S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Close calls with the boys in blue.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ricosuave,Apr 9 2007, 07:15 AM
which brings me to another question. if two or three vechicles are speeding at the same rate, which one is the cop more likely to pull over?
The first if it's a radar trap and the last if he's clocking the group from behind. Generally the first car he can check the speed on. Usually if you're keeping up with traffic, your safe. If you're in sparse traffic, look for brake lights ahead. Everyone brakes for cops. It's better than a radar detector for some situation.

And CG, that's nuts.

My experince:
I was tailgating a Lexus SUV in the left lane doing about 60ish in a 55. Won't let me by. So he finally gets annoyed and floors it. We get up to about 85ish and roll right into a speed trap. He gets the ticket. I don't. I felt both satisfied and guilty.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Quivers,Apr 8 2007, 10:53 PM
I got pulled over for 145 in a 55, he didn't get the clock and let me off with a lecture.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by iamhomin,Apr 9 2007, 08:06 AM
I thought the same thing. If he really got caught doing 145 and was let go he must have skipped the part where he performed a "special favor" for the cop.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:27 AM

I recently got an 88 in a 45 $500 fine and the day in jail.

When I had my evo I was just turning onto one of the main streets in Richmond and I got on it a little bit. A cop passed me the other direction and I looked back. Sure enough he was pulling a u turn. I nailed the throttle and bolted down a side street. Ran like 4 stop signs and then turned onto another road. I never saw the cop again. Yes, it was stupid to run the stop signs, but it was late at night and I really didn't want a ticket.

Since I have owned the S I have felt that I drive more responsible. I have denied several invites to race and have only broken the speed limit a few times just to see what the S could do on a straight away.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:31 AM

If were going to call BS here, CG's canyon carving with CHiPs sounded a little out there, especially going over 40 miles at 80+ with a cop behind you?!?!?

Edit: And now that I think about it, drifting a front wheel drive car? Also if a cop is following you at 80, he's just waiting for you to break 100 so that he can really make his quota.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 AM

ticketed for going 101 in a 70;
this requires a mandatory court appearance; 2 points, no school,
with a max fine of 1250.00 and one month license suspension...

this court is like 2hrs from me and i went on a day they were closed!!
when i went the next day i lucked out w/ a 300 dollar fine and only 1 point
for being the slowest of everyone there...

all the 110+ speeders got fines from $600-max penalties depending on speed;
the top speeder of the day was 120 mph
Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 AM
bcs

Me and a group of friends were headed over to a car show. We were driving from Seattle, WA to Coeur d'Alene, ID and we had left later in the evening so that we didn't have to deal with traffic. Being mid August, it was hot out and clear. We had a large group of cars...from Subarus, an s2k, some Nissans, etc. Around 11:30 we are out in the middle of nowhere and we are the only ones on the road. So some of the guys in front of us are off racing each other down the freeway. (If there were other cars on the road, no one would be racing...we were trying to be safe for other people).

We get down this long stretch of freeway and the moon comes out past a mountain. It's actually bright enough to be driving without the lights on. So a few people do this, and we drive about maybe a 1/2 mile or so without head lights on. (I must say...it's a very eerie feeling to do this). Then, at the same time, everyone decides to turn on their lights and just cruise for a while. The straightaway ends almost immediately and as we come around the corner, we see two state patrols sitting there. Having my V1, nothing went off until we just went around the corner and they shot us with the laser.

I'm not kidding...it was maybe 50 ft from where we decided to turn on our lights and cruise at the speed limit to where the state troopers were sitting. And luckily, everyone had done so at the same time.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by __redruM,Apr 9 2007, 10:31 AM
If were going to call BS here, CG's canyon carving with CHiPs sounded a little out there, especially going over 40 miles at 80+ with a cop behind you?!?!?

Edit: And now that I think about it, drifting a front wheel drive car? Also if a cop is following you at 80, he's just waiting for you to break 100 so that he can really make his quota.
I've got to agree that it does sound like BS and if I hadn't been there I'm not sure I'd believe it. I sure can't fault you for calling BS.

As far as the four wheel drift, not like modern day drifting, maybe I should have said a four wheel slide. When I stopped for gas I was shocked at how far the tires had rolled over on the sides. They really didn't have enough air in them for the way I was driving. It was very stupid on my part to drive the car the way I was.

He may have been waiting for me to break 100, or maybe he was going off duty, or maybe he had a hot babe waiting for him at the bottom of thye hill...
Old 04-09-2007, 11:47 AM

I haven't had the greatest luck with speeding tickets. Typically I get pulled over (yes I'm on speeding ticket #4) and my speed is just a touch over criminal (like less than 5 mph) and the cops mark it down to civil, but still cite me.

A few weeks back on my way back from California to Arizona I got pulled over with another car just a few miles from Yuma. I had my cruise set at 94 (in a 70 those cali. bastards with their lower speed limits), and the CHP radared the car directly behind me, which was doing 95. I didn't even see him until he was behind us, lights flashing. I pointed out to the officer that I was doing 94, and he tried to argue that I must have been doing more than 95 if the car behind me was at 95. Of course, he decided to play ignorant to the fact that radar guns can be off by 3 mph quite often. Nevertheless, he marked it down to 85 in a 70. I was hoping that Cali. wouldn't report it to Arizona, but I was wrong and I got the rest of the payment paperwork in the mail two weeks later (and proceeded to get another civil ticket on the same day.... $*#$@&!).

One night my friend and I were just driving around in his car, and since he was eating I was at the wheel. It was pretty late and I was on a road that at late hours is completely dead. We went through a construction zone, which was devoid of any signs about the speed limit. Nevertheless, some headlights turn on and start to follow me, and then the lights go on. The regular speed is a 45, and when the cop asked me if I knew why he pulled me over, I just said "for doing 46 in a 45...?". Wrong- it was a 25 apparently. He just wrote me a warning and let us go. It was the first time that that car (a 97 champagne accord) had ever been pulled over, according to my friend. Maybe it's thanks to the "Jesus is the reason for the season" bumper sticker that's plastered to the back bumper...

I hate speeding tickets... I speed so rarely but when I do there's always a cop to see me...
Old 04-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by wills2k106,Apr 9 2007, 10:07 AM
Let me preface, I live in the wonderful state of New Jersey. Where cops will write there own mothers tickets. I was on my way back from a race and I knew it was supposed to rain but kept the top down anyway. When I got off the Turnpike I could see a couple really dark clouds off in the distance with lightning. Rather than stop and put the top up, which would have been the smart thing, I decided to drive faster instead. I was doing 95 maybe 100 on Rte. 55, a two lane divided highway with a 65 mph speed limit. There was no one else on my side of the road, so I was only a danger to myself. Out of the corner of my eye I see a State Trooper pull out of his hiding spot, foot to the floor lights flashing. I immediately slow down knowing it is too late. He pulls up alongside turns his lights off and gives me a thumbs up, then speeds off. I make it back to my garage two minutes before it starts pouring, thanks Officer.
Ahh yes, beautiful NJ.

About 3 years ago I was speeding 12mph over, tinted windows, no license plate, and talking on the cell phone ($300+ fine). I was going up a hill and the cop was coming down the hill, our eyes met at the peak (two lane road). I looked in the rear view mirror and noticed he had turned around. I quickly accelerated and turned into a street ( Luckily there was a huge building and was sorta angled towards the main street). I waited for a few seconds and saw the cop flying down the road, "trying" to catch me. Nonetheless, I learned my lesson. Got a radar detector, medical exemption for the tint, license plate on, and installed bluetooth

Quick Reply: Close calls with the boys in blue.