S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Are rear toe arms STR legal?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are rear toe arms STR legal?

Just wanted to dbl check that rear Toe arms on my 00 AP1 would be illegal in STR? can i do anything to correct the toe change?
Old 01-07-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think so, as it's a change in suspension geometry. Hopefully someone with more STR experience will reply, but in the mean-time here are the rules. I do know if you lower the car you will have to readjust toe for your new ride height and that's just an alignment parameter, so it's legal.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1458856541
Old 01-08-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, they can be legal. Many manufacturers like to change the bushing type though. You also need to watch out for rollcenter adjusting arms.
Originally Posted by SCCA Rulebook 2016
H. Camber kits (also known as camber compensators) may be installed. These kits consist of either adjustable length arms or arm mounts (including ball joints) that provide a lateral adjustment to the effective length of a control arm. Alignment outside the factory specifications is allowed. The following restrictions apply:
1. On double/unequal arm (e.g., wishbone, multi-link) suspensions, only the upper arms OR lower arms may be modified or replaced, but not both. Non-integral longitudinal arms that primarily control fore/aft wheel movement (e.g., trailing arm(s) or link(s) of a multi-link suspension) may not be replaced, changed, or modified.
5. The replacement arms or mounts must attach to the original standard mounting points. All bushings must meet the requirements of Section 14.8.B. Intermediate mounting points (e.g., shock/spring mounts) may not be moved or relocated on the arm, except as incidental to the camber adjustment. The knuckle/bearing housing/spindle assembly cannot be modified or replaced.
6. Changes in suspension geometry are not allowed except as incidental to the effective arm length change.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:26 PM

I looked at several of the BSK kits and see that they lower the outboard pivot point for the toe-arm in various amounts, to change how the arc of the toe-arm interacts with the arc of the A-arms as the car is lowered. I can see from the wording that you could replace the LCA with one that's adjustable at both inner pivot points and rotate the knuckle to lower the toe-link, but I don't see where in the wording it allows you to change the effective outer pivot point otherwise. Maybe I just don't see it, so feel free to 'splain it.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys, but still not sure if they are legal. The way i read the rules kinda seemed like they were not allowed? i take it roll center adjusters up ft would also b illegal? any input would help
Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Roll center adjusters are illegal
Old 01-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

100% illegal
Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by bborkey
Thanks for the reply guys, but still not sure if they are legal. The way i read the rules kinda seemed like they were not allowed? i take it roll center adjusters up ft would also b illegal? any input would help
Ball joint spacers, long shank ball joints, or other methods to adjust the roll-center front or rear are not legal.

What rules explicitly offer is the ability to run an adjustable upper or lower A-arm, but not both, and it doesn't restrict it to cars that don't already have a way to adjust camber. It also clarifies that "Changes in suspension geometry are not allowed except as incidental to the effective arm length change."

Now, on the S2K, the factory camber adjustment is made with an eccentric on the leading inner pivot of the lower control arm. When you adjust that eccentric, it also rolls the knuckle and changes the vertical position of the toe-link slightly. That changes the toe of the rear wheel, so the toe-arm has an eccentric on the inboard end to correct the static toe setting. It also has an incidental effect on the toe-curve and bump-steer characteristics.

The rules don't allow you to change from bushings to spherical bearings, but it doesn't say how you make the length change to the UCA or LCA. For example, most folks would just make the LCA longer or UCA shorter, but you could make an A-arm that has the front, rear, or both inner bushings attached to the A-arm in a way that you could adjust them in or out to change the effective length of the arm for camber adjustment. The LCA has the OEM eccentric on the leading inner pivot, so if you used the allowance to use an aftermarket UCA with an adjuster on the trailing inner pivot, you could use a combination of the LCA and UCA adjusters to set camber in a way that has "incidental" changes in the vertical position of the toe-arm and the resulting change in the bump-steer curve. Both the OEM and any aftermarket method of doing this also changes the vertical alignment of the upper and lower ball-joints in a way that changes the rear-wheel caster, but with the minute amount of rear-steer involved is a minor consideration. This is my interpretation and opinion and is worth exactly how much you paid for it! ;-)
Old 01-10-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by djsilverjohnson
I looked at several of the BSK kits and see that they lower the outboard pivot point for the toe-arm in various amounts, to change how the arc of the toe-arm interacts with the arc of the A-arms as the car is lowered. I can see from the wording that you could replace the LCA with one that's adjustable at both inner pivot points and rotate the knuckle to lower the toe-link, but I don't see where in the wording it allows you to change the effective outer pivot point otherwise. Maybe I just don't see it, so feel free to 'splain it.
This provision is to introduce another means of adjusting alignment parameters, not to alter suspension geometry. Relocating pivot points and balljoints is a geometry change and not allowed. Replacing rubber bushings with spherical bearings is a bearing type change and not allowed. If you took the stock arms, cut them in half, welded a threaded insert on one half and a threaded rod on the other, that is what you are ok installing.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by imstimpy
This provision is to introduce another means of adjusting alignment parameters, not to alter suspension geometry. Relocating pivot points and balljoints is a geometry change and not allowed. Replacing rubber bushings with spherical bearings is a bearing type change and not allowed. If you took the stock arms, cut them in half, welded a threaded insert on one half and a threaded rod on the other, that is what you are ok installing.
That will work!

So to the OP, you can replace either the upper A-arm or the lower A-arm with a length adjustable A-arm, but not both, and it cannot have spherical bearings in place of rubber bushings and it can't have extended shank ball joints to change roll-center. As far as I can see, there's no allowance for replacing the toe-link, but it does already have an eccentric adjuster on it, and if you need more adjustment you can add an offset bushing on the inboard end.

If it was me, this would be what I would do; Since the rear lower A-arm already has a camber adjustment eccentric on the leading inner corner, I would make or buy an aftermarket rear upper A-arm with an adjuster on either the trailing inner bushing, or both leading and trailing. One possible cheap option would be to use "camber-bolts to replace the inner bolts on the OEM upper A-arm. That will allow you more than one way to adjust static camber changes, as well as compensate for the incidental changes in static toe and bump steer effects of lowering the car.