S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Looking at actually getting on a track... (need help)

Old 03-12-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I live around Buffalo myself. Check our the upstate NY forum, we have 2 ongoing links for track events. One is a general thread of track events, and the other is our annual Watkins Glen event, we usually get a solid turnout of s2k's. As for Nasa, if you have a rollbar you should be good to go, as that's what I run and have never had any issues regarding running on track. Running TT this year with mostly the same setup. Hope to see you out
Old 03-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by integlspwr
yes I have a cusco 6 point roll cage.
Is that "cage" legal with vtec club? You have padding installed, a race seat and harnesses?

1. Roll cage & roll bars
  • All roll cage/roll bars must be constructed of round magnetic seamless steel tubing and welded. Individual components may be bolted in place. The roll cage/roll bar may be welded or bolted to the chassis structure.
  • The roll cage/roll bar must be constructed to normal professional industry standards. All bends must be smooth and continuous with no signs of crimping or material failure
  • Portions of the roll cage that have the potential to come into contact with the driver or passenger should be padded. Areas that could be impacted by the helmet should be padded with padding meeting SFI 45.1
  • If a 6-point ( or more ) roll cage is installed, a race seat and proper race harness must be used.
  • All roll cage/roll bars require the approval of a VTEC Club safety-steward.
http://vtecclubusa.com/safetyguidelines/
Old 03-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

My car would be classified as group a2 with vtec club rules.
Originally Posted by RedCelica
Is that "cage" legal with vtec club? You have padding installed, a race seat and harnesses?

Safety Guidelines – VTEC Club

WOULD.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've built my car to look like it's suppose to be on a track but now I've really wanting to stray away from car shows and get into actual lapping sessions.

My car would be classified as group a2 with vtec club rules.

Is there a master list of events where a beginner like me and drive my car and have fun without too many rules and regulations on aero, tires etc.

i live about 30min South of Buffalo NY and will most def drive and travel to events since now I got a trailer.

thanks everyone !
It is a great thing you want to get on track. For most folks that want to do this it is a life long dream. Congratulations on getting the right tool for the job.

The next goal should be finding the correct application for the tool. As others have said, an HPDE environment would be best. NASA is a fine group. They have actual races during the weekend. This has an upside and a downside.

The upside is a good instruction system that has been developed over a period of years. The races can promote a carrot to chase. They also take away from track time for instructional sessions.

By taking a close look for Marque Clubs in your area you may find some that provide only instructional sessions throughout the weekend. Track time is what you desire and more importantly, need at this point. Investigate, look, and learn. Learning and having an open mind to instruction will be your best asset at his point. Often the instructors are drawn from the same local pool of talent.

There are two things that are the most difficult as an instructor and as an instruction accepting student. Telling them how to F@$k and or drive and being told how to do either. The quicker you can get past that the better for you and everyone around you. At the track and home.

When not at the track, you should be attending and helping with autocross events in your area. An autocrosser always makes a better road racer quicker. Taking a road racer and making an autocrosser out of them aft 10 years of road racing is harder.

Like any skill there is a shaping and honing process to it. Acknowledge the process and engage. And get an oil pan baffle.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
WOULD.
Oh nm...vtec club is west coast anyways.

@OP, as for a master list of events in your area, the best resource I can think of is motorsportsreg.com, as previously mentioned.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica

Safety Guidelines – VTEC Club
no padding, yes to Recaro's and no to harness.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I highly recommend NASA North East region from a somewhat novice standpoint. From my own experience they have a great set of instructors for HPDE1, they emphasize safety and proper driving techniques, and they pair you with instructors who typically have experience with a similar car or chassis setup (if not the same car). The events are well organized with the typical day consisting of driver meeting, 4 or 5 rounds of track time in 20 min sessions, and download meetings after each session out. Plus I'f you go to a race weekend you can watch all the racing!