S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

MY06 vs EVO IX MR

Old 01-17-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartikus,Jan 17 2007, 05:47 PM
Mag times are typically slower than the best times. Evos have broken into the 12's trapping ~107mph bone stock in the hands of great drivers. S2000's get decently well into the 13's with great drivers.

I would say mag times are average at best.

Is that ever an understatement!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deanjones,Jan 17 2007, 05:16 PM
Umm... not necessarily... They're simply stats showing the speed of the vehicle. Do you have "rolling" times for each car? If so, post them... However, the "drag" numbers just don't add up at all. It does hold some value. I don't know if I'd say it doesn't hold ANY value. I think you're going overboard to try and bash someone that's pointing out that a car you drive will get beat by another car... I mean, tough shit... The S2000 gets beat by a ton of other cars as well as the Evo. Don't take such offense to it.

Nevertheless, it's obvious the Evo will win from both positions. I went up against 2 Evo's when I had my S2000 and got spanked both times. Both times were from a roll and I consider myself a reasonable driver...
I'm not taking offense to it (notice how I said a MR should beat a s2k). I am however saying that (even though they might be the only benchmarks out there), the drag numbers are completly useless from a roll.

Of course the drag numbers don't add up...if it was a drag situtation I would say the same thing, however, again its not; its a roll situtation.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 PM

uhhh drag strip numbers are useful on a roll. look @ trap speed =] thats a pretty damn good indication. out cars at stock best traps what.. 101? evo 9's at stock best traps... 106? 5mph different = how many cars?

are cars aren't that slow... but comparing it to a FI 4g63 engine that can get to 330awhp with about 700$.. we don't stand a chance. sure evo's might beat us in a roadcourse but then there's the people that say omg... drive s2k 10/10 and you'll beat a evo or we'll beat them in autox._. how many of you guys can drive 10/10? honestly, if i wanted flat out performance in every condition and needed a 4 door, i would of gotten an evo or sti. i wanted a high revving convertible that gets twitchy and im in it for the whole driving experience.

sorry to the op i got off track BUT... nice encounter=]=] my brother has an evo9 as well with 3 inch turboback, mbc, aem intake.. have yet to run him because i don't want to risk it. all in all, s2k looks better than evo. but they're faster for the money.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:23 PM

Trap speeds can be misleading as well. If you get a good start your going to get a higher trap speed....AWD is known for great starts.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jan 17 2007, 04:23 PM
Trap speeds can be misleading as well. If you get a good start your going to get a higher trap speed....AWD is known for great starts.
I thought it was if you get a bad start your trap is better?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deanjones,Jan 17 2007, 03:35 PM
They're not necessarily false... They're just the absolute best times they could get out of the car in the absolute best conditions. That's why I said "at the very best". However, I will say that they are near-impossible to reach times typically. A more realistic 0-60 for the Evo 9 is around 5 and a more realistic time for the S2000 is around 6 from the track numbers I have seen posted.

Ultimately, it comes down to the driver, but like I said, I'm a decent driver and I couldn't hang with an Evo 7 or 8 when I had my 2002 S2000...

I wish the video was a bit better... I mean, you can see it, but it doesn't look like you did much on that Evo even with your mods. But, I'll take your word for it.
I do agree with you that a lot of the outcomes will be based on the drivers abilities. I wish the video was beter also, but our camera car was an altima 3.5 lol. Basically we did a lot of 60 rolls. He would pull ahead a couple inches while in third but once I would get into my 4th gear I would jump ahead almost a full car. Into fifth I would gain about another half car then sixth would even us out again with me almost two cars ahead. Same putcome everytime we ran. Stock for stock would be nice to see. My car would pull stock S's pretty easy also so maybe the evo9 has the advantage over the S in stock form. However it's hard to believe one with 4 passengers murdering one if he was stock.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Trap speed would have to do with how you start from zero. For a race from a roll, you would need to figure out speed times such as: 40mph-100mph. In that sense, trapspeed is pretty useless because one car maybe faster than another car DURING 40-100 but slower from 0-40 and 100-1XX. Get my drift? Also, gearing is a big difference. The different gears (some stronger gears and some weaker) at different speeds can win a race from a roll.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not taking any sides. Nice run to the threadstarter.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ppark1229,Jan 17 2007, 08:44 PM
Trap speed would have to do with how you start from zero. For a race from a roll, you would need to figure out speed times such as: 40mph-100mph. In that sense, trapspeed is pretty useless because one car maybe faster than another car DURING 40-100 but slower from 0-40 and 100-1XX. Get my drift? Also, gearing is a big difference. The different gears (some stronger gears and some weaker) at different speeds can win a race from a roll.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not taking any sides. Nice run to the threadstarter.
Thats pretty much what I'm saying, trap speeds mean nothing as it only has to do with a dead stop. It doesn't throw into account powerbands, gearing, etc.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 PM

1/4 mile trap speeds is an indicator of how much power a car is putting out effectively to the ground, therefore a car that traps "higher" will be the faster car on a highway roll-on race.....

If anyone is in doubt go race a car that typically traps "higher" and if he loses to you then I'll buy you a steak dinner....
Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05YellowEVO8,Jan 17 2007, 09:12 PM
1/4 mile trap speeds is an indicator of how much power a car is putting out effectively to the ground, therefore a car that traps "higher" will be the faster car on a highway roll-on race.....

If anyone is in doubt go race a car that typically traps "higher" and if he loses to you then I'll buy you a steak dinner....
evo trap a couple mph higher then the S does. I've beaten every stock one i've raced from a roll. You owe me a lot of dinners . I've taken a couple stock sti's on the highway also. Although they did a hell of a lot better then stock evo's i've run.

Not hating, love the evo and have been thinking about one if what I really wan doesn't fall through, but just stating through personal experiences.

Quick Reply: MY06 vs EVO IX MR