S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Oil Cooler How-To is Up

Old 08-03-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there are a lot of ways to install an oil cooler and alternatives to consider. While az3ar was a big help to me, I still had a lot of questions and lack of clarity about what parts were needed. I wasted a lot of $ on AN fittings I didn't need for example. So, I wanted to make it a little easier for the next guy. Rob's website is perfect for this purpose.

The purpose of putting the howto together was to provide some guidance, but just because this setup worked for me doesn't mean its perfect for everyone. My build would require a different mount if you use it for a car with AC.

It should, however, take a bit of the time and guesswork out of the process.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my buddy and I are doing this as we speak. using a mocal sandwich thermostat + greddy sandwich plate.

Thanks for the write up!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To bypass the OEM oil cooler you can find the U-Bend hose I show in my oil relocation how to at the link below.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/828...elocation-kit/

Additionally I prefer using Aeroquip Pushloc with the addition of a crimp connector. The combination has proven flawless on both the fuel and oil side of my last several builds. A cheaper alternative is the Fragola hardware and hose which RacePartsSolutions.com.

For those that are doing this mod, especially running braided stainless, make sure you read the directions. It may sound stupid but I imagine that 90% of better of the people using -AN fittings don't know how to properly install and tighten them. The link below is for the Aeroquip manual and it offers great direction.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcS...ame=PCT_338224

As mentioned if you do use Stainless braided lines there is another thing I caution you on. When I did my very first oil relocation kit with stainless lines they were very stiff. When I would tighten the lines it would actually put tension on the fitting radially, much like coiling a garage door spring. Long story short it did not leak on startup but get a few miles and some vibration and it would loosen up. Unfortunately I found out about this the hard way when I blew an line off and dropped all but about 2 quarts before shutting it down.

Last but not least, as others have mentioned make sure you properly secure your lines. I use as many clamps as I can and make sure to route away from anything that can rub. You can see some examples here that I did when installing a PTuning Kit for a local member who opted for the Setrab Oil cooler w/ Mocal thermostat.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/944...#entry21610034

Great Job on the write up!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by dc_s2k
Yes, there are a lot of ways to install an oil cooler and alternatives to consider. While az3ar was a big help to me, I still had a lot of questions and lack of clarity about what parts were needed. I wasted a lot of $ on AN fittings I didn't need for example. So, I wanted to make it a little easier for the next guy. Rob's website is perfect for this purpose.

The purpose of putting the howto together was to provide some guidance, but just because this setup worked for me doesn't mean its perfect for everyone. My build would require a different mount if you use it for a car with AC.

It should, however, take a bit of the time and guesswork out of the process.

I am glad I could help; my pleasure. Since my car is apart I am going to take few pictures of my cooler tomorrow. I truly believe that a cooler is a must on these cars especially on hot days; 4 years later knock on wood my engine still runs like a champ.

Regarding the AN fittings, when I called the guys at BATT they matched the AN fitting size to the cooler they sold me so I was lucky in that department .
I just removed my heat exchanger unit as I thought its useless for me since I tow to the track so will see how that will work.

On a side note let’s stay in touch I am working on either ABS delete kit or booster/abs delete kit. If it works (crossing fingers) I will post info.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:10 PM

Glad to see this thread. I will post pics of my setup as well.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM
HDA

Nice, wonderful DIY.

Can somebody tell me why the mishimoto is a no-go?
http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-u...ooler-kit.html

Beside the thermostat not being included in the sandwich plate
Old 08-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HDA
Nice, wonderful DIY.

Can somebody tell me why the mishimoto is a no-go?
http://www.mishimoto...cooler-kit.html

Beside the thermostat not being included in the sandwich plate
Adding an outboard thermostat would require securing the thermostat (usually a welded bracket) and 2 more AN lines. The pre-built, pre-sized lines would also create a problem as you try to fit in a thermostat. The hose ends may be reusable so you might be able to shorten them to fit an install with a thermostat. The easy thing to do would be to purchase a sandwich plate with a thermostat built in and sell the included adapter (it has a port for an oil temp gauge). At $265 the kit's a good price but you'll end up spending quite a bit more to make it work with a thermostat.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
HDA

But if i replace the adapter with one with the thermostat wouldnt be the same?

I think what has been linked is the top if you need an oil cooler, but $600 is a bit pricey...

Thus i am not sure i need a thermostat as in Texas the temps are always high. I do need a oil cooler, after 3 laps yesterday i was seeing 270-280 degrees and could feel the S running "weak"
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 AM
HDA

Also, would the OEM oil pump be strong enough to deal with the added length of the oil circuit?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by HDA
Also, would the OEM oil pump be strong enough to deal with the added length of the oil circuit?
anecdotal evidence says yes as there are a number of S2000s running oil coolers with stock pumps. I have not heard of anyone running an aftermarket oil pump. A oil pressure guage will set your mind at ease.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler How-To is Up