S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do people keep the mileage down?

Old 03-15-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I bought mine the same time as the OP and I put 10K on last season before it went into the barn. My plan was to put about 5K a year on but I fear that is out the window because I am having too much fun. Maybe the novelty will wear off and I'll start using it only on weekends? My "problem" is that I have a gorgeous back road commute that sucks me in every time and I could easily put 15K a year on the car just in good weather. Makes the commute a lot more fun than it is in my Tundra.

My worry is that I'll burn this up with miles and then when I want to find a new low mileage example to finish off with in retirement I'll have to spend major $. I still consider whether to buy another low milege s2k now just to store away for 5 or 6 years. Might be foolish - but it is tempting. Storage is the main reason I have not done it yet.

Last edited by rpg51; 03-15-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes in my opinion, the S2000 being a "classic" is just that.

But it's such a fun car to drive. Keeping mileage down for "preservation purposes" or whatever is like having a hot girlfriend but refusing to bang her brains out so you can save her for the next guy.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TofuProductions
Yes in my opinion, the S2000 being a "classic" is just that.

But it's such a fun car to drive. Keeping mileage down for "preservation purposes" or whatever is like having a hot girlfriend but refusing to bang her brains out so you can save her for the next guy.
Analogy only works if you're pimping out your girlfriend for cash. Vaginas are self-healing, s2000s are not. Just sayin...
Old 03-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

This has taken an odd turn...
Old 03-15-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

The weather in IL is terrible.

In summer, I do drive my S2000. Its summer for 16 mins. Then its winter again.

But...I also live in a downtown area, near a scenic-enough water front. So walking or riding my bicycle are massively enticing. Its not unusual to drive the 20 mile round trip to work (because highway)...and then come home and do a 30 mile ride on a bicycle.

There aren't really any twisting roads. I make excuses to drive my S2000 as much as I can...but...the bicycle is easier to do that with.

In the winter, I drive my TSX. If I need to park in the city of Chicago, I *usually* take my TSX.

If I go on a road trip, I usually bring my bicycle or two (requires a car that carries a bicycle...or two).

In a nutshell, the B serious pro recommendation:
-Live in terrible weather.
-Get a hobby which reduces sperm count and gets you honked at.
-low miles.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you truly don't want to drive it, replace the convertible top latches with locks that you don't have the keys to. And get a really boomy exhaust.

I drive mine a lot, and love it.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol
This has taken an odd turn...
Understatement of the century. I'm moving on.

Do these folks realize they might run for president some day and some reporter might dig up their old posts on s2ki?

Is there no moderator here? Oh, the moderator is the author...

Last edited by rpg51; 03-15-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpertyhigh
You're looking at it the wrong way. You should create drives specifically to use the s2k. Make it a weekend outing to find a new twisty road on sunday with your wife. Good quality time together in nice weather listening to good music with the top down with your lover. nothing beats that.
#1. I said that - "day trips to destinations a few hours away"
#2. Often, when we go exploring, we like to bring our road bikes. So the S loses again.

I'm not seeing anything the wrong way. I get a lot of joy just having a nice "toy" sitting there. Paid for. Wrapped in a daiper. It's not going to rot sitting in a dry garage. I don't keep score. In a few years we're going to buy another toy, and they'll have to compete for our attention.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Lots of good answers here. I can relate to B serious. The weather here in WV is pretty crappy as well, except some years winter fails to show up. This was one such year and that probably added a couple of thousand miles. But yeah, I need to stop keeping score.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The opening post of the Low Miles thread does make me cring though:

Now on to business! This thread is officially for all of us that want to celebrate how FEW miles we have on our s2000s.

Yes cars are built to be driven, but while the rest of you are out there slowly destroying your cars and racking up the miles, we are saving ours for future generations to appreciate.

A well used and abused car may have character and a story to tell, but a car is only original once! The rest of you can keep your rebuilt engines and repainted bodies. This thread is for us who preserve and treasure each mile we put on our now out of production beauties.

So, share your stories and tell the world how few miles you drive. Be loud and be proud about your showroom-like rarities!

Here is the badge! Show your low mile pride!
I'm so glad these people on their high horses are depriving themselves so people who aren't them can enjoy the car they worked hard to pay for. Hopefully the post was tongue in cheek.

Last edited by Nerd-Vol; 03-15-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: How do people keep the mileage down?