S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Lightweight Battery Recommedations

Old 12-21-2016, 05:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
For the automotive li-ion batteries we talk about here I don't think it's too common with a BMS or logic board as you called it.
A recent example that came to my mind Shorai battery melted! - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums
Holy crap!

Shorai must've really cheaped out with the electronics then. Wow. I would demand an explanation of the failure mechanism from Shorai with a bit of legal pressure if necessary. This is absolutely unacceptable.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Shorai with the appropriate tender. Works great, just make sure you leave it on the tender when parked in the garage and don't jump start it (you won't need to if you leave it on the tender) I also just drive the car to the track and back and very occasionally on the street, so this setup works for me.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had my Shorai for over 3 years, and it's been extremely reliable. My car is a 100% track car, not driven between races, except to move out of trailer and into the shop. I keep it on a shorai charger over the winter. Typically the car goes 3-6 weeks between events during the season, and never needs or receives any charging. I've been very happy, and would recommend it. We also run one in our Chumpcar, it gets the same treatment, and has been just as reliable.

Use the proper charger, and I think theses can hold a charge much longer than people think. I also think they do very well in track cars where things like alarms, clocks, and normal OEM stuff has been removed
Old 12-21-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by shind3
Holy crap!

Shorai must've really cheaped out with the electronics then. Wow. I would demand an explanation of the failure mechanism from Shorai with a bit of legal pressure if necessary. This is absolutely unacceptable.
As far as I know there is no electronics inside the Shorais, it's just the cells and a balance charging port.
Protection circuits for these kind of batteries need to handle several hundred amps, this cost money so there are lots of brands with no protection at all.
I went with a cheap and small 20Ah AGM battery instead which been working great for a couple of years now.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have about 4 years on my Shorai (32ah, if I remember correctly). It has only ever been connected to a "dumb" tender (Harbor Freight). I've completely drained it 3 times (takes about two weeks of sitting without driving/charging) and it has always recovered fine after charging it back up with the tender or giving it a boost with a jump-pack. Will still start the car in 32 degree weather after sitting overnight. If disconnected from the car it still holds charge for months with no issues. This is in a mostly-track car with an aftermarket header (no header heat shield) so it gets abused with heat. At this point it has earned its keep and I'd happily buy another to replace it.

Mine is simply mounted using the OEM battery mounts and the included thick foam to brace it.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Shorai will take a few attempts to start up when it is cold, but will fire up no problem when it is warm though my tune might be part of the problem. This is even when I keep it on the charger. Sometimes I will just pull the battery and keep it indoors when I know I have to drive it early in the morning. Otherwise, I will set my charger to fully charge instead of maintenance mode an hour or two before I have to take the car out.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Marloon
how did you mount it? Do you have pictures?
I have a Saiko Michi catch can, that comes with its own mount bracket. To make up for the height difference since the catch cans can't be lowered, I welded some 1" square tube on the bottom of the mount, and made a ring type base at the bottom of the battery to keep it center. Probably added 2lbs but I don't really care. It's super sturdy and not going anywhere. If you don't have the catch cans you can probably just toss is in there and tighten down the Oem clamp, and or just do the bottom ring. I think password JDM makes a nice mount for it but its about $100 or so.

Name:  20161217_201944.jpg
Views: 2971
Size:  265.8 KB
Old 12-23-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used these and looks decent

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPTUB4..._3bvxyb9JHZBMS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YG3JPCQ..._gbvxyb4GFMWGP