S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

external wear spots on two-year-old cloth top

Old 03-28-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
^^
I'm thinking the wear is happening when the top is down. I'd see if there's something pinching it once dropped if you can. Both spots are probably contacting each other when folded.
I think so too.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by TBK
Hey, please let me know if you figure out what's causing your issue. The Honda dealer I bought the car from installed a new top just before I picked it up as the original top had the tears in the back corner. I can't really work with them as they're three hours away from me.

Wow--I don't have the ones over the bars, but the ones on the seam look exactly like mine.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
It does look like the wear points are in contact with each other and the wear occurs when folded. I wonder if it is indeed folding correctly; are the elastic straps doing their job? You may need new ones (Modifry) as the replacement top ones may not be up to the task at hand. You may want to double check the installation even if it was a top rated shop.
Take a look with the top down to see how high up the top rides. You should be able to just see the "horns" of the top on either side. You don't say if you use the tonneau top cover. If you do does it fit and go on without a hassle?
No, I don't use a tonneau cover. I will do that visual check. The tech also thinks it is happening when the top is folded. I will make sure to discuss straps with him.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by hecash
I've had a cloth (TwillFast, not StayFast) top for four years now and there is some compression of the surface fibers in the same areas where the loops lay upon each other but no wear to the fabric like yours.
Seems to me the slightest variance in what was where would make a big difference in how much it wore.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:31 AM

Default wear spots patched--update

Having confirmed that the wear spots I posted about are just rub spots happening when the top is folded down, and that there is nothing wrong with the elastic straps (they are only two years old), the solution we decided on was to add very small patches, made of the same material, over the wear spots, so that those patches could wear on each other instead of on the top. With a half day in the shop and $64, if we need to do that every two years, so be it. The owner himself actually did the repair. He's at least 60 so he's seen some stuff. He used both glue and a stitch and melted the edges. I've attached pictures. You can't tell until you get close, and then you feel the sweet relief of knowing your top isn't trying to chew through itself He said it's just wear from frequent use--nothing is really "wrong." From this distance it's hard to see the wear patches.
The wear patches are the same width as the seam. They are unobtrusive.