S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

LA to Chicago

Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LA to Chicago

I've wanted one of these for close to 2 years now, looking at my join date on this site. I seriously started looking at these about a month ago. As an accountant, I couldn't leave work until after the 15th to pick one up, so I missed 1 or 2 that I liked. Finally, I decided to get this one from Cali.

Here are some pics from the road trip.

Landing at Ontario. I had to check a few times we weren't going to Canada when I got the ticket. We left Chicago at 5am, connected in Pheonix, and got into LA at 9 I believe.

At the dealer.

The previous owner didn't use that cover, but we had to bring it back. Doubt I'll use it either. Took up some valueable real estate in the trunk.

After getting some In n Out, we didn't leave the dealer until 3ish I think. Much later than I thought since we had agreed on price, and I had my financing ready. But sales lady was rather attractive. "Do you come with the car?" rang through our heads, in Homer Simpson's voice.

Taped it up. (in b4 why did you tape it up)

On the way to Las Vegas.

On the strip.

We got into Las Vegas in the late afternoon. The strip was bumper to bumper, and we were tired/hungry so we parked it and walked around a bit. Plan was to head out at 5am the next morning.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM

Last minute we decided to visit the Hoover Dam. We didn't really plan ahead, so we only saw the lake and than drove over the dam. We couldn't figure out where to actually stop to see it.

Took a detour onto a small part of Rt 66. Enjoyed some bottled coke and Doritos. I haven't had that flavor in years.

The area is definetly sad. Lots of empty business'.

The cockpit. Back/ass pillow and head pillow. My friend's back hurt quite a bit in those seats. For me, after the first day it wasn't too bad. I had to make sure to "stretch" or sit upright for short periods of time to sorta readjust, but overall not too bad. Space was tight though. We had to pick and choose what could come with us inside.

Some big hole we ran into.

Lots of bikes here. These were from Wisconsin.

This was a really nice road directly to Flagstaff.

We stopped at some Mexican place my friend saw on TV. The Food Network show, with the blond guy who drives a Camaro. Food was ok, but they had really good pineapple habranero salsa I believe.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM

Random pit stop.

Somewhere in Arizona on day 2.

We almost ran out of gas after Albuquerque. We stopped at 3 gas stations, and all were closed. I kept thinking of the Hills Have Eyes...we made into some small town, to find more closed gas stations on Sunday at 9pm. We checked into a Motel 8, just as we were finding out Osama has been killed.

Since I forgot my radar decector suction cups, we weren't using it. We hoped this would get us out of tickets in the great state of Texas.

Stopped at some German place from that Food Network show.

At this point, we were driving from 6ish am Monday. I was getting sleepy after my nice dinner, so my friend drove. He was driving for 2 hours, and got pulled over in Oklahoma. 88 in a 75. The tape didn't work. The trooper had him get out of the car, padded him down, and then had him sit in the cruiser with him. I took over, and we drove straight through the night, to Chicago. We got in at 6ish, to find traffic on I55. We pulled off onto Rt 66, again. Not many pictures from this day as my friend was dead tired.

Some gas station in the suburbs, on Rt 66. We took the tape off here.

Some other notes.

I killed a bird in Texas. Not much happened really but still. They were all suicidal for a few miles. Almost hit a few more. Back in Arizona I think, I hit a tumble wead. Glad I had the tape. When we got to St. Louis, which was suprisingly a nice drive through the city, I almost hit a possum who was chilling in the road. Finally, back in Illinois I hit a dead skunk. I think that guy caused some demage because I have a few indentations in my bumper.

All in all. Not a bad trip, and the car isn't as bad I thought it was. Sure it's small, and all, but it was very doable.

As far as the car, my GTI has a 35r on it, so the S2000 isn't as fast But it did get better, seeing as in Texas we had to use 90oct, and the elevation was killing it. Now back home, it's much better. Driving top down is great. Overall, very happy.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Here are a few more.

Now I remember why the drive to Vegas wasn't so enjoyable. So straight.

Me talking to a security guard who put us onto the Hoover Dam idea.

Nice road by the Hoover Dam.

As much of the Hoover Dam as we saw...

Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Some Rt. 66 pics.

Road to Flagstaff.

Feels good to whore out a new car

Also, much thanks to my friend who took all the pictures.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Two pics from my phone.

My friend in the cruiser. I missed him getting padded down.

Here is somewhere in Missouri. Nothing like Red Bull and hearburn to keep you awake.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Ha, great photos, great story - what's up with the police though? Speeding?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Ha, great photos, great story - what's up with the police though? Speeding?
Yea. 88 in a 75. The cop knocked it down to 10 over so it's like 188.50 instead of 225 or something. Quite expensive. I have no idea why my friend was searched, and taken to the car. He didn't even put him in the back seat, just right next to him.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 AM

awesome, welcome to the family. I have made that same trip 5 times from chicago to san diego and back in my S. I love it. I never took pictures tho and got pulled over 2 times in texas lol.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

awesome road trip! Mine was a good 8 miles after I bought the S lol.

Are you paying for your friends ticket or??

Quick Reply: LA to Chicago