S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

modded wrx

Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modded wrx

just thought id mention some blue wrx wouldnt leave me alone earlier today on my way to class. It was obviously modded, but i wouldn't say heavily as he hadn't yet done the front mount conversion, but anyway, i even rolled my window down to tell him my car was slow. I've only had the S about two months and my previous car i built an EK hatch k20a2 swapped with direct port lol so going from that to the S, ehh. Its not slow, and its alot faster where it counts, just not in a straight line. back to the story, i rolled up my window, kind of cut through some traffic as i was running a bit late and thought i had lost him..... then bam red light so i stop..... guess who rolls up next to me..... yep. anyway he looks at me and again i emphasize the car is slow and pretty much stock (intake, exhaust) and we leave the line kind of in time but not a launch, he lays into it a second or two later while still in first gear, and i can't resist anymore. lol 1st the the end of 4th was all i could manage before i had to turn off. by third, i had three cars on him. i was pretty surprised this thing isn't quite as slow as i thought it was. Pointless story i know, but figured it was kind of funny.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my buddy has an 06 with striaht 3 turbo back and some other bolts on and we run dead even..

nice kill!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Clem,Nov 30 2010, 08:30 PM
just thought id mention some blue wrx wouldnt leave me alone earlier today on my way to class. It was obviously modded, but i wouldn't say heavily as he hadn't yet done the front mount conversion, but anyway, i even rolled my window down to tell him my car was slow. I've only had the S about two months and my previous car i built an EK hatch k20a2 swapped with direct port lol so going from that to the S, ehh. Its not slow, and its alot faster where it counts, just not in a straight line. back to the story, i rolled up my window, kind of cut through some traffic as i was running a bit late and thought i had lost him..... then bam red light so i stop..... guess who rolls up next to me..... yep. anyway he looks at me and again i emphasize the car is slow and pretty much stock (intake, exhaust) and we leave the line kind of in time but not a launch, he lays into it a second or two later while still in first gear, and i can't resist anymore. lol 1st the the end of 4th was all i could manage before i had to turn off. by third, i had three cars on him. i was pretty surprised this thing isn't quite as slow as i thought it was. Pointless story i know, but figured it was kind of funny.
Dude the s is not that slow people break 13s in them stock... and a wrx runs what bone stock? mid 14s you should take them all day if you know how to launch.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by woodburn,Dec 1 2010, 01:57 AM
Dude the s is not that slow people break 13s in them stock... and a wrx runs what bone stock? mid 14s you should take them all day if you know how to launch.
Yep and considering the fact you went from a roll. That was in your favor! Good kill. Now get back to class
Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what wrx runs mid 14's stock?

When my buddy went to the track with turboback exhaust, tune, and downpipe, he ran 14.5 @ 99 w/ a 1.9 60 ft.

another chick there ran 14.3 @ 95 w/ a 1.87 60 ft.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Woot - a 14.5 @ 99 with a 1.9 60ft doesn't even come close to adding up.

I ran 14.2 @ 94 mph (1.9 60) in my bone stock 2002 WRX. First time at the track. With a free mod I did in the staging lanes I ran 13.7 @ 97 mph.

13.5 @ 99 mph with a turboback exhaust (downpipe, catback) and an uppipe.

13.2 @ 102mph with a tbe, tune, and uppipe.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timeslips don't lie. I ran a horrible pass, missed 3rd gear and spun bad off the line.

But that WRX in the other lane no lift shifted, launched off the rev limiter and had a canned tune and exhaust.

You're telling me you ran a faster pass with nothing done? BTW this is an 03 WRX

I'm sorry i won't believe you until you post timeslips of those passes.

BTW i looked up my buddies time, he actually only did a 2.15 60. So that one is out the window, i think he was too scared to launch hard. He still ran 14.5's @ 99 with a 2.15
Old 12-01-2010, 04:53 PM

I never said you lied, you didn't need to post her timeslip (I didn't even question that run). I knew something was off with a 1.9 short time on a 14.5 @ 99 mph run. Turns out I was right and his 60' was really bad.

This was 7 or 8 years ago, I don't have any time slips of my run. It was at Cecil County Dragway in Maryland during the fall, which is faster than most tracks. Plenty of guys ran low 14s in their stock WRXs, just takes a fearless driver and good conditions. Car and driver pulled a 14.1, I hope the source is good enough for you to believe me.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...reza_wrx_page_4

Just the test data:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_sit...a97e9d6f016.pdf
Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ a fearless driver with a broken WRX transmission.

from my knowledge you can run a WRX to do 13.8@under 100mph in a 1/4 but your transmission will blow out after a few good runs.

so either way a stock wrx will not trap over 100, and tuned, maybe; has a chance from a roll with a stock s2k.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by JHooby,Dec 1 2010, 08:08 PM
^ a fearless driver with a broken WRX transmission.

from my knowledge you can run a WRX to do 13.8@under 100mph in a 1/4 but your transmission will blow out after a few good runs.

so either way a stock wrx will not trap over 100, and tuned, maybe; has a chance from a roll with a stock s2k.
We're not talking about 06+ WRXs if you're speaking of trap speeds approaching 100mph. I also don't know of a 2.0L WRX that ran a 13.8 stock.

By saying "your transmission will blow out after a few runs" sounds like you're making an assumption based on comments you've heard and not actual experience with Subarus. Yes, you can shock the driveline and wreck the transmission since it's relatively weak. I used to slip my clutch from 5000 RPMs to take the shock off the driveline and onto the clutch (clutches are cheaper and my clutch lasted 50k miles when I sold the car with 300whp). You can still cut 1.8 - 1.9 60' times. No need to drop it at redline.

Also, easy on the semicolons.

Quick Reply: modded wrx