S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need some Info on Airbags ASAP PLEASE

Old 05-05-2002, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let my older brother borrow my car the other day and he got into an accident, so heres what i wanted to know: Does the airbag on the passenger side deploy if theres no one sitting in it? The seat belt had also .. i dont know how to describe but both the passenger and the driver side the seat belt just went totally limp and its fully deployed, I was wondering if that happened on the passenger side too- if no one was in the seat?

Last question: the airbag deployed on WIERD circumstances. My friend who crashed his s2k head on at 45, the airbags DID NOT deploy. However my brother said he just went over a very large curb by accident - the only body damage i see is the fender seems to be moved back - and the bumper moved up on the right side also about 1 cm. Both the wheels on the right side are dead - the back wheel popped. The front wheel is practically broken but its still inflated. He changed the back tire and said he drove about 20 miles home - is this possible also?

Thanks for the help, i'm really bummed, but I just want to see if my brother is telling me the truth about his accident.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:45 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You may have another problem. If he put the mini-spare on the rear he may have caused damage to your differential. Better have that checked also.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:00 AM

The limp seatbelt may be related to the pre-tensioner. Airbags measure deceleration, in the most general definition. This can be unrelated to vehicle speed, ie. 45 mph through a row of bushes is not as dramatic deceleration as 25 into a solid wall. The car has no way of knowing if the passenger seat is occupied or not so both airbags should deploy at the same time. Sorry to hear about your car, CG is correct, about the differential, the spare should not be placed on the rear axle.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:50 PM

the airbag system is sensor and enertia activated the seatbelts are interactive with the airbags so it is possible that the passenger seatbelt has been activated. on a honda any seatbelt in use when airbags are deployed must be replaced your brother would have had to hit somthing solid on the sensor or the car was stopped very fast by the impact.