S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RE-11A VS DIREZZA ZII ON C/R

Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE-11A VS DIREZZA ZII ON C/R

I really like my RE-11 but its time to replace it, i hesitate between RE-11A and DIREZZA ZII, RE-11 was perfect to me, the only tires that last me all the summer (Hankook V12 is worn half summer), RE-11 was very good on wet and dry, smooth and very, very easy to control and so precise on my old AP2 set-up but know nothing of the DIREZZA tires except that it was very appreciated on S2KI, how it compare to RE-11 or RE-11a?

Do it last as long as RE-11, i read that it was more precise on steering but with my AP1 manual rack, my RE-11 was toutchy in straight line (225/45/17 - 255/40/17 AP2 stock wheels), you need 2 hands on steering!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:40 AM

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=172

I had ZIIs on my last car. They are freaking awesome. I had RE-11As installed today, cannot report back on them too much since i just drove them home basically. I made my decision based on reality -- in that my S2000 is a double-duty car. The ZII many believe is the "fastest" tire (arguably, says BFG's Rival), I can attest that it is razor-sharp and offers up great grip along with precision. However, it is the single loudest tire I've ever experienced aside from Super Swampers. It howled so loud my friends would not drive next to me on the interstate for long periods of time. lol I made a concession to the slightly more road-friendly RE-11A. I only autocross locally and to this day I've never won an autocross anyways so my intentions are to have a tire that exhibits the characteristics of what TireRack labels "Extreme Performance" tires for my personal enjoyment while I continue to learn, without simply trying to modify the car to what the world tells me will be the "best" (I've autocrossed for 10+ years but never regularly enough to get actually good at it, despite owning the "best" tires on occasion). After checking out a lot of reviews and debating -- I made my decision based on my personal needs. You should do the same.

Both my past Z1s and ZIIs had great treadlife and I really have nothing but good things to say about the Dunlop tires -- they just didn't fit my specific needs as well as the RE-11A did for this time around. We will see.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM

Can't attest to the RE11As, but have run ZIIs for 11 months now with one track day. Grip is fantastic, and wear is markedly better than the ZI which lasted only six months with two track days.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For a car that sees street duty and no competition, I would go for RE11As. They are great tires.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmm, I've had my ZII's on the highway and they were not loud at all.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i currently have both re11a's and zII's... i was running the re11a's for autox and recently switched the tires got swapped to my other wheels and now have the zII's to autox this year... if you are looking for something for daily driving and some spirited sundays the re11a would be better. i was originally running the re11a's on 8.5 wheels all the way around as 245's but now on a stock setup with 245 in the rear and 215 in the front. They feel great and predictable... I've only had ZII's now for a month but have had 2 autox's on em and the highway driving to and from and they have more grip noticeably. I'm curious to drive the ZII's in the rain since I loved how the re11a's did.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run RE-11A and my car sees track time and road use. They have been excellent tires and have even impressed a race car driver last summer. With the big drop in price and supposed improvements over RE-11 you can't go wrong.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I was in the same boat as you and when bridgestone had a 70$ instant rebate I went with the re11a's and havent been disappointed. Im a beginner autox'r and the break characteristics are very gradual.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamxpL
Hmm, I've had my ZII's on the highway and they were not loud at all.
Heh! My 3YO granddaughter noticed when I switched from ZIIs to the winter all-seasons. "Nana, did GPA change the tires?" Musta been the sound difference...
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, I went from RE-11 to ZII and both are great for different reasons. I'm not expecting to get the same wear out of the ZII as the RE-11, but I'm impressed so far. The ZII has more grip, but breaks away slightly more abruptly than the RE-11. The big difference for me is the audible feedback. The ZII is pretty quiet while the RE-11 had a nice howl when it was happy and started to screech as you passed the limit. I'm still learning to feel these things, so having that audible feedback was nice and I feel I improved at a quicker rate on the RE-11. If nothing changes in the EHP tire selection between now and when I wear out my ZIIs, I will replace them with RE-11As. If I were a better driver, that may be a different story.

Originally Posted by t-o_double_d
i currently have both re11a's and zII's... i was running the re11a's for autox and recently switched the tires got swapped to my other wheels and now have the zII's to autox this year... if you are looking for something for daily driving and some spirited sundays the re11a would be better. i was originally running the re11a's on 8.5 wheels all the way around as 245's but now on a stock setup with 245 in the rear and 215 in the front. They feel great and predictable... I've only had ZII's now for a month but have had 2 autox's on em and the highway driving to and from and they have more grip noticeably. I'm curious to drive the ZII's in the rain since I loved how the re11a's did.
I had a bit of experience with RE-11s in the rain and I just had a chance last weekend to auto-x on ZIIs in the rain. They're not quite as good as the RE-11 was, but they had nice manners for an EHP tire and more feel than I was expecting.

Quick Reply: RE-11A VS DIREZZA ZII ON C/R