S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Turbo S vs ...a few different cars

Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo S vs ...a few different cars

A few details on the car. After having the engine torn down because of a meltdown on stock compression racing a bike, had a block sleeved and rebuilt with lower compression forged pistons (9:1), carillo rods and reconditioned head. I am still using my old setup which consists of cast log manifold, older t3/t4 journal bearing turbo, a very inefficient Intercooler and turbo back exhaust, 3". Running HKS FCON standalone and Siemens 630 injectors. Everything is pretty much at max capacity and efficiency and the car made 372 whp on a dyno dynamics dyno. My friend says that it reads low and most s2ks hit around 160 whp.

Onto the races. I've had the car out of commission for nearly 3 years so it was exciting to have the car back and I'm still on break in oil but was told to romp on it for the next 1000 kms.

I've had the car for about a week now. On my first drive out I was just cruising and getting used to it when I look and see a 2009 vette pull up beside me. We are cruising at around 100 km/h and he drops it. I drop it to 3rd and we are neck-and-neck until about 160 when we had to shut it down because of traffic. A couple more gos and the same result. He couldn't pull away. Had a chat with him and found out it's a ZR1 and he was asking about my car and seemed pretty impressed. Nice guy. Thought all vette drivers were arrogant dudes!

Next day, went to buy milk of all things...across the city!! Ran into a porsche and was thinking, this should be fun. He saw me in his rear view and slowed down. He had a passenger and when he read my license plate (skool u) he took it upon himself to put me in my place! We had a few "flexing moments" where we would get on the accelerator for a bit but would end up hitting traffic. We ended up circumventing all of that and finally got onto it. In the end, he inched his way past me by about half a car length. I then realized that it was a 911 turbo S. Unfortunately, didn't get a chance to chat but man that thing was fast!

Again, found a reason to go for a drive, I passed an audi S6 on the highway but he didn't like that. He dropped the hammer, as did I in turn, and before I know it, I just see him slowly but surely fade in my rear view as I continue to pull away. No cars at all so we had A LOT of room. I slow down and as he passes, he rolled his window down and we talk. He asked what I was running and just says, "that is so impressive!!" Super nice guy!

Last night I decided to go buy some usb cables and of course...go for a drive. Pull into the turning lane for the highway and I saw a motorbike and a camaro ZL1 in front of me. They were chatting and the light turns green so we slowly approach the turn to the straight when I get on it and blow by the bike. I think he was a new driver or it was a slower bike but the camaro decided he wasn't having any of it and drops it too. We side by side until about 200 km/h (again, no cars whatsoever) when we hit a bend in the road with the slightest of dips that makes my back end a bit squirrelly causing me to get scared so I let off. I am only running 245/35/18s in the rear and looking at his tires...they look SO Wide!! I let off and he continues to roll at high speed. I wanted to chat but he just kept going!

All in all, I've had the car back for a week and I'm pretty impressed! Unfortunately, can't fit a baby seat and wife in the trunk so I'll have to continue to make excused to go for drives!!

The car has been in the shop for years so I'm not making any plans to upgrade anything (i want to make up for lost time and enjoy it for a while) but my friend/tuner says that with a couple more upgrades like new manifold, turbo, injectors and Intercooler, it'll be a beast. In time I guess.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:13 AM

sounds like great runs man! I go on drives just "because" and those become the best ones. I'm no where near as fast as you which I wish I was lol but nonetheless I have a great time with the runs I have as well.

Be safe and I would love to see pictures of the setup!
Old 07-25-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by S2KERRP2
sounds like great runs man! I go on drives just "because" and those become the best ones. I'm no where near as fast as you which I wish I was lol but nonetheless I have a great time with the runs I have as well. Be safe and I would love to see pictures of the setup!
It's funny because back in my younger days, I would go searching for races in my turbo prelude which had like 200 whp (young and dumb) and run into cars like a CRX, a type r or a fix body mustang and think, "this is going to be a crazy race!" Now, cars are so bloody powerful and I find them all over the place at the least likely of times. All of these encounters were midday to late afternoon. I don't even drive past 7 o'clock in my old age!!
Old 07-25-2015, 10:22 AM

I guess this thread was just to show how fast a turbo S can go and what it can hang with because I know a lot of people always wonder, "how fast will my car be if I make this amount of power?"

Before boost, I always wondered, how much whp will I need to beat XX car?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good runs. Sounds like an upgraded diff is in your future lolol
Old 07-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by LDfavoriteson
Good runs. Sounds like an upgraded diff is in your future lolol
Haha on yeah! I totally forgot about that along with the other upgrades if I choose to go with more power. I haven't done any launches at all and I have an upgrades clutch but that thing is not traffic friendly at all! It's on or off! I've read that any more power and the diff becomes extremely compromised so yeah, you're spot on with that!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by skool u
Originally Posted by S2KERRP2
sounds like great runs man! I go on drives just "because" and those become the best ones. I'm no where near as fast as you which I wish I was lol but nonetheless I have a great time with the runs I have as well. Be safe and I would love to see pictures of the setup!
It's funny because back in my younger days, I would go searching for races in my turbo prelude which had like 200 whp (young and dumb) and run into cars like a CRX, a type r or a fix body mustang and think, "this is going to be a crazy race!" Now, cars are so bloody powerful and I find them all over the place at the least likely of times. All of these encounters were midday to late afternoon. I don't even drive past 7 o'clock in my old age!!
Yea todays cars really make ours nothing when it comes to the straights without boost. My friends stock four door 335i I was barely able to pull him a car, and if im caught outside of VTEC I lose lol and your right you have encounters when your not looking for them and BAM they are the best ones lol.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skool u
Haha on yeah! I totally forgot about that along with the other upgrades if I choose to go with more power. I haven't done any launches at all and I have an upgrades clutch but that thing is not traffic friendly at all! It's on or off! I've read that any more power and the diff becomes extremely compromised so yeah, you're spot on with that!
Hahaha yeah. Just giving you a heads up. The diff was the one mod I didn't initially anticipate in my build. As long as you don't launch and do your pulls in 3rd gear and above you should be ok for a while. However based on your posts it seems like it's only a matter of time before u meet someone at a light...
Old 07-27-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Man I miss being turbo
Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice kills! I think 500whp is the perfect power level for a s2k. Your almost there

Quick Reply: Turbo S vs ...a few different cars