S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Random and Unexpected Challengers...

Old 10-23-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, what a story. Alot of trucks down south where I live...get that all the time.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Years ago I had some GMC pick-up ride my ass for like 20 miles on my commute home from work. Pushing me but not passing me I finally just pulled over and he passed by me as close as he could get. Why do they dislike us so much? And its not like you can follow them somewhere and them, you're driving an S2K not some non-descript one in a million pick-up.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One time I was going to work and I was in a hurry, On one of the merging ramps I saw this Civic merge and I glanced over and as I passed him he had this grin on his face so my first thought was Honda Hotboy. I didn't give it much thought since I was sort of rushing but as I kept going he was trying to catch up but was having some trouble. We hit a red light and once it turned green he dumped the clutch and a crap load of blue smoke engulfed my cabin, I had the windows down so I let him have it. It only took half of first gear to catch up and I proceeded to give him the Fatality. Kept a close eye at my car for the next couple of days just in case. I like my seats!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:05 AM

Today whilst going to work, a white hatchback BMW approaches me (116d I think or something) from behind. Tries to pass me but unfortunately stopped by the traffic light, so we are side by side waiting for amber. 2 lanes join to one in 200ft after the light.
I am not looking at the driver, I'm not racing in my mind neither preparing to, just aligning and waiting.

Red goes to amber and before it turns green I can sense the BMW going for it, (thought inside me, 'why not') and floored it (I think at 34miles I caught up and started pulling), BMW gave up and slotted behind. I'm all stock BTW.

I'm looking at the mirror and I can see a woman in her mid-30s probably (not good with ages, just guessing) with a scarf around her neck and glasses looking
rather disappointed. I checked out of curiosity the stats of this BMW (best case scenario for a 3 door is 134 hp, 8.4 sec 0-60mph)

What's even more interesting is that I found out that we work together as we entered the work car park at the same time and she made a couple of worrying rounds before she could find her spot. Tsk tsk tsk.. A spot in a 60% empty parking. Written down her plate just in case. Need to keep an eye on her, don't want my car keyed or something!

Not to underestimate women drivers, but I was not expecting such 'competition' from a LADY..
Old 11-03-2014, 06:21 AM

pretty much stock my00 s2k vs a genesis 2.0T. We did a roll from about 100km/h to around 210km/h, and he only got about half of a car length on me.
Is it just me, or is the s2k alot faster than people think?
also raced a bugeye sti "with a boost leak",(I couldn't hear anything wrong) we did 3 runsfrom 80 to about 180, and 2 out of the 3 times, I got him by about a car length. Rally cars aren't made for top speed runs
Old 11-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Similar situation actually, I was behind a turbodiesel Dodge ram that was throwing soot from its exhaust. I went in the next lane and as I was passing him the 40 something year old guy floored it. In his mind I could only imagine something along the lines of " whats wrong, you don't like the smell of freedom" was going through his head.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Years ago I had a (jerk) classmate who wanted to race me on back roads but I didn't want to be bothered. He kept at it and finally I caved and said something like "first one back wins." This was about 50 miles of all 2-lane roads and I managed to jump in front and pass a looooooooooog line of cars. When I got out of sight over a couple of hills and curves, I slid onto a side road that was hidden from the highway and saw him flash past a minute or two later. We found him, the police, and fire department with his car rolled over about 20 miles down the road... He was fine. Car was totaled.

-- Chuck
Old 11-10-2014, 06:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was on the highway last night and went to go around a Raptor, as soon as I got about a car length ahead he sped up next to me an kept pacing me from the right lane. So I let off a little to see if he would keep going and as soon as I let off he slowed up as well. I dropped down a couple gears, we were probably doing about 50 when he jumped on it. As soon as I hit it i caught him and put about 3 cars between us. I wasnt sure if he was all in on it the whole way though.

I ended up following him down the highway, we were headed in the same direction for about an hour, and we got another gap so we slowed to about 45 this time and I heard him drop to a lower gear (not sure how that works on those trucks ) and he took off again I went by him and kept putting distance on him.

I'm fairly certain that he was stock, and I am bone stock as well. I wasn't really to sure what to expect, for some reason I had it in my mind he would give me a better run for my money. Anyone else ever have an encounter with a raptor? Results?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by namedonelettere
Similar situation actually, I was behind a turbodiesel Dodge ram that was throwing soot from its exhaust. I went in the next lane and as I was passing him the 40 something year old guy floored it. In his mind I could only imagine something along the lines of " whats wrong, you don't like the smell of freedom" was going through his head.
your sig just made my day.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tdoolin18
I was on the highway last night and went to go around a Raptor, as soon as I got about a car length ahead he sped up next to me an kept pacing me from the right lane. So I let off a little to see if he would keep going and as soon as I let off he slowed up as well. I dropped down a couple gears, we were probably doing about 50 when he jumped on it. As soon as I hit it i caught him and put about 3 cars between us. I wasnt sure if he was all in on it the whole way though.

I ended up following him down the highway, we were headed in the same direction for about an hour, and we got another gap so we slowed to about 45 this time and I heard him drop to a lower gear (not sure how that works on those trucks ) and he took off again I went by him and kept putting distance on him.

I'm fairly certain that he was stock, and I am bone stock as well. I wasn't really to sure what to expect, for some reason I had it in my mind he would give me a better run for my money. Anyone else ever have an encounter with a raptor? Results?
That seems about right. I found one running a canyon around here one night between 40 and 100mph. I know the road extremely well and it seemed he was the same. He slowed down a bit until I caught up, then went for it. Obviously it couldn't compare on the bends, but I was surprised. For a truck that can weigh over 5500 lbs, it seemed to turn, but then again the driver was really pushing it. On the straights I was always gaining on him pretty good. With a side-by-side race I could see how our cars could easily pull 2 or 3 lengths. Stock '01 here, no idea about the other guy. I just got a thumbs up at the end as he went on his way.

Quick Reply: Random and Unexpected Challengers...