S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Leave me alone fart tip CRX's!!!

Old 05-15-2001, 11:09 AM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silver
[B]UL-
Old 05-15-2001, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay Li
[B]Silver, I don't know where you got the idea that the 360 Modena can't beat the S2K in the slalom.
Old 05-15-2001, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver,

I don't know what my slalom speeds or skidpad are, but my CRX accelerates in a near dead heat with my S2K (except right off the line and above 100 mph). Given the similar acceleration profiles and very equal lap times, they have to be close in handling measurements. In fact, I'll bet my CRX pulls more lateral G than my S2K does, since my mid corner speeds are higher in the CRX. And that's on 185/60/14 Yoko AVSi street tires. With something as sticky as the S-02 (or god forbid race tires), I bet I'd be over 1.0 g.

Sev is right, with a _stock_ car, you just can't match race prepped handling. With good tires and suspension setups like mine, CRXs routinely exceed 1.1g. Furthermore, skidpad and slalom don't tell you which car handles better around the racetrack. Having driven both my stock S2K and my CRX back to back on the same track, I can tell you that the CRX understeers more (but not much), but hangs on better. Lap times were a wash. As it stands, I would put my CRX up against a _stock_ S2K on any racetrack (having already done that myself) and expect to match or exceed it (provided we're running the same tire type - race to race, street to street). With another $2k as Sev mentioned, well, lets just say that would get me 20% more hp and some serious downforce modifications with money to spare. My suspension setup is already about as good as I will get it.

Again, the S2K is a kick ass car (that's why I bought one), but the CRXs of the world have 10+ years of race winning development (they are still the car to beat in their class). Against a prepped CRX, the stock S2K is really out of its league. Prep the S2K and its a different story, but I've got some warranty left before I do that. And in terms of the average mods, lets just say that there are probably more 13-second CRXs and Civics in the USA than there are 13-second S2Ks (or S2Ks in general). Any mildly modified hybrid Civic/CRX will run 13's and those with FI or built motors often run in the 12's - without handling compromises. And from what I've seen, the number of S2K drivers that have gone 13's can be counted on one hand, thus I'm not too concerned about losing to one on the street. The 8 and 9 second Hondas are indeed exercises in spending large sums to make a pig fly, but going 13's is formulaic and relatively cheap these days.

UL
Old 05-15-2001, 05:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silver
[B]Squeezer-
Old 05-15-2001, 08:06 PM

UL- Fair enough...you've made some valuable points and obviously your CRX has some merits of worthy mention. I suppose if you do the right mods to any car it's worthy of some quick times on a drag strip and possibly even a course. I'll have to agree with Shingles though, that these types of honda's are rare. I'm sure there is a fair share of them but I see Civics and Accords with the crazy spoilers, lowered, huge wheels....I've even seen a Front wheel drive Del Sol with bigger wheels on the rear than the front (I laughed my ass off) Well, point is I tend to think that there is probably 1 in 100 of these cars that pull these kinds of times on the road compared to the posers. However, I'll never know because I wouldn't waste my gas to find out and secondly I save my racing for the track. UL, you have shed some light on the issue and as much as I love my car and know how fast it is as you pointed out with the right mods there are others (even econo cars) that can keep up or pass. Happy Driving and keep us posted on your new mods for the S2K. If you got your CRX to pull those numbers you should be hitting the 9's and 10's in no time in the Stook
Old 05-15-2001, 09:23 PM

wow

I just registered today and am welcome by this here topic, hits pretty close to home.

Anyways, I'll hold back on the comments until I hang out here a bit more. Don't want to step on any toes. Meanwhile, I'll take this chance to briefly introduce myself.

I'm a poor college student thanks to my money pit, I mean CRX. Been a Honda guy for awhile, and I'm glad Honda finally decided to make a RWD (Right Wheel Drive opposed to Wrong Wheel Drive)sports car. I love S2K's and they are definately on my short and special list of cars that I plan on acquiring in hopefully a few short years. If you can't tell by my choice of the CRX, I'm a handling guy. As much as I enjoy being pressed back into the seat thanks to 400 wheel HP, for me, there's nothing like excecuting the perfect heel toe downshift into your favorite backroad chicane (which happens to be about a minute from my house ), coaxing the rear end out into a controlled slide, then powering out as your tires scream in delight.

I also love just about any car that is cool. I give respect where respect is due. Everything from grass roots autoXing CRX's, to 9 second streetable mustangs and everything inbetween; domestic and foreign. Not a big fan of SUV's though. :-

Welp, I hope I'm welcome here, eager to learn about this wonderful convertible, and hope I make some friends. I know I'll end up getting in some fun debates and arguments also, but hey, all in fun.

thanks
Old 05-16-2001, 08:34 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jesse, welcome to the board!

I recently had a chance to drive a stock 1990 or 91 CRX si at a autoX school where I was an instructor. The owner paid $100 for the car and it was as much fun to drive as any car there. ( Except for my S2K) While it was much slower in a straight line than the Vettes/944T's/ and others that I drove it was much easier to drive fast in the turns. I want one!
Old 05-16-2001, 08:50 AM

My friend has a CRX with Apex coil-overs and race tires. He beat me by at least 1.5 secs the last time we went karting at speedring(30sec track.) But at the autocross last saturday, I beat him by almost 4 secs on a 60sec course. My car is stock, his is far from that. We are going to laguna seca is a couple weeks, but I doubt he'll even come close to my times. I don't know what he'd do if he drove my car, but I have a feeling we have pretty equal driver skill. I've also ditched him very handily on our local backroad.

Not trying to throw fuel on the fire because I actually like his car and he bought it for $1500 (his coilovers cost that much) but I don't think the CRX is in the same league as far as handling is concerned.

*on edit* I've been autocrossing for only 2 months and he's been doing it for about 5, so he has twice as many events as me.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:58 AM

Nice price. $1500
Old 05-16-2001, 09:00 AM

Jesse-

Welcome to the Board! This is an excellent community and everyone here is very friendly and knowledgable. I've learned everything about my S2000 from this board! Everyone might not agree on everything here but it's all in good spirit and I personally don't take anything to heart in terms of disagreements. The CRX is definitely a great car and when it was first introduced I really wanted one. Honda's are great cars no matter what model and that is why my family has only owned Honda's since the 1970's. I really hope that you are able to enjoy the S2000 one day. This is hands down the most fun car I have ever driven in every sense of the word. I have driven a lot of cars and in my opinion you will not find a more exciting car to drive for under $100,000. Glad that you introduced yourself. Walk around a bit and check out the other Topics as I said before people here are super friendly and very informative.

Silver

Quick Reply: Leave me alone fart tip CRX's!!!