S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Sakebomb Garage Designed AP Racing Competition Front Big Brake Kit

Old 04-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Sakebomb Garage Designed AP Racing Competition Front Big Brake Kit

***In final stages of production, available for pre-order now, for the one time only special introductory sales price! 15 kits available*** Click here for group buy!

We developed this 325mm AP Competition brake kit as a complete out-of-the-box competition racing package, with no cost spared on components. This kit features 325x32mm AP Racing extreme efficiency 72 directional curved vane fully floating rotors, 2024-t351 racing grade extreme-temperature-stable hats, AP Racing Calipers with stainless pistons, high-temp piston seals, anti-knockback springs, and 20mm pads. 6061-t6 SBG designed caliper brackets, and SBG Stainless Steel brake lines. We built this kit as the ultimate track-ready brake kit with heat management, maximum braking capacity, and highest efficiency in mind.

Name:  CBBC01C8-C29A-40B7-8A06-44C85FD1FEE1_zpsbpjcpbeu.jpg
Views: 8625
Size:  255.4 KB

...and yes, it's compatible with our S2000 Vented Competition Rear Brake Kit, out of the box!

Isn't there already an AP Competition brake kit?
We have worked hand-in-hand with Essex for many years now, who designed and sells the 299mm version of this setup (please check our website if you're interested in purchasing on of these kits, they are absolutely still for sale and an amazing braking setup). We had previously worked with Essex through development of our 325x32mm AP Competition BBK for the FD3S RX7 - considered the gold standard for track-ready competition brake kits for the FD chassis (please see the FD section of our website if you're interested). With a similar weight, 50/50 weight distribution, and power potential compared to the S2000, in general the FD platform requirements are comparable. After months of testing we found the 325mm kit to be the best balance of heat management, weight, and durability for the FD - a similar platform in many ways. We built the 325mm kit realizing that Essex was faced with the design constraints associated with the small stock S2000 rear brake which prevented a larger front rotor from being used (for bias reasons). While we feel the Essex kit is still a fantastic option, have sold many to date, and continue to recommend and sell the 299mm kit... when we developed the SakeBomb Garage 325mm AP brake kit as an up-sized option, which can be used with our SBG Competition Vented Rear kit (here). The SBG 325mm version employs the same caliper as the Essex 299mm kit, but with a larger rotor for more mechanical torque and higher heat absorption and extraction capabilities for an ultimate no-compromise solution. They're both great setups, and we happily recommend either depending on your cars particular application and use. For those running our vented Competition Rear RX8 Rear Brake Kit we recommend the 325mm version.

Name:  3A8BD767-213E-4E85-8DA7-2E32D904CB5E_zpsdnwtbp8k.jpg
Views: 6671
Size:  182.7 KB

Our goal for this braking system was to shatter the performance limitations offered by most of the current braking solutions on the market. We chose to engineer our brake setup around AP racing components based on their continued success in top tier motorsports, such as the American Le Mans series, Grand-Am, NASCAR Sprint Cup, NASCAR Nationwide Series, and Formula 1.

The upfront cost of a brake package is not the only factor when deciding on a upgraded brake solution. The cost of replacement parts such as pads and rotor rings must also be factored into the equation. Fortunately the caliper we utilized has a very common pad shape, which translates into a potential $100+ savings as compared to average pad replacement costs. The AP CP8350 caliper also accepts 20mm pads which are significantly thicker than most setups, further adding to the reduced pad replacement cost and frequency. Combine the reduced pad costs with the long service life of the AP J-Hook rotors, and over the course of a few seasons, and this setup can potentially pay for itself in savings alone! Cheaper maintenance costs, better performance, race quality components... Our package is a no brainer.

Our Brake Package Includes:
  • Two AP CP8350 Forged Aluminum Calipers
  • Two AP 325x32mm floating J-Hook Rotors
  • SBG hard anodized bells/hats in 2024-t351 aerospace grade aluminum, with fully floating bobbins and mil-spec hardware (Anti-Knockback/Anti-Squeal clips optional)
  • SBG hard anodized caliper mounting bracket - 6061-t6 with hardware
  • SBG DOT approved stainless steel brake lines, with abrasion/dirt resistant sleeve
  • Step-by-Step pictorial installation guide
  • Brake pads are NOT included*

Brake pad buyers guide:
*Brake pads for this caliper are readily available from nearly every pad manufacturer. As pad choice varies greatly depending on personal preference, application, and desired cost, we decided not to include pads to reduce the total cost as one pad obviously can not fit all racing applications. To see a list of commonly used pads please visit the following Link. We are able to source many other pads such as Performance Friction, Ferrodo, Hawk, and Endless.

We have made custom hard anodized aluminum rotor hats, caliper brackets and brake lines creating a complete bolt on kit. The caliper we include with the kit is a true motorsports grade caliper (originally a rally caliper). We designed this kit to be used for primarily race use IE: Competitive racing, track days, time attack, hill climbs, etc. But through the use of Anti-Knockback clips (anti-rattle/squeal springs) on the discs we are able to offer a street friendly competition level brake package that will take any abuse you can throw at it.

The AP calipers used in our system allows 20mm thick pads, which not only add additional thermal barrier between the rotor and caliper, but they will also last longer then a standard competition brake pad. Many other calipers use pads that are 12-17mm’s thick resulting in reduced thermal insulation (potentially more brake fluid boiling), and significantly increased pad replacement intervals. Bang for buck, for consumables such as pads and rotor rings, this kit is extraordinarily cost effective!

AP CP8350 Calipers Specs & Benefits:

• Stainless steel pistons
  • 3lb. Anti-knockback springs (keep pistons in position in spite of any wheel deflection)
  • Forged aluminum caliper construction weighs (AP’s street caliper line uses cast aluminum calipers)
  • Light weight (about 4 lbs)
  • Integrated bleed screw and crossover tube protection
  • Durable hard anodized finish - no paint to get destroyed by brake fluid and dust over time!
  • Common pad shape (readily available pads from various manufactures)
  • Calipers can be professionally serviced by Essex Parts Services (Exclusive Importer of AP Racing Motorsports products).

The AP 325mm J-hook rotor rings that are supplied with this kit directly come from AP’s motorsports line of iron brake discs. The J-Hook slot pattern is AP’s latest, most aggressive slot pattern available. These discs are similar to the discs being purchased by the top teams in various motorsports categories around the world. AP Racing's Heavy Duty J Hook Racing Discs are specifically designed to handle race abuse. They provide increased cooling, less judder, more thermal stability, fewer cracks, and an increased service life vs. competing discs. When you run an AP disc, you can be confident that you're using the best parts available at any price point. Years of research into metallurgy and rotor design has yielded some of the best rings money can buy!

“Most aftermarket discs have 30 to 48 vanes. Many times those vanes are straight, or non-directional, with a sub-optimal amount of space between disc faces. After extensive CFD and thermal stress analysis, AP designed the Heavy Duty J-Hook with 70 vanes and a wide 16.5mm air gap to increase airspeed and heat transfer, while reducing deflection and remaining reasonably lightweight.”

“The increased directional vane count on the J Hook Heavy Duty Disc amplifies air speed through the disc, reduces air recirculation between vents, and also increases convective heat transfer and heat distribution. In other words, both air and heat move more quickly and evenly through the disc, creating increased stability under the extreme loads of racetrack use. The disc is less prone to coning, distortion, and cracking, while providing cooler running temperatures, less brake fade, reduced judder, and a longer service life.”

AP3908 J-Hook Rotor Specs & Benefits:

• Industry/competition race standard rotors
  • 70 directional vanes heavy duty design, 16.5mm air gap
  • True floating rotor design to allow axial float and radial heat expansion of the disc
  • Floating rotor also reduces stress and fatigue on the brake hats
  • Components in this kit are from AP’s competition product line (these are NOT “street” components)
  • 50 years of brake engineering experience are in these rotors and calipers
  • AP J Hook discs can be found on 75% or more of the NASCAR Sprint Cup grid, and AP components are supplied to most top teams in Grand-Am, ALMS, BTCC, WTCC, and Super GT.
  • AP’s proprietary gray iron alloy with extreme temperature and wear durability
  • AP’s exclusive J Hook design to promote even heat distribution and reducing cracking, as well as increased leading edge surface area for increased initial “bite” compared to standard slotted rotors.
  • Longer service life means less time and money spent swapping rotor rings.

Hands down, these rotors are one of the best competition rotors money can buy.

NOTE: 17" aftermarket rims are required. This brake kit will not work the the stock 16" rims. Please check for wheel fitment before purchasing, wheel spacers may be required depending on wheel spoke shape and offset.

Track test day =)

Old 04-11-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gorgeous brakes. I would say this is the best braking solution offered right now. Personally I already have the stoptech, but or anyone on the fence the brake feel of a bbk is fantastic and I have never experienced fading so I think they are a very wotthwhile upgrade.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Good stuff! Great to see this setup offered with the 325mm rotors.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the cost of replacement rotor rings on this 325mm set? The 299mm rotor rings were fairly priced making them a good option at the time.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:53 AM

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

A local has the AP racing kit offered by another vendor here, and I gotta say the 299mm rotors just look too small imo. I guess I'm a ricer at heart..? Compared to the stoptech kit the rotors look small. I get why they did it because they didn't want to shift the bias forward, but a bigger rotor certainly looks better. The extra 1" makes a big difference.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I loved my StopTech kit, bigger rotors, pretty good pad selection, relatively easy to find replacement rings... and you can usually find the front kit brand new for $1900.

I now have AP brakes on my current car... I've been wanting to switch to a StopTech kit, as the APs just aren't as confidence inspiring.

It's awesome companies are still making products for the S2000 though!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by DTP525
What's the cost of replacement rotor rings on this 325mm set? The 299mm rotor rings were fairly priced making them a good option at the time.
$245 for the 325mm
$173 for the 299mm

The cost is a bit higher, but the service life is much longer. If I were to take a guess, back to back, you're still going to come out ahead with the larger discs as far as dollars per year per rotor. Apples for apples (299 vs 325) you're able to run a less aggressive pad as the rotor temps are lower, which will will be more gentle to discs and will create less micro-cracking in the rotor surface over time. Honestly I can't say for sure, but based on our disc-reorders from the FD 325mm kits, I'd bet the 325 is a better "bargain" if you look at ring replacement costs over an entire race season.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:05 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
A local has the AP racing kit offered by another vendor here, and I gotta say the 299mm rotors just look too small imo. I guess I'm a ricer at heart..? Compared to the stoptech kit the rotors look small. I get why they did it because they didn't want to shift the bias forward, but a bigger rotor certainly looks better. The extra 1" makes a big difference.
That's what she said!

Yeah it's not just you, we've had comments from our S2K 299mm customers complaining about the looks. It wasn't the impetus for making this kit at all, but it was a nice side benefit.

Back to our original point though, bigger is always better right?

Old 04-12-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brake pad buyers guide:
*Brake pads for this caliper are readily available from nearly every pad manufacturer. As pad choice varies greatly depending on personal preference, application, and desired cost, we decided not to include pads to reduce the total cost as one pad obviously can not fit all racing applications. To see a list of commonly used pads please visit the following Link. We are able to source many other pads such as Performance Friction, Ferrodo, Hawk, and Endless.

No link for pad options?
Old 04-12-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is a Fitment template available?

Quick Reply: Sakebomb Garage Designed AP Racing Competition Front Big Brake Kit