S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My little 4.57 gear review

Old 06-29-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My little 4.57 gear review

I ordered the Ricks 4.57 gear set w/Comptech reinforcements from the GB section
(https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=291155) . I the diff within 3 days which was pretty cool.

I knew the diff install was going to be a pain in the ass, so I made sure I'd have a ride to work for a couple of days while the car was on the stands. I referenced xviper's great diff removal tutorial (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=85687)
and the Honda service manual.

Everything is pretty straightforward except the part about removing the ball joint. I read from a couple of threads that it's possible to get the diff out without removing the ball joints, but IMO it's nearly impossible with just one person. I wasted a couple of hours doing this, so my advice is to just follow the service manual.

The hardest part of the diff removal was probalby getting the damn diff off of the rear diff mount. You have to really work at pushing and pulling the diff while keeping it from hitting the propshaft. Not to mention the diff weighs 80 lbs. A jack is very helpful in this situation but you sacrafice some space under the car to work with.

Anyway, my impressions of the 4.57 gears after 1 day of driving it:

There is a noticeable improvement in "thrust". You can get the car moving from a stop more easily than with the stock gears. Third gear feels almost like 2nd gear. Honestly, I was expecting a bit more kick, the 4.77's might have been better, but they aren't as strong as the 4.57s which is more important.

Onto the infamous gear whine:

I don't what the big fuss is because it's not very loud. I was expecting it to sound like the droning of a single exhaust, but it's no where near that. It's only noticeable at 50 mph + and only on acceleration. To all the people who are on the fence about the 4.57's because of the whine, I'll come out and say you shouldn't be worried as long as the install was done right. Because I went through the GB, Ganley Honda did the install (probably the best people to have do the install). Maybe some of complaints about the whine were from bad installs.

I'm pretty happy with the gears overall, I'll get a better opinion of them after I take it to the track this weekend.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it makes more of a difference on acceleration than you might think.

if you want to see a video of me with 4.57 gears vs a stock S2000 from a stoplight roll to about 100mph, it's in my signature.

also, did you do your 3 heat cycles? change your diff fluid after about the first 1000-1500 miles. then every 10-15k after that.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:26 PM

so how hard was the installation?
did you have someone help you?
how long did it take to complete? how many hours?

thx
Old 06-29-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by problem_child,Jun 29 2005, 02:26 PM

thx
I took it easy, and didn't rush myself. The car was on stands for 4 days but actual work probably took like 6-7 hours, but I wasted a couple of hours trying a shortcut.

The installation is not easy. You're on your back trying to get this 80 lb thing that's wedged in really really tightly. Be prepared for lots of bruises and scraped knuckles. It defenitely would have helped to have another person with me. That said, it's always hard doing something the first time, I could probably do it again in 2-3 hours.

Just make sure you have the right tools, I bought a cordless impact wrench rated up to 240 lb/ft which helped a lot. And if a bolt doesn't want to come out, don't try to keep forcing it... put some Liquid Wrench or WD-40 on it, and make sure you "snap" off the bolts. I stripped a couple of bolts and had to get replacments, buying spares would be wise.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Jun 29 2005, 01:40 PM
I took it easy, and didn't rush myself. The car was on stands for 4 days but actual work probably took like 6-7 hours, but I wasted a couple of hours trying a shortcut.

The installation is not easy. You're on your back trying to get this 80 lb thing that's wedged in really really tightly. Be prepared for lots of bruises and scraped knuckles. It defenitely would have helped to have another person with me. That said, it's always hard doing something the first time, I could probably do it again in 2-3 hours.

Just make sure you have the right tools, I bought a cordless impact wrench rated up to 240 lb/ft which helped a lot. And if a bolt doesn't want to come out, don't try to keep forcing it... put some Liquid Wrench or WD-40 on it, and make sure you "snap" off the bolts. I stripped a couple of bolts and had to get replacments, buying spares would be wise.

thanks for the info

im thinking about doing this mod with a local member. Two cars would probably take a whole day
Old 06-29-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm starting to get the 4.57 fever
Old 06-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by problem_child,Jun 29 2005, 03:26 PM

thx
keep in mind this is just swapping out the diff. not the actual gear install.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Jun 29 2005, 02:01 PM
keep in mind this is just swapping out the diff. not the actual gear install.
yesss... it comes with 4.57 installed in comptech housing... i understand that i save time and installation.

i was wondering how hard it was to take the differential out.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Great info thanks
I want to do this mod so bad just have to save the pennys
Old 06-29-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man why did i buy a damn bike, i want gears and a new clutch soooo bad

but of course the bike is still faster

Quick Reply: My little 4.57 gear review