S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Understeer can it be caused by bad torsen diff?

Old 01-29-2017, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Understeer can it be caused by bad torsen diff?

have a lot of understeer in my car, it picks up a push on entry, sometimes you can get on the gas and bring the rear round and sometimes it just pushes realy bad when you get on the gas
I changed a few things on the setup I'm wondering if its possible the diff is bad and staying locked up or something?
Its a stock torsen diff, I'm realy eliminate that as a possible cause/issue
Old 01-29-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

OEM car? Or diddled suspension, wheels, and tires?

-- Chuck
Old 01-29-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Change the diff oil.
Ideally into something like 75W-110 or 75W-140, or, maybe even better, a single grade SAE 110 or 140 for a pure track car.

The thing is that the final drive gears chew up the diff oil and it will change the lock of the Torsen over time (even with the thicker oil)
There is a lot of sliding between the teeth of the high offset hypoid gears in the S2k diff.
The Torsen can live with that but the thinner oil WILL change the lock action.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:25 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Change the diff oil.
Ideally into something like 75W-110 or 75W-140, or, maybe even better, a single grade SAE 110 or 140 for a pure track car.

The thing is that the final drive gears chew up the diff oil and it will change the lock of the Torsen over time (even with the thicker oil)
There is a lot of sliding between the teeth of the high offset hypoid gears in the S2k diff.
The Torsen can live with that but the thinner oil WILL change the lock action.

Thanks I'll try to put one of those in, I don't remember when I last changed it or what it is it could be 2 year old redline MTL or mobil1 gear oil in there
Old 01-29-2017, 01:53 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What else did you change in your setup? This sounds more like alignment or something, to me.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bdo
What else did you change in your setup? This sounds more like alignment or something, to me.
Or something broke. Does it do the same left and right. Drove an RSX a year or so back that would turn left but not right and found one of the struts blown.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:15 PM

Its realy both left and right but more noticeable at roebling on the right handers, it happens at medium and high speed but its also a bit pushy at auto-x speeds.

I guess it started with the Poly compliance bushings and the kognition wing (from apr cheapy wing)
I drilled the wing mounts so I can get a negative AOA on the wing
I tried to go down on the front bar and up on the rear bar so I went back to oem 03 bars (from 01 front 04 rear)
I went down 50lbs on front spring to 600/600 also adjusted shocks to lowest setting where I used to run front 1/2 turn higher than rear also tried to run less tire pressure up front which (seems to help for auto-x)

I changed the rear subframe with one with welded adjuster tabs and also checked all adjusters where good.

This last track day I put a few more turns on the front shocks and cut the bumpstops to check it wasn't riding around on the stops.

I think my tires are pretty shot to at this point but I wanted to try to eliminate everything I can for next time.
I can't believe it is the wing since other people run that wing with more AOA and to drove it feels like something mechanical/binding.

I am wondering if the swaybar(s) with oem endlinks have a lot of preload and are binding was going to try adjustable endlinks and have it re corner balanced.

the alignment I always run is about:
-2.5 camber front (max)
5 caster
0 toe or a touch of toe-out front

-3 camber rear (maxish)
rear toe-in 0.10-20degree total

Last edited by dan_uk; 01-30-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_uk
Thanks I'll try to put one of those in, I don't remember when I last changed it or what it is it could be 2 year old redline MTL or mobil1 gear oil in there
Redline MTL in the diff? That would be really terrible, change it as soon as possible.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Rear diff mounts ok?

I had a lurch to the left when I would come off throttle. I found my passenger side rear diff mount was toast yet it didn't show any visibility signs. However when I tried to loosten the center nut the mount just twisted with little to no resistance.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_uk
Its realy both left and right but more noticeable at roebling on the right handers, it happens at medium and high speed but its also a bit pushy at auto-x speeds.

I guess it started with the Poly compliance bushings and the kognition wing (from apr cheapy wing)
I drilled the wing mounts so I can get a negative AOA on the wing
I tried to go down on the front bar and up on the rear bar so I went back to oem 03 bars (from 01 front 04 rear)
I went down 50lbs on front spring to 600/600 also adjusted shocks to lowest setting where I used to run front 1/2 turn higher than rear also tried to run less tire pressure up front which (seems to help for auto-x)

I changed the rear subframe with one with welded adjuster tabs and also checked all adjusters where good.

This last track day I put a few more turns on the front shocks and cut the bumpstops to check it wasn't riding around on the stops.

I think my tires are pretty shot to at this point but I wanted to try to eliminate everything I can for next time.
I can't believe it is the wing since other people run that wing with more AOA and to drove it feels like something mechanical/binding.

I am wondering if the swaybar(s) with oem endlinks have a lot of preload and are binding was going to try adjustable endlinks and have it re corner balanced.

the alignment I always run is about:
-2.5 camber front (max)
5 caster
0 toe or a touch of toe-out front

-3 camber rear (maxish)
rear toe-in 0.10-20degree total

Kognition wing is A LOT of wing for NA if you are NA. Also if you dont have big front areo. I hated that wing when I had it
5" splitter minimum with that wing lol. But if you dont think its the wing....maybe your tires are shot like you said. Dess has a good point too

Quick Reply: Understeer can it be caused by bad torsen diff?