S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

What a Night

Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What a Night

So i got bored last night around 9 and decided to take my S for a spin down Kanan to PCH then back up Topanga, which is where the trouble started. First i got stuck behind a spark with both tail lights out who decided that 30 was the correct speed to drive at...and apparently didnt know how to use a turnout. Then, once i got around that obstacle i nearly lost the S when it got a bit squirrely, back end slid out right, then left, then recovered itself (i say itself because it happened so fast i dont remember what i did, all i know is i didnt jerk the wheel or slam the brakes.) Then i continued on. When i got over the hill, i watched a guy on a sport bike wipeout on a corner, lucky for him he did it where there was just loose, not hard packed, dirt. I flipped a U to make sure he was OK, he was with a bunch of other riders, think i saw about 100 in all, split in groups of 10 or so. Anyway, he was alright, his bike still worked, and 6 other riders had stopped, so i left. I got to the turn lane to get on the 101 going north, i was in the outside of the two turn lanes, next to i think a newer volvo. The light turned green and i started out, very easy, and as i reach the middle of the turn, i realize the volvo decided to go straight, and nearly runs straight into my side. WTF, i was sitting next to them at the light for a full 20 seconds not even 5 seconds ago. I got out of there and drove home as calmly as i could. What a crazy night, saw my first motorcycle crash and nearly had my first two car accidents in a car i actually own...
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Does this read well to you, when you read it sober?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 AM

It is a crazy night. Luckily you escaped physically unharmed. What caused you to loose the rear end? I would be more concerned with that than anything else at this point.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
It is a crazy night. Luckily you escaped physically unharmed. What caused you to loose the rear end? I would be more concerned with that than anything else at this point.
I think uneven/repaired road (so one tire was on rough original asphalt and the other was on newer smother stuff) plus a little too much speed and braking a bit too late, my fault in other words, not the car. It didnt slide much and i never got sideways, more like a shimmy to one side then the other when i corrected for the first one.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

What a great story about your S on the streets of the L.A. Metro area!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's it? One jerk going too slow and one jerk who doesn't know where he's going? You're lucky if you only run across two jerks a night while driving in SoCal. I run across that stuff at least 10 times a day! The bike crash was worth mentioning though, good of you to make sure he was ok.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Not Sure
That's it? One jerk going too slow and one jerk who doesn't know where he's going? You're lucky if you only run across two jerks a night while driving in SoCal. I run across that stuff at least 10 times a day! The bike crash was worth mentioning though, good of you to make sure he was ok.
There were plenty of others, but those were the worst of the bunch As for the bike, i think i would describe myself as impatiently courteous, if someone is going too slow and not using turnouts it pisses me off, but even if it had been the jerk in the spark who went off the road and crashed i still would have stopped and checked on them. And hopefully would have been able to restrain the urge to tell them that if they dont know how to drive a curvy road in the dark, maybe they should just stay home, in far more colorful terms