave the compression alone.

In this case however, the KWs are really well dialed in for our application whereas I do not feel the Ohlins are. Well, I guess it depends if you want to be more biased towards street or track. I feel the KWs Clubsports have more appropriate spring rates for the type of use that most S2k guys are looking to do. The Ohlins have spring rates closer to the KW V3s.

There is another issue with the spring rates. The KWs have equal spring rates front and rear which is good for a car running the stock tire stagger. The stiffer front/softer rear for the Ohlins is better suited for a non-staggered tire setup. But I still think the spring rates are too soft as I'm running 12k/10k on my KW Clubsports. With those spring rates, my KWs still feel better than stock IMO when using my street setting and about on par with my track setting.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Urge' timestamp='1338430457' post='21741879
[quote name='sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1338394949' post='21740142']
[/quote]

Yeah... there's a reason KWs and Ohlins cost what they do.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Ohlins is one of the top suspension manufacturers in the world; you can find their stuff on the very top level of motorsports (F1, MotoGP, all classes of FIA, etc). I don't consider the fact that they are only single adjustable as a disadvantage for a street/track fun car. I have KW Clubsports and only use the rebound adjuster between street and track. I leave the compression alone.

In this case however, the KWs are really well dialed in for our application whereas I do not feel the Ohlins are. Well, I guess it depends if you want to be more biased towards street or track. I feel the KWs Clubsports have more appropriate spring rates for the type of use that most S2k guys are looking to do. The Ohlins have spring rates closer to the KW V3s.

There is another issue with the spring rates. The KWs have equal spring rates front and rear which is good for a car running the stock tire stagger. The stiffer front/softer rear for the Ohlins is better suited for a non-staggered tire setup. But I still think the spring rates are too soft as I'm running 12k/10k on my KW Clubsports. With those spring rates, my KWs still feel better than stock IMO when using my street setting and about on par with my track setting.
All true..
For 120 bucks you can move the fronts to the rears and buy new fronts springs and run 12/10

Quick Reply: KW Clubs vs Ohlins DFV