S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tracking Stock Car - Need Oil Cooler?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ddess
since the majority of us still do DE you rarely can go the full 20min without a cool down lap due to traffic.

I just did the same AIM oil pressure and temp mod to the Solo DL. I'll report back my oil temps while on track for a SC car. Chuckwalla in 2 weeks!
have you went already ?
Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ddess
i run the T6 and have been for awhile.

Oil temp data data on a SC car from chuckwalla yesterday. After 6 hard laps oil temps stabilized right at 235. No oil cooler just a dual pass radiator. Can't see a need for a cooler. Also I have oil analysis from the T6 on summer months and 4 track days. Viscosity was never under min value and Blackstone has said multiple times I could extend intervals. But with the price of T6 I don't mind the oil change after 4 days.

he did reply lol
Old 02-24-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
he did reply lol
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Donut
This, if youre not wanting to run an oil cooler, then monitor the temps. Just be willing to make a cool down lap if temps reach 280+

I'm not Tut, I'm not willing to run 300F and use golden state oil from the local gas station.
How many motors have you blown in your limited time on track? I have never blown a motor. #jussayin
Old 03-24-2017, 04:38 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Since you're in Houston, you should come out to TWS with PDS (Performance Driving School). Great group, and the run group sizes are smaller, so you get tons of nice, clear track with good level of instruction.

I took my bone stock AP1 out there this past weekend and it did fine. I was running it harder than anybody would in the lower run groups (more on throttle, braking deeper etc.). I do want to get a Modifry ECT-2 to actually have an idea of what my water temp is like, and I'll probably get a higher capacity radiator. I figure being able to keep the water temps down will do a lot to keep the oil temps in check vs. the wimpy stock radiator.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Well let me tell you what does kill an S2000 motor. Running out of oil. When you introduce multiple fittings and multiple lines into the oiling system you are multiplying the risk of an oil leak and a catastrophic motor failure. Adding that cheap oil cooler might mean peace of mind to some, but it is added complexity that is otherwise unnecessary to me. I have seen plenty of oil cooler leaks on multiple cars.

I agree completely.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great information in this thread, so thank you to all who provided input.

For those who have upgraded NA power and don't think an oil cooler is needed (based on what I've read in this thread), does an upgraded radiator (KOYO, Mishimoto, Mr. Sideways, etc) with the OEM water-to-oil cooler have an impact on lowering the oil temperature, compared to the OEM radiator? If so, is it significant?

As I've been progressively getting faster on track (note for direct impact to motor... bolt-ons + tune = 225 whp), I've become more concerned about cooling.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran without a cooler for 6k track miles without an issue. I put on after that but not sure its really needed to be honest.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff
Great information in this thread, so thank you to all who provided input.

For those who have upgraded NA power and don't think an oil cooler is needed (based on what I've read in this thread), does an upgraded radiator (KOYO, Mishimoto, Mr. Sideways, etc) with the OEM water-to-oil cooler have an impact on lowering the oil temperature, compared to the OEM radiator? If so, is it significant?

As I've been progressively getting faster on track (note for direct impact to motor... bolt-ons + tune = 225 whp), I've become more concerned about cooling.

Thank you in advance.
Who / where are you tracking Andre?

Come play with NASA NE!!

There's a lot to be said for "keeping it simple". Use your cool down lap, run your heater when you pit .... remove your A/C condenser.....

Last edited by freq; 07-10-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Well let me tell you what does kill an S2000 motor. Running out of oil. When you introduce multiple fittings and multiple lines into the oiling system you are multiplying the risk of an oil leak and a catastrophic motor failure. Adding that cheap oil cooler might mean peace of mind to some, but it is added complexity that is otherwise unnecessary to me. I have seen plenty of oil cooler leaks on multiple cars.
I've been told that Speedi-Dry stuff and the labor used to spread it gets expensive.....

Quick Reply: Tracking Stock Car - Need Oil Cooler?