S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SPC Upper Camber kit vs. Roll Center Kit

Old 03-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
The key to the rear bump steer is setting it up, which involves a gauge and knowledge
Some knowledge yes, a gauge no.

There is enough information on this website regarding this mod to get a good set up for the ride height. No sense in recreating the wheel every time. In a nutshell, there is only a couple combinations you can run with the supplied spacers, and your ride height dictates how you place them. A trained eye can, along with a basic understanding of what you are trying to achieve is really all you need to improve the oem situation.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 03-03-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The oem ap1 has no significant front bumpsteer with lowering around 1" or so. At the rear the factory toe curve bothers some but not everyone. Limiting suspension travel and reducing static rear toe may be enough to get the desired affect. I use a bsk in the rear and dialed in virtually 0 toe change through the travel. The result was subtle but noticeable. It just adds consistency to the way the car handles imo.

s2k geometry is pretty good from the factory, so I would not go with rca unless you are going with 1.5" or more lowering.

my rule of thumb is not to throw too many suspension parts at the car at once. Go one step at a time, and review likes and dislikes. The Ohlins is a big change on its own.

good luck
Old 03-04-2017, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Some knowledge yes, a gauge no.

There is enough information on this website regarding this mod to get a good set up for the ride height. No sense in recreating the wheel every time. In a nutshell, there is only a couple combinations you can run with the supplied spacers, and your ride height dictates how you place them. A trained eye can, along with a basic understanding of what you are trying to achieve is really all you need to improve the oem situation.
yes and no.

it depends on how sensitive you are. I think most people would be very happy by doing what Junky describes. However if you really want to make sure your toe curve is set up a certain way, bump steer gage is the only way.

i did it on my car but only because I was loaned a $300 gauge for free. Otherwise I would have just used the small bushing
Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

what would the advantages or disadvantages of running an offset balljoint and a spc?
Old 03-05-2017, 08:26 AM

Both are suspension tuning and correcting tools. You want suspension changes to be goal oriented. Throwing parts at it can be very bad.

The factory geometry is designed around the Oem ride height or very near it. Substantial lowering will change the roll center, which changes the handling. Roll center adjusters, usually use a high or offset ball joint to restore the lower control arm position and roll center. This can come with extra camber range which can be desirable.

the upper camber kit, can give you more camber range but not the roll center correction.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Both are suspension tuning and correcting tools. You want suspension changes to be goal oriented. Throwing parts at it can be very bad.

The factory geometry is designed around the Oem ride height or very near it. Substantial lowering will change the roll center, which changes the handling. Roll center adjusters, usually use a high or offset ball joint to restore the lower control arm position and roll center. This can come with extra camber range which can be desirable.

the upper camber kit, can give you more camber range but not the roll center correction.
In addition to this, using the Upper camber kit pulls the wheel in. Contrasting this with the lower ball joint which pushes the bottom of the wheel out. Depending on your wheel setup (offset & width) and fender clearance, capitalizing on either option could be beneficial.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:43 AM

My logic was to use the spcs to get to 7 degrees of caster, then the offset balljoints for the additional track. I'm really not sure if its a good idea or not. I will be ordering bump gauges to find out before i button everything up.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
My logic was to use the spcs to get to 7 degrees of caster, then the offset balljoints for the additional track. I'm really not sure if its a good idea or not. I will be ordering bump gauges to find out before i button everything up.
SPC has no impact on caster
Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
The oem ap1 has no significant front bumpsteer with lowering around 1" or so. k
I have to disagree. It's pretty easy to observe toe change through suspension travel (bumpsteer) by fixing a long rod to the hub or wheel and cycling the suspension up and down with a floor jack. The front of my AP1 had some of the worst bumpsteer I've witnessed for a car not lowered a huge amount (tyre to fender gap approx 20mm). To me it was significant bumpsteer.

I fitted 16mm steering rack spacers (about $5 of 16x40 bar stock and drill four holes) and it has reduced the bump steer a lot.

I drive the car hard and track it and think this is a must do mod. Just my opinion of course.

Cheers,

Earlysport
Old 03-12-2017, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by gtracer
SPC has no impact on caster
"By intentionally angling the bottom plate slot toward the inside rear of the car you can add caster along with camber. I angled my slots about 40º to the rear and run 7º of caster and -3.5º of camber. I didn't set the maximum available negative camber, I could have set more than -3.5º."

https://robrobinette.com/S2000BallJoint.htm

Quick Reply: SPC Upper Camber kit vs. Roll Center Kit