S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Random and Unexpected Challengers...

Old 11-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my commute to work in the mornings I take a left at a light with two lanes to get onto the two lane on-ramp where the right lane ends, merging left. Not a lot of people get on the highway from this direction in the morning so I'm frequently the first car in the left lane because that's the one that doesn't end. So, many many times I get all sorts of vehicles that will come up in the right lane, come to a complete stop with me, and the light turns green. Now I've usually been sitting at the light for quite some time and I'm in the right-of-way lane. But so many times these right-lane junkies will gun it to try to get around me. Frankly I find it disrespectful. I mean, I'm not a f***ing Mack truck, garbage truck, or other nominally slower vehicle. I'm in a two seater convertible and I'm young. I'm not going to go "slow" for you to keep you from getting to your job... Do they think they are more important than me? So irritating.

Then, on the way BACK from work, heading home, I get off the highway at that same exit and there is only 1 lane that turns right. Not a lot of people commute home off of this exit so I'm very frequently the only one turning right. When I do, there's 2 lanes I turn into with a light in only about 50 feet, only fits about 3 cars maybe before someone would be blocking traffic at the exit light. Well the right lane ends in about 200 ft after the light. When I turn right and get in the left lane since that's the one that ISN'T going to end once I pass through the light. The way the lights are timed as soon as I make a right 9/10 times that light will catch me and I'm almost always the first car at the light. Well then 15 seconds later the traffic on the bridge on the exit comes up behind me and will jump around to the right lane... And as soon as the light turns they're peelign out. Again, very annoying. I never let them pass me though lol. Again, it's kind of disrespectful considering I was there first, I was in this lane first, and I'm not a slow car that's going to hold you up on the road so what's the point?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tdoolin18
I was on the highway last night and went to go around a Raptor, as soon as I got about a car length ahead he sped up next to me an kept pacing me from the right lane. So I let off a little to see if he would keep going and as soon as I let off he slowed up as well. I dropped down a couple gears, we were probably doing about 50 when he jumped on it. As soon as I hit it i caught him and put about 3 cars between us. I wasnt sure if he was all in on it the whole way though.

I ended up following him down the highway, we were headed in the same direction for about an hour, and we got another gap so we slowed to about 45 this time and I heard him drop to a lower gear (not sure how that works on those trucks ) and he took off again I went by him and kept putting distance on him.

I'm fairly certain that he was stock, and I am bone stock as well. I wasn't really to sure what to expect, for some reason I had it in my mind he would give me a better run for my money. Anyone else ever have an encounter with a raptor? Results?
hmm I always thought the raptors were pretty quick and would take a stock s2k....but I just looked up their specs and realized that a stock s2k is actually a decent amount quicker then a raptor. Learn something new everyday.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by jkelley
On my commute to work in the mornings I take a left at a light with two lanes to get onto the two lane on-ramp where the right lane ends, merging left. Not a lot of people get on the highway from this direction in the morning so I'm frequently the first car in the left lane because that's the one that doesn't end. So, many many times I get all sorts of vehicles that will come up in the right lane, come to a complete stop with me, and the light turns green. Now I've usually been sitting at the light for quite some time and I'm in the right-of-way lane. But so many times these right-lane junkies will gun it to try to get around me. Frankly I find it disrespectful. I mean, I'm not a f***ing Mack truck, garbage truck, or other nominally slower vehicle. I'm in a two seater convertible and I'm young. I'm not going to go "slow" for you to keep you from getting to your job... Do they think they are more important than me? So irritating.

Then, on the way BACK from work, heading home, I get off the highway at that same exit and there is only 1 lane that turns right. Not a lot of people commute home off of this exit so I'm very frequently the only one turning right. When I do, there's 2 lanes I turn into with a light in only about 50 feet, only fits about 3 cars maybe before someone would be blocking traffic at the exit light. Well the right lane ends in about 200 ft after the light. When I turn right and get in the left lane since that's the one that ISN'T going to end once I pass through the light. The way the lights are timed as soon as I make a right 9/10 times that light will catch me and I'm almost always the first car at the light. Well then 15 seconds later the traffic on the bridge on the exit comes up behind me and will jump around to the right lane... And as soon as the light turns they're peelign out. Again, very annoying. I never let them pass me though lol. Again, it's kind of disrespectful considering I was there first, I was in this lane first, and I'm not a slow car that's going to hold you up on the road so what's the point?
I find myself in the same situation from time to time at a light near my house. I too find it a little annoying considering that a lot of times the person that speeds up to get in front of me then travels slower then I want to go. It depends what kind of mood I am in and if the fiancé is in the car on whether or not I allow this to happen. They always get the jump since I never launch or pull to hard in 1st but the look on their face as I go screaming past is usually priceless.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by S2kgreg
I too find it a little annoying considering that a lot of times the person that speeds up to get in front of me then travels slower then I want to go.
^This x100000 lol

I also don't launch my car but typically the cars that are trying to do this to me are heavy and aren't anything special, so I can pretty quickly overcome them in 1st. I like to keep my face like I don't even realize I'm doing it to them, and then go from 1st to 5th gear (not skip shifting, but slipping in and out of the gears and landing in 5th) and then acting as is nothing happened lol. I can usually do this without even breaking the posted speed limit lol.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never race on the street. It's too dangerous
Old 11-14-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eluded

Okay, thanks for the input...

On a lighter note, I was driving normally in my S a couple months ago and a rust bucket base model cavalier came along weaving traffic on 2 and 3 lane roads like he was in the Indy 500. Time and time again we come to stop lights a car or 2 apart. I turn right onto the final road before the freeway on ramp which was about a 1/2 mile up the road. The 2nd to last set of lights before the on ramp we get front row next to each other. He revs it up and takes off like a jackass as I mosey my way up to the final lights. A double left turn lane to the ramp. Finally I had enough cause this guy was smiling like he just took the checkered. So I let him peel out from the left, tighter turn lane as I eased it through the corner and then went WOT. The on ramp sweeps wide left then wide right. I never saw him come off the wide left before I hit the right. Got on the freeway and set my cruise for about 7 over. About a minute later he comes screaming past me and flips me the bird... The whole situation made my day.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F1_DNA
On a lighter note, I was driving normally in my S a couple months ago and a rust bucket base model cavalier came along weaving traffic on 2 and 3 lane roads like he was in the Indy 500. Time and time again we come to stop lights a car or 2 apart. I turn right onto the final road before the freeway on ramp which was about a 1/2 mile up the road. The 2nd to last set of lights before the on ramp we get front row next to each other. He revs it up and takes off like a jackass as I mosey my way up to the final lights. A double left turn lane to the ramp. Finally I had enough cause this guy was smiling like he just took the checkered. So I let him peel out from the left, tighter turn lane as I eased it through the corner and then went WOT. The on ramp sweeps wide left then wide right. I never saw him come off the wide left before I hit the right. Got on the freeway and set my cruise for about 7 over. About a minute later he comes screaming past me and flips me the bird... The whole situation made my day.

Haha gotta love that. I hate people who drive like that it annoys the hell out of me but it's always a great feeling to piss off someone who is driving like a moron.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eluded
You never speed either?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F1_DNA
Originally Posted by Eluded' timestamp='1415938139' post='23404752

Okay, thanks for the input...

haha. I've noticed, the slower/shittier the car, the crazier the driver. You would almost never see someone drive like that in a car thats actually worth something. For me its always the 90s civics, integras, camrys etc