S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Vortech S2000 vs Audi R8 *videos inside*

Old 09-25-2010, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Vortech S2000 vs Audi R8 *videos inside*

So my friends an I decided to have some spontaneous friendly competition between some cars. Although we did not have much room to race, or any good roads to race on, we made do with what we had.

Please understand that all the competition took part in deserted roads. Nobody other then the participants and some dirt were in any sort of danger if something were to have occurred.

So I pull up to the R8 going about 30mph. The road has a noticeable incline to it...making my situation a bit more interesting. I am at the bottom of second gear and I believe he is in second as well. Three honks and we're off! We're neck and neck. I grab third as fast as I could and I hear his car ringing out second gear. Nobody has pulled an inch. He gets into third shortly before I get into forth. At the top of third gear, I start to inch away. As soon as I grab forth, I jump a car and his car is a little bit off of my rear bumper. I continue to pull as we let off around 110-115mph.

Not a bad showing for the S2000! The car is a peaky bastard so the incline of the road worried me.

Next up, the R8 raced an E92 M3 with minor bolt-ons (intake/exhaust). The car is dynoing right around 380whp. They race and are pretty even...each car will pull depending on gearing but for all intensive purpose, they are in a dead heat.

I was behind them at the time and they started from a dig. I was wide open at 5mph but I do not hit power for a while and they shot forward. As soon as I got into forth gear, I could noticeably see myself gaining on both the M3 and R8.

Not too bad for a four banger!

We are all running again tomorrow evening. This time on a road more suited for drag racing...flat, straight, long. I'll keep this updated!

For reference purposes, my car makes a bit over 400whp. Boost, as logged by my AEM serial gauge, is peaked at 12.1psi when I shift around 8200-8400rpm.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:10 AM

Sounds about right, the R8 4.2L I saw dyno'd put down 383whp @ EVOMS. Honestly to me the R8 falls in the same category as the NSX, totally baller status, but way overpriced for what you really get.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:02 AM

Well I just got back from our race. A new car appeared...it was a B5 Audi S4 with an RS6 turbo swap. Power levels are estimated at 460awhp. We raced twice.

First run, we both started at the same time at around 55mph. Through the gears, we were pretty much even all the way up to about 120mph. From there on, I started to pull away. By the time we lifted at 150 or so, I had pulled about a car to car and a half on the S4.

I'm the car closest to the camera. Clutch delay valve ftl.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gdkLRPoec [/media]

Second run, he jumped me and held a one car lead until about 130mph. I started to pull him in and caught up to his bumper by the time I ran out of gear at 161mph as recorded by my serial gauge linked to the EMS.

I'm the car furthest from the camera.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7O1vWuz96A [/media]

As for the R8, we only raced once...but this race was more than enough to show the power difference between the two cars. At 160mph, my S2000 had many cars on the R8.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfFYhfbEw9Q [/media]

My friend with the R8 has the video camera in which the videos are stored. I hope to get them up as soon as I can.

On a horrible end note, my car got reffed with a 27156(b) code. Needless to say, I haven't been this sad since I lost my first love.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:04 AM

Nice races man, and at insane speeds. What's the 27156(b) code mean?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by CypherAZ,Sep 26 2010, 01:10 AM
Sounds about right, the R8 4.2L I saw dyno'd put down 383whp @ EVOMS. Honestly to me the R8 falls in the same category as the NSX, totally baller status, but way overpriced for what you really get.
I would still want either one of those two cars you named, though.
Nice runs, OP.
Is the R8 modded?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Enlightened,Sep 26 2010, 05:04 AM
Nice races man, and at insane speeds. What's the 27156(b) code mean?
That code means that I will no longer have a car that will smash on R8's. It is a California State referee ticket. I have to bring my car back to stock. Because I do not have the time or resources to do so, I may just have to sell the car.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by UmarS2K,Sep 26 2010, 10:21 AM
I would still want either one of those two cars you named, though.
Nice runs, OP.
Is the R8 modded?
Thanks!

The R8 is completely unmolested in terms of modifications.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by patrickwei813,Sep 26 2010, 12:38 PM
That code means that I will no longer have a car that will smash on R8's. It is a California State referee ticket. I have to bring my car back to stock. Because I do not have the time or resources to do so, I may just have to sell the car.
Hmmm..I found this site, it may help: http://www.ticketassassin.com/
Old 09-26-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Enlightened,Sep 26 2010, 01:44 PM
Hmmm..I found this site, it may help: http://www.ticketassassin.com/
I appreciate your willingness to help!

However, this isn't just an average ticket. It explicitly says that I have to bring my back to stock as any and all modifications are illegal in the state of California...even if the parts are CARB certified.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:28 PM

That sucks man. Best of luck to you.

You'll make more money parting the supercharger stuff out than selling it outright.

I learned my lesson like that as well.

If I buy a car to mod again, it'll be something that looks stock even when extremely modified.

Take the S4 for example. RS4 K04s, and all the supporting mods will get you 500+hp, but it'll look completely stock. That's the kind of car that's ideal for California.

Quick Reply: Vortech S2000 vs Audi R8 *videos inside*