S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Suggestions on oil cooler size and placement

Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestions on oil cooler size and placement

I have an AP1 with a Vortech supercharger and FMIC and plan to add an intercooler (here's the FMIC setup I am using http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...chsc-fmic2.jpg) but I would like some input on the best place to add an oil cooler. The car is my daily driver but it also sees the track and autocross and I want to make sure my oil temp's don't get too high when I'm tracking in triple digit heat.

The simplest would be to mount the cooler between between the FMIC and A/C condenser but I worry my water temp's might be too high with four heat exchangers in series.

I've also considered mounting the oil cooler above the FMIC and cuttiing holes in the bumper such as these - http://www.arrows-japan.com/parts-intake2.html - but I don't know if this will allow me the space for a sufficiently large cooler.

A third solution would be mounting the cooler off to the side behind the faux brake ducts but I have plans to install brake ducting in the future.

Any advice would be extremely helpful
Old 07-23-2011, 02:43 PM

In my experience, you really need to duct any heat exchanger. I think you will need the brake duct inlets for brake ducting... I need them and I am NA.

There was a PWR radiator that had an integrated oil cooler in the FS section. I would probably use something such as that. Just make sure you monitor oil temps during the cooler months.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you currently having problems with oil temps? How hot are they running (please specify track and ambient temperature)?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

I am running a FMIC with a comptech setup and I am using a C&R radiator with built in oil cooler. It works great. Don't install it by the faux ducting, if you don't need the brake ducts now, you will very very soon. Specially with FI at the track.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 AM

Currently I don't have any oil temp numbers as I haven't seen the track since I've had my blower installed but I anticpate higher temps as all of the tracks near me see triple digit heat.

Goldenfri, with the C&R radiator/oil cooler combo did you see any adverse affects in your coolant temperature? Also, about how much boost are you running?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by S2woTh000sand
Currently I don't have any oil temp numbers as I haven't seen the track since I've had my blower installed but I anticpate higher temps as all of the tracks near me see triple digit heat.

Goldenfri, with the C&R radiator/oil cooler combo did you see any adverse affects in your coolant temperature? Also, about how much boost are you running?
I installed the radiator and a front mount intercooler at the same time, so it was hard to tell how much of a difference it made, but my oil temps are with in a good range for me and don't take too much longer to heat up. I was running low boost at the last couple track days, around 4-5psi, but I don't expect it will make much difference with the 6-7 I am running now.