S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback

Old 06-07-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback

SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback

Not great for AP2's

I just finished attempting to install the SakeBomb Garage Oil Cooler and found a few issues with the mounting location for my 2005 AP2.

Just informational purposes my configuration follows:
25 row cooler upgrade
Nylon line upgrade
180* thermostat

The instructions included were ok, although they had very few pictures to illustrate what they were referring to, in any case a person with some mechanical knowledge could probably complete the install without them. I will also say that the cooler (Setrab) is of very high quality, and their lines/fittings appear to be of high quality as well, however the longer line one is a bit too long and so it sticks up more than the other, I didn't take pics and it's not a severe issue, I will just have to shorten it later.

The main issue with their instructions/kit design is that they completely omit the brace behind the bumper beam, and the kit interferes with this brace so you cannot use both as you can with other kits. My understanding is that this brace is specific to AP2’s and that the AP1 does not have it so those should be ok. The passenger side mount interferes with the brace and once I modified the mount I found that the oil port was blocked by the brace so then that had to be modified as well. See pics below for how I had to "customize" (ie. cut) the brace as well as the provided mount, and although I cut and flattened them a significant amount, it still needs more since the tolerance is so tight that the steel brace will rub the aluminum cooler with engine vibration which of course will not turn out well for the oil pressure over time.

I wish these issues had been addressed before the kit was put in production and thus before I installed it since it sucks to cut into a structural brace and a brand new kit. I reached out to SakeBomb and they indicated that their customer cars didn't have the brace pictured, however one of them admitted he was aware of the issue and the work-around was to move the brace forward and only secure it with 1 bolt on each side instead of 2. Obviously that won't work for me or I assume the majority of the track guys and gals since braces are important and sacrificing the integrity of one instead of remedying the actual issue isn't acceptable.

Anyway I wanted to let the community know about my experience, feel free to ask any questions.
Attached Thumbnails SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-12-35-04-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-12-44-19-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-37-33-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-37-39-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-37-54-pm.jpg  

SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-38-16-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-41-35-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-47-34-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-47-40-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-46-49-pm.jpg  

SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-46-54-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-1-47-15-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-5-25-33-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-5-25-38-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-8-53-19-pm.jpg  

SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-8-53-25-pm.jpg   SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback-photo-may-29-8-53-30-pm.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
hwyix (04-06-2018)
Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for sharing
Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the write up and detailed pics. I'll be installing this on my 2005 pretty soon.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That brace doesn't really do much lol
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 AM

Good info. I too bought the kit but with a 15 row and did not mount it in the recommended location (bumper mount in front of wheel well) but due to continued high oil temps I purchased a 25 row and will be going to relocate it in front of the radiator. My plan is to fab up a custom bracket and mount it on the drivers side.

Hopefully sakebomb gets this figured out. I was very impressed with the kit as well as the customer service I received. I expect that they will do something and offer a workaround for AP2 applications.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Install on my 03 was a breeze. Only thing I'd say is the lines are a little long. I wrapped them in rubber hose and metal zipped tied them together so they don't melt the wiring harness by the crossbeam. Quality on my kit was spot on though.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by saleach
Good info. I too bought the kit but with a 15 row and did not mount it in the recommended location (bumper mount in front of wheel well) but due to continued high oil temps I purchased a 25 row and will be going to relocate it in front of the radiator. My plan is to fab up a custom bracket and mount it on the drivers side.

Hopefully sakebomb gets this figured out. I was very impressed with the kit as well as the customer service I received. I expect that they will do something and offer a workaround for AP2 applications.

What kind of power and conditions were you still running hot under? I am on the fence about which size to go with.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 00MUGENS2
That brace doesn't really do much lol
Yeah, Honda threw it on just to waste money.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually completed install on the SBG oil cooler kit this past weekend on my 2004 (AP2).

I encountered these same issues. In addition, my 19 row cooler was not level using the brackets as-shipped. Maybe the mounting point in the center is of the radiator is different from AP2 to AP1. It looks like the 25 row cooler pictured above has the same issue, it looks a little high on the right (driver) side. I got around this by drilling some extra holes in the bracket so it would sit level. As for the brace behind the bumper? I left it out, I figured the bumper itself provides adequate bracing for the front of the frame.

Oh and another thing, flame suit on, I had to drill a hole in the bottom rear corner of my CTE intake box so i could run the lines through my airbox. I know this is not ideal as they will be warm, but it's the only route I had with the lines provided. In no way do think this is a deficiancy on SBG's part. There's no way they can design for every intake on the market for this car. I believe the CTE would be in the way of any oil lines on any kit.

As a note, I did not convey or contact SBG about this. I just chalked it up to subtle differences of AP1 to AP2, and that I'm in a little time crunch for track prep later this month. So i didn't have time to deal with the resolution. I do wish the kit would have been test fitted on an AP2 though, the brace and level issues would have been obvious to the designer.

The parts are top-notch quality, I don't want this to come across as a knock on SBG. Maybe they can work on a Version "AP2.0" for future sales.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arro
I actually completed install on the SBG oil cooler kit this past weekend on my 2004 (AP2).

I encountered these same issues. In addition, my 19 row cooler was not level using the brackets as-shipped. Maybe the mounting point in the center is of the radiator is different from AP2 to AP1. It looks like the 25 row cooler pictured above has the same issue, it looks a little high on the right (driver) side. I got around this by drilling some extra holes in the bracket so it would sit level. As for the brace behind the bumper? I left it out, I figured the bumper itself provides adequate bracing for the front of the frame.

Oh and another thing, flame suit on, I had to drill a hole in the bottom rear corner of my CTE intake box so i could run the lines through my airbox. I know this is not ideal as they will be warm, but it's the only route I had with the lines provided. In no way do think this is a deficiancy on SBG's part. There's no way they can design for every intake on the market for this car. I believe the CTE would be in the way of any oil lines on any kit.

As a note, I did not convey or contact SBG about this. I just chalked it up to subtle differences of AP1 to AP2, and that I'm in a little time crunch for track prep later this month. So i didn't have time to deal with the resolution. I do wish the kit would have been test fitted on an AP2 though, the brace and level issues would have been obvious to the designer.

The parts are top-notch quality, I don't want this to come across as a knock on SBG. Maybe they can work on a Version "AP2.0" for future sales.
Did I read this correctly, you removed your front rebar? (Crash bar)

Quick Reply: SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback