S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

At the track with a super light flywheel

Old 02-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
There is no downside to lightening the flywheel on this car, only benefits, so lighter the better in my experience. If someone chooses a 10-11lb flywheel, they should have just saved their money and stuck with the 14lb ap1 flywheel. If your going to invest in the $300+ of an aftermarket option, do the lightest available- 8lb.
^ +1
Old 02-06-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimpo
ACT Prolite at 8lb. doesn't feel overly light at all. I was actually a bit shocked after installing, I thought coming from a stock AP2 the difference would be much more noticeable. Don't get me wrong, it does feel much better, but it's not such a dramatic effect and the car is definitely easy to drive. Had I known I would have gone for a slightly lighter one, but no idea if anyone makes it and the ACT was tried and true by many.
only thing lighter is an aluminum one like fidanza. even then that's only 7lbs so not really worth it over the chromoly ACT.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

ClutchMasters can build their multi-plate 7.25" clutch with one pressure plate dropping the weight between 3 lb and 4 lb. It uses a 9 lb steel flywheel. My guess that would the clutch/flywheel with both the least combined weight and the lowest moment of inertia (which is really the item be discussed) other than a Tilton carbon setup which costs more than 3x as much. It can only use an unsprung pressure plate making it less suitable for street use. They say it should be good for 500hp. The kit includes a hydraulic release bearing.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Not an S2k but I put an 8.8lb ACT chromoly FW in my old '98 Integra, and DD'd and autocrossed with it for 10 years. Never felt too light even on the street and was one of my favorite mods. Revved freely and made shifting easier and more fun.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Spec just finished making a 7.25" clutch setup for me with a single plate using their release bearing setup to ensure no issues or spacers needed.

Was under $1300 for the clutch/flywheel/bearing with spare plates, bearing, discs.

Total weight as assembled with fasteners 12.8lbs.

It is aluminum flywheel so I can change friction surfaces.

They said a 5.5 is possible in this setup. I also think they can save a little more if we mill the periphery.

If you need more more info let me know

Old 02-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ajohnson
Spec just finished making a 7.25" clutch setup for me with a single plate using their release bearing setup to ensure no issues or spacers needed.

Was under $1300 for the clutch/flywheel/bearing with spare plates, bearing, discs.

Total weight as assembled with fasteners 12.8lbs.

It is aluminum flywheel so I can change friction surfaces.

They said a 5.5 is possible in this setup. I also think they can save a little more if we mill the periphery.

If you need more more info let me know

They show a milled flywheel, but it is unclear if it is available for Honda. Do they have a 5.5" clutch? The milled flywheel would probably only be a little lighter, but it would have an affect on the moment of inertia, because it is at the largest radius.

Plus, you have the hydraulic release bearing. IMHO, this is the correct setup for a track car. Do you also drive it on the street?
Old 02-09-2017, 05:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

After some more discussion total save for going to a 5,5" setup was not much because even with 320torques you need a twin disc setup. I also opted for the aluminum because it is lighter than the steel one for their application because the milling is not significant enough to save weight. Spec was great about this and helped me get the best setup I could come up with. Also after living for 10 years with my 5.5" setup on a steel flywheel for my spitfire I wanted to go the aluminum setup. After a couple years and a few resurfaces on an $800 flywheel it makes the $95 replaceable disc seem good.

No the car car is not street driven. It my e-prod scca car. A little evolution going on over the winter with some flares and maxing out rim size and swapping to the 2.2

Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
anyone who upgrades their PP should disable their clutch lockout switch
Can this be done through flash-pro on an '06+?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo8765
Can this be done through flash-pro on an '06+?
No, you'll have to physically remove the delay valve in the slave cylinder. Pretty easy job and there are multiple DIY's on here to help.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SportInjected
No, you'll have to physically remove the delay valve in the slave cylinder. Pretty easy job and there are multiple DIY's on here to help.
lol 2 100% different things. Hes saying the lock out for the starter. its a switch on the actual clutch pedal.

Quick Reply: At the track with a super light flywheel