S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback

Old 06-10-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Davo307
Originally Posted by Arro' timestamp='1465558810' post='23989866
I actually completed install on the SBG oil cooler kit this past weekend on my 2004 (AP2).

I encountered these same issues. In addition, my 19 row cooler was not level using the brackets as-shipped. Maybe the mounting point in the center is of the radiator is different from AP2 to AP1. It looks like the 25 row cooler pictured above has the same issue, it looks a little high on the right (driver) side. I got around this by drilling some extra holes in the bracket so it would sit level. As for the brace behind the bumper? I left it out, I figured the bumper itself provides adequate bracing for the front of the frame.

Oh and another thing, flame suit on, I had to drill a hole in the bottom rear corner of my CTE intake box so i could run the lines through my airbox. I know this is not ideal as they will be warm, but it's the only route I had with the lines provided. In no way do think this is a deficiancy on SBG's part. There's no way they can design for every intake on the market for this car. I believe the CTE would be in the way of any oil lines on any kit.

As a note, I did not convey or contact SBG about this. I just chalked it up to subtle differences of AP1 to AP2, and that I'm in a little time crunch for track prep later this month. So i didn't have time to deal with the resolution. I do wish the kit would have been test fitted on an AP2 though, the brace and level issues would have been obvious to the designer.

The parts are top-notch quality, I don't want this to come across as a knock on SBG. Maybe they can work on a Version "AP2.0" for future sales.
Did I read this correctly, you removed your front rebar? (Crash bar)
No, I did not remove the metal crash bar. As I'm referring to it, the bumper is the metal piece, the brace is the small black tubing bolted to the frame just behind the metal bumper. The exterior plastic "bumper" is actually the "bumper cover". Make sense?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arro
Originally Posted by Davo307' timestamp='1465586645' post='23990326
[quote name='Arro' timestamp='1465558810' post='23989866']
I actually completed install on the SBG oil cooler kit this past weekend on my 2004 (AP2).

I encountered these same issues. In addition, my 19 row cooler was not level using the brackets as-shipped. Maybe the mounting point in the center is of the radiator is different from AP2 to AP1. It looks like the 25 row cooler pictured above has the same issue, it looks a little high on the right (driver) side. I got around this by drilling some extra holes in the bracket so it would sit level. As for the brace behind the bumper? I left it out, I figured the bumper itself provides adequate bracing for the front of the frame.

Oh and another thing, flame suit on, I had to drill a hole in the bottom rear corner of my CTE intake box so i could run the lines through my airbox. I know this is not ideal as they will be warm, but it's the only route I had with the lines provided. In no way do think this is a deficiancy on SBG's part. There's no way they can design for every intake on the market for this car. I believe the CTE would be in the way of any oil lines on any kit.

As a note, I did not convey or contact SBG about this. I just chalked it up to subtle differences of AP1 to AP2, and that I'm in a little time crunch for track prep later this month. So i didn't have time to deal with the resolution. I do wish the kit would have been test fitted on an AP2 though, the brace and level issues would have been obvious to the designer.

The parts are top-notch quality, I don't want this to come across as a knock on SBG. Maybe they can work on a Version "AP2.0" for future sales.
Did I read this correctly, you removed your front rebar? (Crash bar)
No, I did not remove the metal crash bar. As I'm referring to it, the bumper is the metal piece, the brace is the small black tubing bolted to the frame just behind the metal bumper. The exterior plastic "bumper" is actually the "bumper cover". Make sense?
[/quote]

Yep! I was like, wtf, really? I hope SBG comes up with something for you Ap2s
Old 06-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
Originally Posted by saleach' timestamp='1465403416' post='23988200
Good info. I too bought the kit but with a 15 row and did not mount it in the recommended location (bumper mount in front of wheel well) but due to continued high oil temps I purchased a 25 row and will be going to relocate it in front of the radiator. My plan is to fab up a custom bracket and mount it on the drivers side.

Hopefully sakebomb gets this figured out. I was very impressed with the kit as well as the customer service I received. I expect that they will do something and offer a workaround for AP2 applications.

What kind of power and conditions were you still running hot under? I am on the fence about which size to go with.
I was running hot at the track after 3-4 laps. (Seeing temps of 270+, idk how high because my alarm is set at 270. Ambient was about 70-80F). I had the 19 row cooler with thermostat. However, I should say that I installed it in the bumper and I think the main problem with this was limited air intake and restricted air exit which resulted in not enough air going through the cooler. I also have my sensor in a sandwich plate between the block and the header so it may be seeing artificial heat added. I wouldn't recommend duplicating my previous setup.

When sizing an oil cooler I would consider the following:
1. Are you boosted? If so, get the bigger oil cooler.
2. Are you going to be tracking it in hot weather? If so, get the bigger oil cooler.
3. Do you have a/c and/or stock radiator? If so, consider smaller oil cooler if mounting in the bumper as it's less restrictive of airflow to your coolant.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, so I just got through my first weekend running the oil cooler kit.

In short, It worked!!!!
I don't have data logs, and my oil temp is read from a sensor in the pan.

Before oil cooler:
75 deg ambient weather
270-280 oil temp

After oil cooler (this past weekend)
92 deg ambient weather
240-250 oil temp

Water temps always hover between 200-205 deg. I ran (4) 30 minute sessions with one 45 minute session at the end of the day, so 5 total sessions per day.

I'm running the SBG 19 row kit with 180 deg thermostat.

In conclusion, despite the hiccups with the kit installing on the AP2, it is a very effective kit. I have no special ducting for the cooler.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Thought I'd bump this thread as I installed the SBG kit last night / today on my AP2. It was the 19 row Setrab and I started last night after some dinner / wine and things didn't line up at all...similar to the OP and interference with the crash bar. I got frustrated and sent SBG a nasti-gram and then went to sleep. I went back at it this morning found some spacers in the parts bag and was able to get a pretty good install with included parts/spacers and without having to modify the crash bar like the OP did.

The following are the caveats 1. Had to drill out some different holes on the passenger side bracket to line up correctly 2. Provided my own bolt for the passenger bracket. 3.If #1 or #2 were done without needing to the instructions were not great.

Overall I'm happy now, bad on me for trying to rush into the job after a work day, I sent SBG an apology. Quality of the kit seems top notch which was key to me, didn't want to be the guy blowing oil on a track due to a homemade hoses blowing during a session. Below is the pic of the tricky area for anyone that may attempt this in the future.

Last edited by lookstoomuch; 02-18-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder if the spacer was their attempt to solve the AP2 difference? Looks like a respectable solution!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey all! Just wanted to post and update here since it looks like there was some confusion recently. Actually thought that we updated here but it looks like we didnt! We actually re-engineered the brackets and everything now fits perfectly for AP2s. All kits that have been shipping since mid-late last year have been v2 kits. Please feel free to let us know if you have questions!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
Thought I'd bump this thread as I installed the SBG kit last night / today on my AP2. It was the 19 row Setrab and I started last night after some dinner / wine and things didn't line up at all...similar to the OP and interference with the crash bar. I got frustrated and sent SBG a nasti-gram and then went to sleep. I went back at it this morning found some spacers in the parts bag and was able to get a pretty good install with included parts/spacers and without having to modify the crash bar like the OP did.

The following are the caveats 1. Had to drill out some different holes on the passenger side bracket to line up correctly 2. Provided my own bolt for the passenger bracket. 3.If #1 or #2 were done without needing to the instructions were not great.

Overall I'm happy now, bad on me for trying to rush into the job after a work day, I sent SBG an apology. Quality of the kit seems top notch which was key to me, didn't want to be the guy blowing oil on a track due to a homemade hoses blowing during a session. Below is the pic of the tricky area for anyone that may attempt this in the future.

Hey lookstoomuch, I believe that spacer you used to mount the cooler above is actually meant to be used with the oil line mount on the fender, I look a pic below.

Also it's been awhile but I should post an update that Sake Bomb did send me version 2 brackets for the kits I had ordered for AP2's, but obviously I already had the cooler in and had modified the bar so I didn't use them, and I didn't think the lines wouldn't reach since I had shortened them, as someone mentioned above one was way too long when I had installed it with the original brackets.

Also a clarification- My understanding is that the bar I modified is a chassis stiffening bar, not a crash beam. The bumper crash beam is located at the front under the bumper cover.
The following users liked this post:
lookstoomuch (03-11-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

How is the oil pressure post oil cooler install? anyone logging this?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpineFD
How is the oil pressure post oil cooler install? anyone logging this?
I'm not logging but after the oil cooler install I installed an oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on it and it's been fine. Unfortunately since I didn't have the gauge preinstall I can't compare to what it was before.

I believe (from memory) it sits around 70-80 on cold start idle, once warm it idles around 40-50, at WOT on track warm its around 93.

Quick Reply: SakeBomb Oil Cooler Install Review/Feedback