S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do people keep the mileage down?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
Is the Mazda 3 a 2.5 manual? If so, how do you like it? I'd like to have one for a daily driver.
It is a 2.0 manual. I've spent some good time with the 2.5 manual. It is very nice. For my needs I preferred the frugal nature of the 2.0, also the $5-6000 gap.

Can't go wrong either way!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smiles per mile

Hope this answers your question: I'm particular about the miles I put on my car. I'm the original owner of a fairly stock-looking but highly (and tastefully, if I may say so) modified 02. It's essentially a triple-distilled S2000, supercharged, etc., and is just about to turn 21,000 miles. It's not my dd, of course. I've always liked it too much to do that to it (plus I have a truck and German sedan for the mundane stuff.) Despite the low miles It is not a garage queen - when it's used, it gets used and when I drive it, I rarely park it. IMO it's not how many miles your odometer shows, it's how you're driving those miles. I live in Monterey, two minutes to state Highway 1, 20 cliff-hugging miles to Big Sur. The back roads and twisties hereabouts are legendary. That's where I exercise the car, in 20- to 60-mile bursts, when weather and traffic permit. The miles we've accumulated together are mostly workouts, never commuting - I bought my car in San Jose (from Capitol Honda) and drove it home and since then it's never driven farther than Milpitas, where its tuner is. But I totally understand unadulterated enthusiasm for driving an S2000 anywhere and everywhere, it's fun and has classic design. I'm just telling you how it is that "some people" keep low miles on theirs.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 PM

^^^ agreed. I just bought a 10k-mile AP1 (2000 MY), and while I plan to use it much more than the previous owner, the S2000 will be sharing weekend duties with a few others. I'll likely put on no more than 3k miles a year because of that.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:46 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I just don't care. First year I had my S I managed to put 30K on it. I took it everywhere, go to the beach, take a 50 mile detour to work and back everyday,

I never looked at this car as fragile so I use it. Many other sports cars will fall apart with use, not this one. If you're over 15K its not a collectors car anymore, so go enjoy it.

If its depreciation, say your car is worth 20K today with its current mileage, with a 100K it would be 15. For 60,000 miles it will cost you 5K in depreciation.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ours has 90k and had 80 when we bought it exactly 4 years ago. We barely passed 2000 miles last year. My wife doesn't drive it to work because she sits in traffic on 95 and doesn't want to ride the clutch or bake in the sun coming home. I used to drive it to my office all the time, but now I work from home. We don't take it to the beach because the beach chairs don't fit in the trunk. I do a lot of driving to and from mountain bike trails- bike can't go in the S for those drives either. We both refuse to drive it with the top up, so weather has to be decent to even consider taking it out of the garage. All that's left is a lot of short trips to dinner, running errands and the occasional day trip to a destination a few hours away. I take it out and blast around the back roads around my house once in a while, but 30 minutes or so is all I need to feel better.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Before my wife got sick(2014) we were putting 25 to 30k a year on our '06. We have a little over 130k on it at present and with my wife getting better we will be adding to that with many more miles to come. We have a 1k mile drive coming up this weekend on the west side of the Sierra mountains. The S is made to be driven, so go drive it and have fun. The only thing I don't like about our S is all the time it takes away from me and my motorcycles. Can't drive and ride at the same time and there's only so many hours in a day.

ROD
Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I just bought the S2000 this past fall and almost immediately had to store it. I'll begin driving it next month but won't use it as a daily driver (I let my Ford Fusion and Hyundai van serve as work vehicles and bear the brunt of the numbskulls who carelessly damage cars in parking lots when opening their doors). I'll save the weekend drives for the S2000 which should keep the milage down and enable me to enjoy it as I had envisioned when I bought it...driving enjoyable roads on nice days, not sitting in traffic jams.

Last edited by jeffreygebhart; 03-15-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I only track my S...so only sees ~2000 miles a year. When I had my AP2 I would use it primarily for Dragon trips and car meets, so that was about 6-7k a year.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's easy for me to keep my miles down because my commute is so short. I daily drive my S and rack up only 1,800 miles a year. Then again I bought my car with a lot of miles so it works out in the end.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 92gli
Ours has 90k and had 80 when we bought it exactly 4 years ago. We barely passed 2000 miles last year. My wife doesn't drive it to work because she sits in traffic on 95 and doesn't want to ride the clutch or bake in the sun coming home. I used to drive it to my office all the time, but now I work from home. We don't take it to the beach because the beach chairs don't fit in the trunk. I do a lot of driving to and from mountain bike trails- bike can't go in the S for those drives either. We both refuse to drive it with the top up, so weather has to be decent to even consider taking it out of the garage. All that's left is a lot of short trips to dinner, running errands and the occasional day trip to a destination a few hours away. I take it out and blast around the back roads around my house once in a while, but 30 minutes or so is all I need to feel better.
You're looking at it the wrong way. You should create drives specifically to use the s2k. Make it a weekend outing to find a new twisty road on sunday with your wife. Good quality time together in nice weather listening to good music with the top down with your lover. nothing beats that.

Quick Reply: How do people keep the mileage down?