S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

From an Element to an S2K: stupid idea?

Old 12-04-2016, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default From an Element to an S2K: stupid idea?

Hello!

I'm thinking about selling my 2007 Honda Element to get an S2000. I wouldn't really be able to keep both cars, so I would be going from having an Element as a daily driver to an S2000.

Luckily, I only work 5 miles from home and barely ever take anyone as a passenger. However, I'm a little apprehensive.

I just wanted some opinions, especially from anyone that has daily driven an S2000.

Also, I would be going from a paid-off car to a monthly payments again.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I have a 2007 Element, too. It's like going from a midrange RPM only, jello-like handling experience to a go-cart.

If you haul anything around in that Element --- you are going to miss it. I had to keep both.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

If you enjoy motoring/are a driver then it's a no brainer. Life is too short to daily drive a Honda Element
My only suggestion is that you find a much longer route (drive out of your way) to work to properly heat up the car on each commute - which should not be a problem as you'll want to drive the S2k more than 5 minutes!
Old 12-04-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

For all practical purposes I was driving my s2k daily this past season. My one hour commute turned into a two hour drive on twisty Vermont country roads. What a blast! But, I do have a pick up for those times when I need to haul stuff or its raining.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you so much for the input!

I never really haul stuff anyway. I took a trip to IKEA once and barely needed the space in the Element.

"Life is too short to daily drive a Honda Element."

Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully we will see you back soon but with a S2000
Old 12-05-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The S is my 3 season dd. I have an older Audi for winter. My commute is 80 miles a day. I'm early 50's, so not young. I love it. Top down unless its raining steady or below 30 degrees.

I can do Costco runs in it. The big toilet paper and paper towel packs, big cereal boxes, etc. If its a cart full, I end up using pass seat in addition to trunk. But I never feel like its a burden or awkward.

If I didn't need a winter car for snow and salted roads, I could get by with just the S. For those times you to haul something, you can rent a van or pickup from Lowes or HD for cheap. Its also an easy process.

The car being so reliable and easy to work on is part of what makes this doable. But it helps if you diy, as mechanics constantly treat this car as just another Honda, and it has some unique maintenance requirements that can cause problems if don't know about them. Mechanics are always like, yeah, we got this, when no, you don't.

Other than that, if you are good with the size, basic interior, and sport oriented ride, its an awesome dd!
Old 12-05-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used my s2k as a daily, I LOVED driving it to and from work, it made a huge difference in my day. It wasn't practical for other applications but hey what are friends for?
Old 12-06-2016, 02:32 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

One of the reasons I bought my s2k is because I finally came to the conclusion that if I am going to have to work until age 72 or so I'm darn well going to enjoy my commute.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I am retired, so no commute to worry about.

However I have a daughter who has just had a baby. Why do I mention this, because I am driving my wife to visit them every second day or so.

She lives about 61 kilometres away by the most direct route, on main suburban roads through the outskirts of Brisbane a major city. It is not bad, but not great driving, & takes about an hour or so.

However I can avoid the city completely by heading south into the country, then west than north, all on good country main roads. This way is 100 kilometres, but the driving is great, & much faster, so it takes only a little over the hour.

When I have much to carry I take the Mazda 2 by the shortest route, but otherwise it is the S2000, or my Triumph TR7, & the country drive route. Even my wife is enjoying the top down pleasure of this run. If I had to commute this same trip, it would be the S2000 keys I'd be picking up each morning

Quick Reply: From an Element to an S2K: stupid idea?