S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Where to race your S2K

Old 04-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've sent in my comment to the fasttrack request.

In the s2k its simple. Just require the stock ecu and reclassify the car at ~245-250 hp.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that would be a good proposal, write a letter to that effect too. It brings the S2K weight into the world of reality, instead of several hundred pounds of ballast.

The committee generally doesn't like per-car rules, so I don't know if it would get passed, but it's certainly an interesting approach.

Another issue, of course, with stock ECUs, is that lots of members feel that's not policeable. Showroom Stock has this problem now. Hence the proposal to open the rule up dramatically.

Anyway, send in the proposal, it could launch an interesting conversation on our next conference call.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshS,Apr 30 2007, 03:52 PM
Another issue, of course, with stock ECUs, is that lots of members feel that's not policeable.
Why not?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Because there's nothing to measure. You can measure a camshaft, but you can't measure an ECU. Yes, you could open up the box and compare it to a known-stock ECU, but where does a tech inspector at a regional race get one, and how is he sure of what it is? And even so, he might not be comfortable with looking at the inside of an ECU as he is the inside of, say, an oil pump.

I'm not saying I agree, I'm just saying that a huge portion of the membership feels that a stock ECU rule is not policeable, and therefore, not a good rule to have.

And Ry, the car wouldn't be classed at 240hp. You are still allowed the same engine mods as everyone else -- up to .040 overbore with appropriate pistons, balance/blueprint, 1" port matching, 0.5 increase in compression ratio, open exhaust, etc. The only horsepower we'd be removing here would be the gains from a replacement ECU/software. (EDIT: After writing this, I noticed that you edited your post to say 245-250 instead of 240).
Old 04-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator

actually its very police able, as our ecu's aren't flashable/editable. There are like 3 honda programmable ecu's floating around but they're identifiable too because they have a different chip in them (so I'm told)

So the truth is a bunch of assumptions were made about the s2k about people who didn't know much about the car.

I realize this won't change this year, but it stuff at some point the "board" needs to come to grips with.

-Ry
Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JoshS,Apr 30 2007, 04:01 PM] Because there's nothing to measure.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

And I've written emails. I hear nothing back. To quote steven colbert it's like trying to box a glacier.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 PM

What kind of tester is going to tell you what's in the ECU box? Where does each club get one? Will it work for every car in IT? Couldn't a custom system inside the box spit out stuff that makes it look stock to the tester?

You have to understand that this is not the Honda Club of America, that tech people are volunteers, and regions don't have a lot of money for specialized equipment (and its maintenance and training.)

As for e-mail feedback, you should be getting a response from the club tech people within a couple of days. They have to go through each letter, and make it available to the appropriate people. At that time it is assigned a number, and you should be getting that back by e-mail. If you don't hear from them, if it's an IT-related letter, check with me (by e-mail, please) after a couple of days and I'll let you know that we got it. Depending on the letter volume, it can take a few days to make it to our committee.

If we have something that you didn't hear back about, I'll make sure that the powers that be find out that something is breaking down upstream.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

the tester is called a 8.5"x11" piece of paper and a torx(iirc) bit.

explain to me how the tech steward is going to get a set of cams or an oil pump to compare against? The club buys them?

the tech steward would just need to know which chips should be in there. Nothing is in sockets in our ecu.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This debate isn't unique to club racing -- it comes up every year or two in solo as well.

[QUOTE=krazik,Apr 30 2007, 04:28 PM]explain to me how the tech steward is going to get a set of cams or an oil pump to compare against?

Quick Reply: Where to race your S2K