S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification

Old 09-19-2015, 06:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I also read that using a nail to get the holes where they need to be is much safer than drilling. Just throwing that out there.
Safer perhaps, but you create a lip pointing up/vertical which would create a barrier to the oil dropping down thru the hole.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1442710968' post='23752166

I also read that using a nail to get the holes where they need to be is much safer than drilling. Just throwing that out there.
Safer perhaps, but you create a lip pointing up/vertical which would create a barrier to the oil dropping down thru the hole.
Not as much as if you use a roofing nail with 4 sides...will create partitions for the oil to run down

The following users liked this post:
S2K VINCE (05-05-2023)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Again, thanks for the great write up. It has been discussed before, but nobody did such a great step by step.

So, since you've done this, have you been to the track, and if so, any oil in your catch cans?

And, if no oil in your catch cans, what are your thoughts of just not having any catch cans and plumbing your PCV and breather vents and hoses normally (I assume the SC has a spot to plug the breather line in?)?
For the 2 valve covers I did, I noticed a very small amount of oil accumulated compared to no modifications. However, the real test will come in early October as I am doing one for a local owner tomorrow. He will be running Gingerman and turn 10 is notorious for S2k smoke screens.

Generally, you will still get some oil in the catch can, but it is extremely minimal compared to what you see when the valve cover is not modified.

Theoretically you could recirculate everything, but I highly recommend a catch can for cars driven on the track. Being able to look into a catch can is a priceless option for diagnosing issues related to the health of the engine.

The SOS kit has a hole in the intake arm for the valve cover breather fitting. For SC/Turbo high boost pressure/weak compression engines with more than normal blowby, I recommend ditching the PCV and replacing it with the fitting I mention in the first post as you want to avoid pressurized air inside the engine. A single 1/2 hose on the valve cover doesn't cut it in these conditions, and this is when you lose HP and the oil dip stick will pop out (worn out o rings do not help either)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1442716572' post='23752191
[quote name='RedCelica' timestamp='1442710968' post='23752166']
Not as much as if you use a roofing nail with 4 sides...will create partitions for the oil to run down

[/quote]

I think this is something to avoid doing.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

https://www.s2kca.com/S2000/showthre...38#post1020038

Was more gearing towards the "fragmentation" side of things, and with the roofing nailing having 4 sides, it still leaves room for the oil to run down. If you're removing the baffle entirely and going to ensure there's no fragments, by all means drill.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

There seems to be some discrepancy on the need for addressing this issue based on cars modification level and the specific track. I have yet to run a catch can or any provisions at the Ridge in WA being N/A on big street tires with an F22/valve cover. I have always bypassed the front valve cover breather because I don't like the idea of getting hot oil vapor circulating through the intake no matter what, and I just leave the factory pcv in place. I never dealt with any oil blow out of the breather filter/valve cover. The valve cover is always clean and after 4-5 20min sessions I see 1-2 x marks on dipstick at most lost. I imagine that is just purely evaporation from the high oil temp. I see no smoke clouds behind me and if there is it must be very minimal because ive never been blacked flagged yet.

I think for those that do have have an issue, the valve cover mod looks to be a worthy one to address the majority of the problem and id consider doing it if i needed.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:32 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

best i could find, i know i have some better ones out there showing the smoke screen. here is what it looks like for those who havent seen how bad it really is. that is me in the silver s2k

fast forward to 14:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3o6sCvFcpw
Old 09-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
There seems to be some discrepancy on the need for addressing this issue based on cars modification level and the specific track. I have yet to run a catch can or any provisions at the Ridge in WA being N/A on big street tires with an F22/valve cover. I have always bypassed the front valve cover breather because I don't like the idea of getting hot oil vapor circulating through the intake no matter what, and I just leave the factory pcv in place. I never dealt with any oil blow out of the breather filter/valve cover. The valve cover is always clean and after 4-5 20min sessions I see 1-2 x marks on dipstick at most lost. I imagine that is just purely evaporation from the high oil temp. I see no smoke clouds behind me and if there is it must be very minimal because ive never been blacked flagged yet.

I think for those that do have have an issue, the valve cover mod looks to be a worthy one to address the majority of the problem and id consider doing it if i needed.
I agree. For me at Blackhawk Farms with continental slicks I had trouble, but not on street tires. At Gingerman it will smoke for an S2k even on street tires. It is very obvious when it happens.

For cars/track this happens at/to, you need to do this modification. Lets start a list of track people have the issue at:

The S2000 smokescreen track list (with details when available):
Blackhawk Farms Raceway South Beloit, IL (on Slicks)
Gingerman Raceway South Haven, MI (On street tires at Turn 10)
Buttonwillow Track @ Riverside corner (mostly stock CR with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires)
Old 09-21-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this issue in Riverside corner at Buttonwillow this weekend. We were in a mostly stock CR running Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1442717806' post='23752195
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1442716572' post='23752191']
[quote name='RedCelica' timestamp='1442710968' post='23752166']

[/quote]

I think this is something to avoid doing.
[/quote]

Why?

Quick Reply: RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification