S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Race Invitation

Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Invitation

Howdy y'all,

So the other night I was coming home from work at around 3am, when this subbie pulls up next to me while we are in a 45mph city street. I was just cruising, but he came flying up and matched my speed, revving his engine. I kind of just pretended he didn't exist, as I have had enough tickets from my zx9r to know when and where to race someone. After about 20 seconds of not acknowledging him, he pulls forward, switches into my lane, and then flashes his hazards for one quick cycle. He waited a second, then pulled away.

Could someone a little more savvy to this dealings let me know what in the heck happened?

For bikes, you don't have all this complicated nonsense, you just chase the guy, trying to be the faster guy.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

he just wanted to do a pull with you man, he was just persistent.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Happens to me all.. the.. time.. and usually in the worst scenarios.. the wet, heavy traffic, etc. I ignore them, hope they get a clue in life, and hope they don't end up killing someone with their stupidity.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

When I was a kid, I had people trying to do stop light drags with me. I would rev with them, inch up to the line, and when the light went green...I'd turn right and leave them looking like an idiot screaming away from the light all by themselves.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
When I was a kid, I had people trying to do stop light drags with me. I would rev with them, inch up to the line, and when the light went green...I'd turn right and leave them looking like an idiot screaming away from the light all by themselves.
my buddy did this to some ricer once. The kid didn't see the cop chilling behind my friend until it was too late LOL.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jimboslice
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1399570553' post='23150597
my buddy did this to some ricer once. The kid didn't see the cop chilling behind my friend until it was too late LOL.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Do it all the time, PRICELESS... but yeah OP, he want to race... altho good thing you didnt race he'd prob smoke you and give him more reasons on why he should continue with this conduct.. those subbies these days are pretty fast...

Its funny how i had a 400hp IS300 (stealthy) for almost 2 years and only had situations like these 2-3 times
Has a yellow supercharged integra type R and for 6 months and lonly had this happen once
1 month with my S2000 and it has happened already 3 times!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This happened to me once going out from Davis.

Just a regular evening after gaming at UC Davis MU, going home in my friend's Celica. A Subie pulled up next to us and then accelerated...we didn't care. After a few seconds, we saw him spinning behind us and crashed.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got this all the time when I was driving a 66 VW bug that we had. It was mainly just civics that saw I was a young kid. I only accepted a couple of times. None of them knew that we had a 2498cc engine that got up and went pretty quickly. The look on their face was priceless.

Since having my S2000 I've only put 200 miles on it here in town, and have had more mustangs try to race me than I can even count. The number of ricers that drive by and rev their engines is astronomically high as well. I stay pretty conservative in my S2000 though, I suppose some of that is due to maturing a little more.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:10 PM

I think the maturing concept is key. But I am sure that it only occurred through the experiences we had when we were younger, "getting it out of our system."

And realizing that this isn't a drag car. People see "sporty" and think fast, but this is a mountain roads car. Not saying it can't be quick or fast, but not what it is made for, and not why we brought it into our lives

Quick Reply: Race Invitation