Sponsor S2000 Suspension, Brake and Handling Deals Sponsor deals on S2000 suspension and S2000 handling products

Sakebomb Garage Competition Rear Big Brake Kit - RX-8 Caliper Conversion

Old 04-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll drink a SakeBomb to that!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:42 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DTP525
I'll drink a SakeBomb to that!

Cheers!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:56 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Sanding brake pads??? I'm not sure what you mean here.
He is taking a shot at the Urge rear brake setup where you are expected to sand the brake pads to make them fit because they use a slightly thicker vented rotor.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice setup. Not sure if it was mentioned, but curious if it fits AP2v2 wheels
Old 04-07-2016, 06:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From their group buy thread

This should fit pretty much anything 17" and above. We are running 17x9 +49 WedSport TC105N. Radially there is about 2 finger gap between the caliper and barrel. Caliper face to back of wheel spokes is also about 2-3 finger gap. It's basically larger radially but the lateral caliper position remained very close to stock. We are confident that this setup will fit most if not all 17" S2000 wheels.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1459966398' post='23930201
The price is a little high, but this seems like a fantastic kit. Definitely a common sense option compared to buying oem sized vented rotors and then sanding down your $200 pads to make them fit.
One of your competitors sells a rotor for the rear that is stock-sized and requires you to sand down your brake pads in order to make it fit. Your kit makes infinitely more sense.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage' timestamp='1459984263' post='23930530
[quote name='Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1459966398' post='23930201']
The price is a little high, but this seems like a fantastic kit. Definitely a common sense option compared to buying oem sized vented rotors and then sanding down your $200 pads to make them fit.
One of your competitors sells a rotor for the rear that is stock-sized and requires you to sand down your brake pads in order to make it fit. Your kit makes infinitely more sense.
[/quote]

Wow...ok yea that's not how we roll...
Old 04-07-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage' timestamp='1459984263' post='23930530
[/quote]

There's three competitors actually....

I'm using one of them, and am quite happy with the solution. That said, this is pretty awesome, and I might have considered this route if it was available at the time.

However, I'm still concerned about rotor ring supply. Are you able to disclose your supplier and would we be able to go directly to the supplier if 15 years from now, you are no longer in business? I'm thinking along the lines of S2000 classic car. hahahaha

I want to have parts for my 30 year old car. I would think that a company like StopTech, Girodisc, PFC, and wilwood have a slightly higher probability of still being around, and while you guys are definitely turning out quality stuff for the S2000 (and appear to have done so for other makes represented), i'd place your probabilities of being around slightly lower than the aforementioned companies.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1460050424' post='23931396
[quote name='SakeBomb Garage' timestamp='1459984263' post='23930530']
[/quote]

There's three competitors actually....

I'm using one of them, and am quite happy with the solution. That said, this is pretty awesome, and I might have considered this route if it was available at the time.

However, I'm still concerned about rotor ring supply. Are you able to disclose your supplier and would we be able to go directly to the supplier if 15 years from now, you are no longer in business? I'm thinking along the lines of S2000 classic car. hahahaha

I want to have parts for my 30 year old car. I would think that a company like StopTech, Girodisc, PFC, and wilwood have a slightly higher probability of still being around, and while you guys are definitely turning out quality stuff for the S2000 (and appear to have done so for other makes represented), i'd place your probabilities of being around slightly lower than the aforementioned companies.
[/quote]

How about this, if we ever go out of business we'll happily publish the specs/supplier on s2ki and they'll be available for all eternity. Well... until s2ki disappears

A manufacturer like Wilwood will probably be around in 20 years but Girodisc... don't count on it. In the RX7 world, Racing Brake stopped producing a number of parts for the rear RX7 kits they sold, which we were told would not happen. Company age or size really doesn't matter, even OEM Honda parts will be no longer available in 20-30 years. This has already happened for the RX7 with a large number of parts, which only stopped production in 2002.

The SBG FD Competition rear has been in stock, and is still in stock since it was released http://www.sakebombgarage.com/sbg-co...tem-fd3s-rx-7/ . We try to keep at least 10 pairs on hand at any given time. That being said, I have to ask, don't the other kits create the same concern? Nothing is future proof, even Brembo kits but we were hoping to make this as future proof as possible by using a widely available OEM caliper, which can be rebuilt with OEM parts
Old 04-07-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

The OEM size stock disc is 12mm thick... to squeeze a vented rotor in you'd have to really hack the stock caliper and the MOST I could see being able to run is a 14-16mm disc TOPS. There's no air gap at that point... good luck getting a curved vane to actually pump air through that thin of a rotor. The whole point to moving to a properly sized rotor and caliper was to actually pump significant amounts of air through the disc with a wide air-gap and directional curved vanes... you simply can't do this with a stock caliper which is why we went to an RX8 at 20mm thick and 314mm diameter
The Urge OEM sized rotors are precisely what you are describing here and they worked extremely well to help with heat in the rear on an OEM caliper with minor modification to the OEM caliper holder. They will also still work fine with OEM size rotors up front. Running this large of rotors and pad with OEM rotors/pad size up front would not be a good time. So it is good to see people offering various options. The J's kit is similar to the Urge setup but it uses larger diameter vented rotors but retains the OEM caliper with a modified carrier, which also works very well.

Who actually makes the RX-8 rear calipers for Mazda? Any ideas?

Honestly I don't like any of the options currently available for the rear. There must be a good 2-piston caliper out there than can retain the e-brake.

Quick Reply: Sakebomb Garage Competition Rear Big Brake Kit - RX-8 Caliper Conversion