S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Attn: Rick Hesel, Muz, & Anyone Interested In Window Tinting!!!

Old 06-19-2001, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: Rick Hesel, Muz, & Anyone Interested In Window Tinting!!!

Ok, I have no idea if a product like this exists, if so, feel free to poke fun at me, just try to be nice

Anyways, I know that Muz & Rick both make custom parts for the S2000, so I thought this would be of interest to them.

I REALLY want my rear & side windows tinted. From what I know, there is not good way to tint the rear window (regular tint won't work, spray tint will crack, etc...). My local dealership told me that the only way to tint the rear window would be to replace it, which, they said, would void the warranty on the entire top. Not saying that there will be any problems with the top ever, but on a convertible, I think that is one part that it is important to have a warranty on. Since the rear window zips out (it does, right?) why not have an exact replica of the rear window made, except use pretinted vinyl, as opposed to the stock, clear vinyl. That way, not only would the rear window be tinted, but we would be able to simply zip the stock window back in if there was any need for warranty service....

Like I said, a product like this might already exist, if so, please direct me to the correct place and try to refrain from calling me names (j/k)....But if a product like this does not exist, I urge either Rick or Muz to create it, because if they did, I would definitely buy one (and I'm sure many others would as well).
Old 06-19-2001, 01:18 PM

I would buy it but I think it's more involved than you realize. The entire window does not zip out. I believe the base is riveted in and those rivets have to be drilled out.

I agree that replacing the widow with one that is pretinted is the optimal way to acheive the desired effect - but it's likely to be expensive with the labor involved.
Old 06-19-2001, 01:47 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

SiK182 ... check this earlier thread out....

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...ght=tinted+rear

Hope this helps..

--Muz
Old 06-19-2001, 01:49 PM

My dealership has replaced mine 2 times, and both times ran around 8 hours for installation of new back window alone. I believe the local Honda dealership near here charges $72 per hour... but if you were to go in asking for a 'complimentary' back window replacement, and give them the back window, you might be able to get them to do it under warranty.

So yes, I would be interested.
Old 06-19-2001, 02:10 PM

If is was simply a matter of zipping in and out the rear window, I'd prefer to have a glass piece which you would just take out when you wanted to put the top down. I don't see any point in having a tinted plastic window. Besides, isn't there a law which says it's mandatory for S2Ks to keep the top down in the summer?

I can see that you MIGHT want (or need) a tinted window if you have the top up in order to run the A/C - but will it really buy you anything, other than give your car a look?. And you certainly don't want to run around with a tinted window in the winter - or do you?

If anyone wants to go through most of the summer with the top up (and risk getting caught by the soft top police), then they should seriously consider getting a hardtop, and tinting the rear window of that one, instead.
Old 06-19-2001, 04:13 PM

I used a static cling sheet of tint on my S2000. Its been on there since November and the top has been up and down more times that I can count. I has stayed on great and also protected the back window from scratches since its on the outside. It can be removed and re-applied if I wanted to take it off for some reason.

Here's a picture of my window and a piece of the tint used.

Old 06-19-2001, 05:17 PM

<< Here's a picture of my window and a piece of the tint used. >>

Hey Speed: How about pre-cutting those pieces and selling them to us through the group buy process....please?
Old 06-19-2001, 06:56 PM

If I can find some more of the dark tint, the piece laying on the hood isn't as dark and has more of a blueish color to it. I can do $30.00 each if I can find the stuff. Send me an email if you are interested.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:43 PM

I am interested Speed. Your car looks great all black. Please keep me informed.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:47 PM

hey spped nice, but why on the outside, why not on the inside??

Quick Reply: Attn: Rick Hesel, Muz, & Anyone Interested In Window Tinting!!!