S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cross country road trip advice?

Old 01-27-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been in the states but here in Europe most cars after 2000 don't even have a spare tyre. You're always not far from a tyre shop or garage or something. In my 11 years of driving cars I once had a flat, this was in my moms econobox which did not have a spare. I googled for tyre shops and in an hour someone picked me up with the tyre and dropped me of again with the fixed tyre.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Polini
I've never been in the states but here in Europe most cars after 2000 don't even have a spare tyre. You're always not far from a tyre shop or garage or something. In my 11 years of driving cars I once had a flat, this was in my moms econobox which did not have a spare. I googled for tyre shops and in an hour someone picked me up with the tyre and dropped me of again with the fixed tyre.
Its a bit different driving across the US. One state in the US could be the size of a European country. I've road tripped across Europe as well. Its not the same.

In the States, quite a few cars that do not come with a spare come with run flat tyres.

I've driven across the Southwestern US...and there are parts of road where there is NOTHING for hundreds of miles. Including cell phone service.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

It's a Honda, just go and have fun.
My wife and I have over 70k miles of road trips in our '06 some as long as 7800 miles in three weeks over 11 western states.
The S was made for this, top down, back roads(stay off of the interstates) with a lot of side trips to see the things most others miss.
It takes planning to find the good roads and that is my job when we go for our drives. On one trip when we got to the hotel I would open up the maps and see where we would go the next day. We did this for 25 days and we saw so much country that you won't see from the freeway.

ROD
Old 01-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Lots of good advice above. For me, been there, done that, still doing it.

My advice is to get an REI quarter dome 3 person tent. Why that? You want the extra room with your GF. It is only 4.5 lbs and packs small. I also use it backpacking even when I am solo. I would get the REI "Flash" sleeping bag pads. About 12" long and 2" in diameter, they are super light, small, and comfortable. Sleeping bags are up to you but I prefer down. Get a Jet Boil for a really small stove.

You may want a rack for the bulky gear. See below. It is a Surco DR1005 and I added the wooden slates. One and off in minutes, does not damage the paint. It even supports a flat tire.

For flats you may want to check out this for a flat repair and inflator. I carry both but have never used it on the S.http://www.pashnit.com/product/stopngo.html

See if you can find a AAA map called "Indian Country". It is a classic just now going out of print. Incredible detail and roads over a huge area in the SW.

I

Last edited by cosmomiller; 01-27-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
So I'm really getting the bug lately to do a cross country trip from WV to Arizona to see my sister. I'd like to pass through Colorado on the way and check out some of the National parks in the Colorado/Utah area. Since I'm going that far I may as well hit the west coast too. I really want to take the S because I really DON'T want to drive my 2004 CR-V and regret it on every twisty mountain road I encounter. This trip is also about the driving experience for me. Now this will probably require at least 6-7 nights minimum on the road and I would like to camp a few nights to save money as well as enjoy the nights out West. This may simply be impossible with the S2000 but I'd like some advice on at least trying to work out the logistics. I'm not TOO worried about comfort in the S because I drove it 1000 miles home when I purchased it with no complaints. My girlfriend will be going with me as well but we can both pack pretty light and wash clothes at my sister's at the halfway point. She is perfectly happy riding in the S2000 all day.
I don't even own a tent. Any recommendations on a small, easily packable tent for two? I'm I out of my mind to even try it? Any tips on minimalist packing? Haha.
I'm also worried I'll see some awesome dirt roads to explore out west and wish I had a different car for that. If money were no object I'd just keep the S at home and buy a new WRX for the trip...lol.

Just driving my s2k from kansas to ohio where i went was 13 hours and i left late so i decided id just camp out in my car overnight and pick up the rest the next day. worst experience ever. I loved the drive dont get me wrong but the seats are complete ass and made my cheeks sore and trying to sleep in the car overnight with luggage in my car was a task all alone. if you make this journey id recommend hotels or something along they way because i promise, you'll regret the drive until something fun comes along. but whatever you choose to do, good luck in your journeys
Old 01-30-2017, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by tbgs_s2000
Just driving my s2k from kansas to ohio where i went was 13 hours and i left late so i decided id just camp out in my car overnight and pick up the rest the next day. worst experience ever. I loved the drive dont get me wrong but the seats are complete ass and made my cheeks sore and trying to sleep in the car overnight with luggage in my car was a task all alone. if you make this journey id recommend hotels or something along they way because i promise, you'll regret the drive until something fun comes along. but whatever you choose to do, good luck in your journeys
The S2000 doesn't have reclining seats or a back seat. IDK how having luggage in it would affect the fact that its a terrible car to sleep in?
Old 01-30-2017, 05:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Polini
You can put your coats and vests behind the front seats.
no room behind my seats! i do find the space under the seat quite useful though!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tbgs_s2000
I'm actually making the Kansas - Ohio journey this summer.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:55 PM

Isn't KS to OH only like a 10.5 hr drive, on average? With like...nothing to see or do along the way except drive?
Old 01-30-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

People told me Kansas would be flat, but I was surprised at the number of hills. It was pretty!

There's lots of cool, hidden secrets, small towns, breweries and restaurants and even cathedrals "out in the middle of nowhere."

Quick Reply: Cross country road trip advice?