S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Stock Evo Vs C4 With Borla Exhaust

Old 07-15-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Evo Vs C4 With Borla Exhaust

Just got back from racing my friend's '94 auto C4 Vette with borla exhaust, with my stock Evo. We both had one passenger. 3 races: 30-100mph, 25-100mph, 55-110mph. I won them all, although they were pretty close (by 1-2 cars only - I gotta verify on the videos). My passenger's got videos of them too.

Of course there was excuses to be had by my V8 friend, so he said he had traction control on, said borla exhaust lost him 15hp?, and said his auto didn't downshift fast enough .

My side....I've got a boost gauge that tells me the peak boost until I reset it, and I was only hitting 17.5psi in every race, except the last, which was 17.8psi. On average, I drop 2-3psi by redline. I have a boost controller on order, so after that, it'll be 19psi across the band. We're gonna race again to see how bad I can beat him.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:39 AM

Nice run...Yeah my hubby raced an older Vette in his EVO and pulled on him pretty good. He has a k&n drop in filter and an Invidia Catback. You plan on getting a reflash?

My hubby is all pumped up about getting his mods...he will soon have another DP (sold his Helix) Cams, P2 and maybe water injection, all by WORKS.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:10 AM

C4's are slow...nice win though.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:11 AM

does depend on the year of the C4, does the one u raced have a dented ass or the round one? thats how i describe them. The later C4's with the LT4 were very strong 330hp underated a little bit. Just be careful you dont run into a ZR1 vette....they look almost identicle to other C4 models.....but the difference is under the hood

ps. that def was a bullcrap answer with the borla losing him power.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quik S2K,Jul 16 2004, 02:39 AM
Nice run...Yeah my hubby raced an older Vette in his EVO and pulled on him pretty good. He has a k&n drop in filter and an Invidia Catback. You plan on getting a reflash?

My hubby is all pumped up about getting his mods...he will soon have another DP (sold his Helix) Cams, P2 and maybe water injection, all by WORKS.
I thought about the mail-in dynoflash as my first mod, but for $90 I went ahead and got the Hallman Pro manual boost controller. Should be straightforward install and really good bang for the buck. I heard it was one of the only boost controllers to properly hold a certain pressure to redline. Also about the flash, I don't like the idea of having to reflash after another set of mods, so I'll hold out on that til the end (hopefully, I'll do Al's road tune). QuikS2k, your husband should have gotten the QTEC electronic cutout exhaust. They're making a 3" downpipe with a cutout in the pipe, so when you push a button, it opens up and you get a straight pipe. You get the best of both worlds with that downpipe--stock quiet exhaust and then loudass performance exhaust with lightning fast spool up. That's my next mod.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Downpipe/

Derrick, when I sat in my friend's C4, which is the LT1 kind, it felt faster than my Evo. It just seems to pull and pull, even in the higher rpms. In my car, the higher rpms seem to have a drop in hp. But I tell ya, boost builds up really fast in the Evo. Those races, I always got the initial lead after the honks because of it, and I would hold and slightly pull.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:00 PM

I know ZR1's are different...awesome cars and maybe there are some quick C4's I've just never raced any that are fast stock. I raced a burgundy C4 a couple of days ago from a dig and I let off around 130mph as there was no way he could run with me. He tried his luck at our next stop light and I shut down at the end of third with a clear victory again. I have had many similar experiences with C4's....they've all been MUCH SLOWER than the C5.

Derrick, when I sat in my friend's C4, which is the LT1 kind, it felt faster than my Evo.
Also remember...they are still V8's and produce good torque so they will FEEL fast. My M3 doesn't really feel fast but I've run 13 flat at 107mph multiple times and my 60' times aren't great. It is deceptively fast because it doesn't have the torque a V8 delivers but produces very similar numbers anway. I've had the M3 over a year now which is a REALLY LONG time for me to keep a car.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by derryck,Jul 16 2004, 03:00 PM
I know ZR1's are different...awesome cars and maybe there are some quick C4's I've just never raced any that are fast stock. I raced a burgundy C4 a couple of days ago from a dig and I let off around 130mph as there was no way he could run with me. He tried his luck at our next stop light and I shut down at the end of third with a clear victory again. I have had many similar experiences with C4's....they've all been MUCH SLOWER than the C5.

Also remember...they are still V8's and produce good torque so they will FEEL fast. My M3 doesn't really feel fast but I've run 13 flat at 107mph multiple times and my 60' times aren't great. It is deceptively fast because it doesn't have the torque a V8 delivers but produces very similar numbers anway. I've had the M3 over a year now which is a REALLY LONG time for me to keep a car.
Wouldn't you're trap speeds be over 110? You must have a good 60ft time.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:17 PM

The only external differences that'll give away are the ZR1 rims and a badge.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:22 AM

The other night I was over my friends g/f's house, and I look in the garage and see a regular C4 there. I go closer to take a better look and notice the ZR1 badge on the back, I was like My friend was giving me some quizzical look and I told him how much the ZR1 has for horsepower and we both started drooling over it!