S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Lost to a Jetta 1.8T or VR6...WTF HAPPENED????

Old 05-08-2004, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost to a Jetta 1.8T or VR6...WTF HAPPENED????

So here is what happened...

I had too much to drink so I passed my keys to my best friend. He is no stranger to nice cars so when VTEC kicks in he mashes the gas to floor.

This Jetta 1.8T or VR6 came up on us flexin his muscles (I could not read whether it was Turbo or VR6, again alcohol) so I tell my boy to show him what S2k is all about. I laugh to myself because I have driven a Golf 1.8T which is lighter than a Jetta and the thing had no balls at all. My friend redlines 4th gear at WOT and slams into 5th perfectly, we have about 3 carlengths. WOT at 86-88k RPM he slams into 6th and we are doing about 130MPH. I look in the side view mirror and the Jetta starts pulling on us hard at 132MPH, we are absolute WOT!!!! He passes us and has a good 3 carlengths before he shuts down. Oh yeah he had one passenger. I have never been pulled on like this at this speed especially by a VW.

All I could tell was he had a modified exhaust and the car was extremely quiet. The only thing I can think of that could make a car like the Jetta pull like that at 130MPH is nitrous. I am bone stock, except for a strut bar and X-brace. I am pissed that my car got rocked, this is the first time my baby has ever lost. Can anyone think of anything other than nitrous that could have made me lose? If it was a 1.8T he would have had to have chip, upgraded turbo and intercooler. But to pull all of a sudden at such a high speed???

Ryan
Old 05-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*Sounds* like spray.....

Because if he was Turbo'ed....he would have reeled you in waaaay before 130.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by NFRs2000NYC
*Sounds* like spray.....

Because if he was Turbo'ed....he would have reeled you in waaaay before 130.

above 130 he had the gas........ if you had the gas you would of passed him
Old 05-09-2004, 03:23 PM

I agree that he was probably squeezing.

On a side note, I raced a ITR a couple of times a few months back, and I would pull on him until about 50, and then I'd stop pulling and we'd stay even, and then at about 100, he just blew by me.

He said he wasn't spraying; I even got a chance to see under the hood, and I didn't see any nitrous, but maybe it was a ghost kit........?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:11 PM

Oh well, my buddy gave my car its all. We were absolutely tapped for power give or take a few more MPH and he pulled on us easily. He blew by us at about 134 and we just shut down, there was no point in even trying and we are not ones to do the loser fly by. In fact we got off the freeway to try to talk to him but he just jumped back on the freeway again in the opposite direction. I guess he missed his offramp racing my S

Ryan
Old 05-09-2004, 09:17 PM

That car was modded and he sprayed nitrous.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

umm it doesnt have to be nitrous unless I am missing something in the story.

I'd say there is a much much better chance it was a turbo car (aftermarket mods) and maybe he started off in a gear too high. That way, when he finally hit his powerband, he started pulling like crazy.

Its a nono to spray in the higer gears. You can get away with it a few times but its not recommended. I am guessing at 130mph, the Jetta was already past 4th gear.

Last but not least. Its a Jetta. Much more likely to have aftermarket turbos than a big shot of nitrous.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kumar75150
umm it doesnt have to be nitrous unless I am missing something in the story.

I'd say there is a much much better chance it was a turbo car (aftermarket mods) and maybe he started off in a gear too high.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:42 PM

I'm going to agree with the majority here. I have a 1.8T Jetta with chip and exhaust and I stand no chance against an S2000. I've been in a friend's Stage 3 VW Golf and it was crazy fast. If this guy was Stage 3 he would have caught you far before 130mph. If I had to guess I'd say he's chipped which kept him close and then he sprayed to pass you.

On a different note, was your top up or down? I tried to search google but I couldn't find the drag coefficient of an S2000. Do you guys know it? Anyway, a Jetta is like 0.30 so if your top was down at 130mph that may have helped him catch and pass you. Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Banned

With the top down at high speeds, it feels like there's a parachute pulling it back. I think with the top down, the S has 0.46.

Quick Reply: Lost to a Jetta 1.8T or VR6...WTF HAPPENED????