S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Opinions please: APR GT-250 vs GTC-300

Old 01-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On an NA car I can't see running anything bigger than the gtc200. Too much drag for me. I found even the front slitter wasn't worth the drag however a front air dam did help.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DHonovich
On an NA car I can't see running anything bigger than the gtc200. Too much drag for me. I found even the front slitter wasn't worth the drag however a front air dam did help.
I have heard from many that the gtc 200 is as big as you need to go until you start making more power. I just got my gtc 200 so we will see once the season starts... I am NA and at more or less stock power level without any intention of increasing power.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I have snapped apr splitters easily. Wasp is the way to go but they r pricey. For the wing I would go with J racing or voletx. They are much more ridged than any apr wing imo. But with a 295mm rider these wings r huge. If ur car is also a street car I suggest taking the wing off.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you go to APR's website you can select the wing, scroll down about halfway and click the CFD data tab. It will display all the info you need to make your decision. I chose the GT-250 after reading it all. Seems like a popular pick here besides Voltex stuff.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were buying brand new I would probably spring for the GT-250. But I recently got offered a hell of a deal on a GTC-300 that I couldn't pass up. So while part of me has concerns, there's others in my ear saying they ran big wings and I should be fine if I can match up the downforce out front. So we'll see. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 AM

CFD data published by the manufacturer is pretty meaningless. You can manipulate CFD to show whatever you want. An aero-space engineer I know modeled the GTS-200 and his model showed that it is actually quite bad. I think the GT-250 is way better than the 200.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ndogg
CFD data published by the manufacturer is pretty meaningless. You can manipulate CFD to show whatever you want. An aero-space engineer I know modeled the GTS-200 and his model showed that it is actually quite bad. I think the GT-250 is way better than the 200.
2 things:
1. There is a trade-off between drag and downforce. Higher horsepower cars and cars that are also able to run front aero to help balance the downforce would be better off with one of the larger 250 or 300 wings. Not all cars are able to run front aero due to class restrictions. My point is just that which wing is the "BEST" depends greatly upon what your intended use of the car is, what class you are racing in(i.e. what front aero is allowed), and what power level you are at. For instance, I don't have the points for a front splitter so I am venting the front hood to reduce front end lift, and I also went from a staggered tire setup to a square setup in order to counteract understeer that could be caused by addition of the rear wing. I knew I wanted a smaller wing so as not to upset the handling bias too much without a front splitter, so for me the GTC-200 seemed like the "best" choice for MY car. Those with higher hp to overcome drag and who can run front aero to balance larger rear aero would be better off with one of the bigger wings.

2. When was the study conducted? APR changed the design of the 200 wing and I understand the Version 2 GTC200 wing is far superior and creates more downforce with equal or less drag.

Just as an aside.... I look at what the guys that are faster than me are running and get their feedback. I have heard a lot of good things about the 200, but again I think it is VERY much dependent on what other mods your car has. The "Best" wing for one person might not be the "Best" for someone else.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:39 AM

The problem with the 200 as was explained to me is that in real world application it suffers greatly from flow separation. It will still provide down force but with a much higher LD ratio than advertised.

IMO the reason you hear so many people say the GT-200 is good is because it is the only wing at that price-point.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk180
If I were buying brand new I would probably spring for the GT-250. But I recently got offered a hell of a deal on a GTC-300 that I couldn't pass up. So while part of me has concerns, there's others in my ear saying they ran big wings and I should be fine if I can match up the downforce out front. So we'll see. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

I've got a 4" splitter on my car with the GT250. I started with the wing a neutral AOA and increased the AOA a few sessions at a time until the car felt balanced.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:18 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I have 2 questions:

1) How do have you determined if a wing has too much drag? As Snowmants said, depending on the rules one limitation is how much front downforce can be created for balance. However, if you can add the necessary splitter, what would be the reason to run less downforce? Is it track specific?

2) This discussion has focused on APR wings. Are they currently preferred to the J's Racing and Voltex wings? Both J's Racing and Voltex offer 2 step wings where the top piece seems to be a split flap. Voltex offers a 'Gurney lip" on the flap. Are all those considered to have too much drag?

Quick Reply: Opinions please: APR GT-250 vs GTC-300