S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Supercharged Autocross

Old 10-24-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged Autocross

This weekend I'll be attending my second ever autocross within the 7 years of owndership. I did it about 3 years ago when my car was completely stock. Had a blast back then, and am going to give it another go with my new mods. I don't do it competitively, more or less just for some excitement.

Since then, I've added tein flex coilovers, 17x7.5 up front and 17x8.5 in the rear rg2's, cr sways, spoon calipers, hp pads, pwjdm rotors, and I touched the motor a little since and now have a vortech v2 supercharger (393 whp).

I'm assuming it's going to be about 900 times different than my first time.

I read all the SCCA classes and figured my new mods put me in the SSM category. Would this be correct?

Second, my tires, while brand new (>500 miles), are only the RE050's. How much trouble am I going to be in trying to keep 393 hp down around turns with the RE050's? Anyone else ever take a higher hp s2000 to an autocross? Any pointers in doing so?

I saw a couple other guys on the Entry list for Hershey this weekend too. Anyone on here?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

Do yourself a favor and disconnect the rear sway bar. I waited way too long to try it and it makes a big difference in not oversteering all over the place.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

correct! SSM!thats gonna be a wild horse. a stock S2K without a big front bar is a handful already. but for now just go have fun and just make sure your tire pressures are even and your alignment is good. pay more attention to reading the course. and if you see a blue Ap2 there, see if he can coach ya. He is wicked fast. im sure he will chime in here.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Leaving it in second, you still will have stock-ish torque and only medium hp at 4-5k rpms. Local course you probably won't get anywhere near your peak power.

Don't mat or jab throttle and don't forget to unwind your hands before gassing on exit.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM

I had a similar question a few weeks ago and got a bunch of good advice - thread Here. You're putting down 50 more hp than me and my first autox was really a disaster finishing 3rd or 4th from last out of 80. I seriously could have done better in the wife's minivan.

I made some big changes quickly. It's no where near dialed in, but it's now good enough that I can focus on getting ME better. The last two events I've finished a little better than mid-pack and had a ton of fun.

Great advice on disconnecting the rear sway. I went ahead and installed an MX-5 front bar on the rear - a very good and easy $100 mod.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM

Throttle modulation
Old 10-25-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by boony1968
I had a similar question a few weeks ago and got a bunch of good advice - thread Here. You're putting down 50 more hp than me and my first autox was really a disaster finishing 3rd or 4th from last out of 80. I seriously could have done better in the wife's minivan.

I made some big changes quickly. It's no where near dialed in, but it's now good enough that I can focus on getting ME better. The last two events I've finished a little better than mid-pack and had a ton of fun.

Great advice on disconnecting the rear sway. I went ahead and installed an MX-5 front bar on the rear - a very good and easy $100 mod.

Good luck!
I read that thread...there's some great information in there. Thanks man.

Anyone else though from s2ki heading up? There's about 10 s2000's listed.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:13 PM

drift as much as possible on those tires and wipe out tons of cones
Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ LOL theres really not much to tell just go have fun with it and try to learn from watching
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpL
and if you see a blue Ap2 there, see if he can coach ya. He is wicked fast. im sure he will chime in here.
Thanks man.

So I was lucky enough to instruct him today and wow his car is a blast. Luckily Hershey is a big enough venue that there absolutely were opportunities to open it up and go full throttle for a bit. And by the end after quickly breaking a few bad habits he was able to really go pretty fast in this thing. Car felt pretty balanced from the passenger seat with the CR front bar and no rear bar so I'm glad he heeded the advice you guys gave him.

Kinda making me tempted to go to SSM now...the powaaa!

Quick Reply: Supercharged Autocross