S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Opinions please: APR GT-250 vs GTC-300

Old 01-15-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

1/2" plywood is pretty strong too, i can jump on my splitter, if it brakes well its only 35$ to replace
Old 01-15-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
1/2" plywood is pretty strong too, i can jump on my splitter, if it brakes well its only 35$ to replace

But for maybe $15 more you could have used smooth, cabinet grade plywood, glued some inexpensive aluminum to the bottom, and used flush or button head socket bolts with a potentially significant improvement in effectiveness. You could have also added aluminum sideplates.

This is the Stohr WF1 splitter:

Old 01-15-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
But for maybe $15 more you could have used smooth, cabinet grade plywood, glued some inexpensive aluminum to the bottom, and used flush or button head socket bolts with a potentially significant improvement in effectiveness. You could have also added aluminum sideplates.

This is the Stohr WF1 splitter:

that front splitter is made outta wood? If so that's the best splitter iv ever seen.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kirk180
Hello everyone. Last off seasons track mods were dedicated to wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, etc. This winter I want to focus on aero for next season. My car is on the track approx. 90% of the time it's driven with various groups HPDE's and such. Anyway, I've already decided I'm getting an AP2 bumper with CR lip, and an APR splitter. However, the part I'm stuck on is which wing to get, the GT-250 or the GTC-300. I have and plan to keep running NA. I've been told by some to run a GT-250 if I'm planning to keep NA, and that a GTC-300 will cause too much drag. I've got others telling me to get the GTC-300 now and it'll be great for the track. Not sure which side to listen to. I like the looks of the 300 more, but feel maybe the 250 is the better fit for a NA S2k. Would just like to here the thoughts of those out there that have ran them.

Thanks!
Obviously, I don't own either. However, unless someone has owned both and others they probably won't be able to make the comparison.

The wings are close enough on downforce that little differences in placement, roof, splitter, suspension setup will make it hard to compare.

The images in the APR CFDs don't show the mounts. Probably why they didn't show a new CFD for the GT-250 swan neck. Swan necks seem to have real advantages, and are common in racing classes where it counts. In one thread it was pointed out that airplanes never mount their engines on top of the wing, which would be equivalent to where a conventional mount would be.

The swan necks, especially chassis mount, seem to place the wings further back and higher, minimizing effects from the roof. Battle Aero swan neck would seem to be the least expensive. One poster her has it. Other than that, the other swan necks appear to be much more expensive.

On all the 3D shapes, it is very unclear how well they match up to the aeroflows on the rear of an S2000 with a roof.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:48 PM

On another note, HRP sells endplates for SCCA Prototype 1 and Prototype 2 classes. Apparently $190 each. Splitters - Hurley Racing Products . It doesn't say their length, but it looks like they could be mounted on nearly any splitter with a flat mounting surface, even plywood.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
that front splitter is made outta wood? If so that's the best splitter iv ever seen.
No, it's carbon. I showed it to represent a leading edge splitter. Anhedral to limit porpoising. Endplates. Rounded leading edge. It probably has a bit more shape because of the more elaborate underbody...but from the chassis picture, you can see it is just a splitter.

Often seeing what is possible provides criteria for evaluating what is, especially within budget constraints.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

On another note, HRP sells endplates for SCCA Prototype 1 and Prototype 2 classes. Apparently $190 each. Splitters - Hurley Racing Products . It doesn't say their length, but it looks like they could be mounted on nearly any splitter with a flat mounting surface, even plywood.

^^^Seems logical. How do those mount to your splitter? And how much splitter do you need handing out the side for that to mount to? I believe my splitter only hangs out 1.5" on the sides by the wheels.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kirk180
^^^Seems logical. How do those mount to your splitter? And how much splitter do you need handing out the side for that to mount to? I believe my splitter only hangs out 1.5" on the sides by the wheels.
There is a picture on the website that shows either a bolt or a self-tapping screw, in either event with socket button-head. An industrial adhesive probably would also work if there was enough area on the side of the splitter (Lotus Elan/Exige chassis are held together with adhesives). I imagine an e-mail or a call will get a few alternatives. It looks like it creates a vortex to seal the bottom, given the cost, one issue would be keeping it from scraping

Which wing are you leaning toward?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:56 AM

In 2006, Science of Speed posted this on the forum. It has a front splitter with a small endplate, vented hood, large rear wing mounted high and back, and a diffuser. The diffuser may have had a full flat underbody kit. The angle of the diffuser looks a bit severe; research I've seen is pointing to shallower angles (~10°). That and the wing mount may just reflect the best thinking on the subject at the time.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Which wing are you leaning toward?
I already pulled the trigger on a trunk mounted GTC-300 that has since arrived, and I ordered a wasp splitter to go 3" out front. Running an AP2 bumper with CR lip as well. So far that's what I got.

Quick Reply: Opinions please: APR GT-250 vs GTC-300