S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buying s2000 out of state

Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying s2000 out of state

Hey guys I need advice and your opinions about buying a my first S2000. right now I own and RSX type-s but Ive been wanting to experience owning an S2000 since its one of hondas best cars ever made. My issue is a supercharged s2000 out of state and Ive never bought a boosted car 1000+ miles away. The car is clean and It comes loaded with everything I want. Its gpw with black and red interior, puddymod diff and supercharged. its looks well maintained no rust and I really want to go buy the car. My problem is how much would it cost to ship it? Will I have to go in person and get it notarized? How do I pay the seller? I am really set on getting the car because its everything I would do If I owned a stock s2000 and I can get it for a good deal but Im worried because i want someone to inspect it and see if its worth the buy. The car is located in New York and I live in Tulsa Oklahoma. Im currently looking for a white s2000 but I really want this supercharged s2000 located in new york.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I was on the flipside of this transaction when selling my supercharged miata. Very similar sort of deal as I had a built a track capable car which would have cost 2-3 times my asking price to do from scratch. After a couple of phone calls, the buyer flew into Chicago (where i live) to check the car out for a day. We worked on a deal over a lunch and wrote up a "contract" with dates, details of car (mods to be included), exchanged photcopies of drivers licenses, and he gave me a down payment ($2K i think) that was non refundable if he backed out of the deal. We had some dates by which things would be done written into the contract. He was going to fly out and drive the car back but we got some quotes and he ended up paying for shipping which was in the $450 range. Once he wired the final balance I shipped it.

Overall it added ~$700 to his purchase price of the car with flights, buying me lunch, and shipping but that was peanuts compared to what the car had in mods which was worth it to him.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm currently working a deal with an out of state buyer.
My recommendations are, if possible, have both buyer and seller working with the same bank. When you use the same bank, cashiers checks can be trusted because they can be verified right away, or wire transfers can be trusted because again, they can be verified right away.
If this is not possible due to location issues, I think the next best thing is an escrow. For ~$200 depending on price of the vehicle, money can be held by a 3rd party, verified, and once the vehicle is in possession of the buyer, money will be moved to the seller.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

^What he said about working with same bank.

I've heard ballparks of around 300-500 for that sort of shipment, but also depends on enclosed or open..

I've never dealt with out of state shipping, I purchased mine in Indiana which was right next to Chicago so I just drove 1.5 hours to get it.

Good luck with the purchase.

I too owned a Type-S (Mine was an 04 comptech supercharged). Fun little cars.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

You can put an auto trailer on the back of a pickup and bring the car home yourself.

-- Chuck
Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
You can put an auto trailer on the back of a pickup and bring the car home yourself.

-- Chuck
That would be a 40+ hour round trip, best to have it shipped.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased my s2000 out of state. I live in NJ and flew to Austin TX to go look at the car. Test drove it with the owner and all tested out good. We decided on a price went to the bank did the transaction there and she handed me over a folder of all paperwork work from the beginning of the cars life. Drove it to Houston where I have family flew back home and found a auto transport carrier who shipped it for $550.00 I say if the deal is right and you can do it then go for it. But take your time looking over the car because you don't want no surprises later down the road.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have purchased 1 car from a distance. 1991 nsx. Not what I thought it was but not a bad deal in the end. Seen deals done all the time at distance. A big percentage turn out badly. My advice for what its worth. Have an escape plan. Be prepared to walk away at any time. Don't make loosing hundreds of dollars worse by loosing thousands. And worse is getting stuck with a car that you dont want but feel like you have to keep it because your in too deep and it never gets fondeled much less enjoyed in any way. Have game plan in that the car has to meet certain criteria for you to buy and if it fails your criteria.....get back on plane, train or car and go home. It's cheaper. Form this criteria ahead of seeing car. No emotions. Car fax and personal and professional inspections are a must.

Last edited by Halfassjack; 03-21-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought my S in the state of texas. It was sight unseen except for indepth videos pictures etc. I flew out with a certified check looked over the car and struck a deal with the seller. If it wasnt meant to be it wasnt meant to be and i would have walked away however i had more negotiating power since i invested the money to fly in and drive home. It has to be the optimal deal for you since you ultimately have the cash in hand keep that in mind. Its worth the money to see the car in person since its most likely a large investment.

If you decide to purchase drive it back and get to know the car. Mileage is only relative if you plan to sell the car soon after purchase. A purchase of this magnitude is risky of course but its worth it in the end.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I messaged the guy but he is a real douchebag saying shit I wanted to meet him half way but I guess he is that worried in the cars ability to drive 8 hours. Im just worried about flying to New York,and the car being bad or leaving empty handed. I dont know what Im getting into or whats been done to it. I dont know who built it or if it can drive back home 19 hours and Im currently in college and working all the time. I dont want to travel 1130 miles only to leave disappointed, thats too much for me. Love the car but I cant risk it and dont have time to go see it. The car is clean and it has everything I would want for a s2000 but its gamble. most of my friends think I should just buy a stock car locally. Im 20 years old and Ive never traveled to those areas. I got the money but honestly i dont trust the seller.

Quick Reply: Buying s2000 out of state