S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Has anyone had this many problems with there S?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had this many problems with there S?

I bought the car in March of last year w/72k miles and Ran great.
I started off good with a number of mods. My last mod (non wear part) was the diff back in JUNE!

Since then this is everything that has gone wrong with my car. Keep in mind I only get one it maybe once or twice a month, usually when racing someone.

June- New TCT- 120
July- New tires-600
Aug- New brakes (rotors, pads)
Sept- New clutch,flywheel- 1000 installed
Feb- New Clutch master cylinder-90
This weekend - Newer transmission-$$$ (imput shaft bearing is almost completely gone)
Misc- A number of small hoses and random small pieces.

The TCT seems to be going out again because the car still has a loud tick. Getting progressivly worse. Seems like I might need to rebuild the head also which im looking at 600+ for parts. Hell while Ryan is in there, I might as well have him rebuild the motor, right?
The top is getting a small tear also, which is 600 + a day for me to put it on.
Also needs a new windshield molding.

I bought coilovers with my tax return so that is my latest mod. Which may never go on the car if things keep going wrong with it...

Seems to be more problems with it then what its worth. I am really thinking about fixing it and trading it in for something reliable and not fast. I need to get to work everyday, but limping the car around everywhere I go just makes things worse. The car isnt even fun to drive anymore because im so scared of it breaking down. I know I could buy a beater but with the money I make, the cost of repairs+ the high ass car payment, makes it hard to save for a decent beater car. Anyone have bad luck with the S like this? I bought one because I heard they were reliable even if you beat on them.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tires, brakes, and clutch stuff is going to wear out in ANY car. The TCT is cheap compared to total repair cost but the transmission would drive me nuts.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 AM

I know the wear parts need replaced, but I replaced all the wear parts and now its the solid parts that are messing up, Trans, head, etc.
That is going to get VERY pricey. My good friend ryan (heresnowhy) is awesome and helping me out with everything, but it might take to long for me to save before the car blows up.

EDIT:

even with a bad economy, It seems I would be better trading it in (owing about 8k more then what they would give me) on a new car. Seems cheaper to pay 200 more a month on a car payment, then the average 5-800 I have been spending....
Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds like either you or whoever owned the car before drive it hard...

this is what happens when you drive a car hard
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

You have an 8 year old car that , in your own words, you mod and race. What do you expect?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your just hitting the "things need to be replaced" time of your car and it is all happening at once.

Transmission though, even if you don't drive hard, the person before you might have and your fixing problems that he/she may have started.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^He stated that he does drive it hard.

There is a difference between driving hard and driving abusively, though...

OP- I've never had a problem with my car *that i didn't cause and subsequently correct, ie, hydrolock*. How many miles does yours have?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 AM

murphy's law: drive a car hard, and "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

75k miles, original clutch, tranny, no issues yet. fluid changes only, brake pads, and tires. replace original s-02 fronts at 55k miles.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 AM

I have 90k miles on it right now. everything is happening at once. Just sucks! I cant keep up!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't describe problems IMO.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had this many problems with there S?