S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

What G-Loc Brake Pad Is right for you?

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Bump!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:38 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Just wanted to add to this thread, I ordered G-Loc brake pads from Devin at TogueFactory, and he made sure they arrived in time for my 2-day track weekend with NASA Texas.

A quick review of the brakes, they were amazing. I got the R12/R10 pads, and they were a night and day difference from the StopTech Street Performance pads I had ran before (which obviously were designed for a completely different set of circumstances versus the G-Loc pads). The initial bite, modulation, and clamping power of the G-Loc pads were much better than I even expected, I managed to run my personal best, in large part due to the confidence inspiring and consistent nature of the pads. Granted I am a newbie to the track (this was my 8th event in the last year) so your mileage and brake needs will likely vary from mine. Even on the street on the drive to and from the track, the pads were occasionally audible, but nowhere near annoying. Overall very satisfied with my purchase, as well as with TogueFactory. If you have been on the fence about these, don't hesitate!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Just wanted to add to this thread, I ordered G-Loc brake pads from Devin at TogueFactory, and he made sure they arrived in time for my 2-day track weekend with NASA Texas.

A quick review of the brakes, they were amazing. I got the R12/R10 pads, and they were a night and day difference from the StopTech Street Performance pads I had ran before (which obviously were designed for a completely different set of circumstances versus the G-Loc pads). The initial bite, modulation, and clamping power of the G-Loc pads were much better than I even expected, I managed to run my personal best, in large part due to the confidence inspiring and consistent nature of the pads. Granted I am a newbie to the track (this was my 8th event in the last year) so your mileage and brake needs will likely vary from mine. Even on the street on the drive to and from the track, the pads were occasionally audible, but nowhere near annoying. Overall very satisfied with my purchase, as well as with TogueFactory. If you have been on the fence about these, don't hesitate!
How far did you drive on the street on them and how were they cold? My tracks are around 3 hours away and was wondering if they were going to be something I change in the paddocks or I could do them in my garage the night before.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:46 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Afterfire
How far did you drive on the street on them and how were they cold? My tracks are around 3 hours away and was wondering if they were going to be something I change in the paddocks or I could do them in my garage the night before.
I drove it about 20 miles the day I installed them (some light squeaking when coming to a stop at lights) they are "grabbier" than street oriented pads but had plenty of stopping power even in the cold. I then drove them to the track and back for both days (60 total street miles) as well as 80 "track" miles. The pads still performed well on the drive home after the last day, I would not hesitate to run them on the street, as long as you don't mind the occasional squeak and dust.
The following users liked this post:
Afterfire (03-13-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 AM
Former Sponsor

I have a new set of R16s coming my way for my car.
The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (03-17-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just out of curiosity do they have any performance graphs?

It's pretty hard to select a brake pad without some kind of performance data to reference.

Hawk:

Porterfield:
Old 03-23-2017, 07:31 AM
Former Sponsor

G-Loc does not have any of the fancy graphs, maybe ill make one for them but here are operating temps.

G-Loc™ GS-1™
The G-Loc™ GS-1™ is our high performance street compound. GS-1™ produces very little dust and very little noise, while maintaining excellent initial bite and torque for street use. GS-1 has been unmatched in the industry for disc/rotor friendliness as well as its longevity. This compound's excellent performance on the street provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. G-Loc™ GS-1™ operating range starts at ambient up to 800°F (426°C). GS-1™ is suitable for ALL street cars, tow vehicle, fleet vehicle, and armored vehicles. G-Loc™ GS-1™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

G-Loc™ R6™
The R6™ has been specifically engineered for Autocross applications. An ultra high cold torque compound delivering consistent performance from dead cold (0°F) up to 1000°F + (0°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. The R6™ compound is widely used for street use as well, but this compound will more than likely make noise on the street. G-Loc™ doesn't recommend street driving on with R6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. R6™ is NOT recommended for road racing (closed circuit) use in most applications.

G-Loc™ R8™
A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). G-Loc™ R8™ is the first of our extensive lineup of racing compounds. Good initial bite along with excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. G-Loc™ does NOT recommended R8™ for daily use on the street due to elevated levels of dust and noise. G-Loc™ R8™ is a popular compound for open wheel type of race cars. R8™ is also used on most Formula SAE team cars, along with shifter karts, dirt bikes, ATV's, and even Mountain bikes.

G-Loc™ R10™
The R10™ has a much strong initial bite and higher coefficient of friction than R8™. R10™ still maintains our smooth release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have been engineered into all previous G-Loc™ compounds. The R10™ compound disc/rotor friendliness will lead the industry. R10™ broad temperature range and fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (186°F /85°C - 801°C). G-Loc™ does NOT recommended R10™ for daily use on the street due to elevated levels of dust and noise.

G-Loc™ R12™
Raising the bar even higher is the R12™ compound with an excellent initial bite, high and consistent torque, and outstanding fade resistance over and above The R12™ continues our excellent release and modulation that has been engineered into all previous G-Loc™ compounds. the R10™. R12™ has a temperature range of 200°F to 1860°F (93°C to 1015°C). The R12™ is slightly more disc/rotor aggressive than R10™ but more disc/rotor friendly compared to our competition. G-Loc™ does NOT recommended R12™ for daily use on the street due to elevated levels of dust and noise.

G-Loc™ R14™
The R14™ compound was engineered for endurance racing with lighter weight, lower horsepower cars in mind. R14™ has solid initial bite, a little less modulation than the R10™ or R12™. R14™ has great fade resistance with a temperature range of 210°F to 1400°F (98°C to 760°C). R14™ is as rotor friendly as our R12™ compound. G-Loc™ does NOT recommended R14™ for daily use on the street due to elevated levels of dust and noise.

G-Loc™ R16™
R16™ is an extremely aggressive initial bite, linear torque curve and excellent fade resistance compound from our lineup of R-Series™ compounds. The R16™ is a natural progression of the highly successful R-Series™ line of compounds from G-Loc™. R16™ has a temperature range of 255°F to 2000°F (123°C to 1093°C). G-Loc™ R16™ maintains our philosophy of modulation and release that has been the foundation of all other G-Loc™ R-Series™ compounds. G-Loc™ does NOT recommended R16™ for daily use on the street due to elevated levels of dust and noise and the amount of heat needed to work properly.

G-Loc™ R18™
R18™ is the pinnacle compound of the R-Series™ compounds engineered by G-Loc™. R18™ is based on the same successful principals and fundamentals that exist in all other G-Loc™ R-Series™ formulations. R18™ has more initial bite, overall bite, and even more controllable torque. The R18™ offers the absolute most linear torque curve we have ever created. The thermal characteristics and coefficient of friction are of the highest offered by anyone in the braking industry. This revolutionary compound will lead the way in all major forms of racing (professionally and grassroots). R18™ has a temperature range of 610°F to 2100°F+ (321°C to 1149°C+). G-Loc™ does NOT recommended R16™ for daily use on the street due to elevated levels of dust and noise and the amount of heat needed to work properly.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd love to try a set of G-Locs that compare to the HT-10 or DTC-60's i've been running. Maybe i don't want to drop a bunch on new pads as I have couple sets of hawks left, but G-Loc just announced a decent contingency program for SCCA Majors. I'm interested to here a little bit more about them and get some pricing and what would be the best comparison for a non street driven car. E-Prod rules have us using stock calipers and rotors (although rotors are free, they must be solid, no slots or cross drills) which rules out pretty much all the g-loc rotors.

let me know what's out there and cost, i'd be willing to put them to use in the Majors...first one is May 6/7 at Blackhawk Farms.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ajohnson
I'd love to try a set of G-Locs that compare to the HT-10 or DTC-60's i've been running. Maybe i don't want to drop a bunch on new pads as I have couple sets of hawks left, but G-Loc just announced a decent contingency program for SCCA Majors. I'm interested to here a little bit more about them and get some pricing and what would be the best comparison for a non street driven car. E-Prod rules have us using stock calipers and rotors (although rotors are free, they must be solid, no slots or cross drills) which rules out pretty much all the g-loc rotors.

let me know what's out there and cost, i'd be willing to put them to use in the Majors...first one is May 6/7 at Blackhawk Farms.
I just replied to your PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Quick Reply: What G-Loc Brake Pad Is right for you?