S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Former STi Owners ?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former STi Owners ?

Hey whats up everyone I'm looking to get some comments on anyone who has gone from an STi to an s2000 and what their opinions are. This will be my daily driver and yes I've gotten a **** load of flack for thinking about selling my STi. I'm in my mid twenties, not married - and I use protection or the pull out method (no kids for a while)

I haven't really talked to any s2000 owners... I have test driven an s2000 it was everything that I've read about but the test drive only lasted about 30 minutes and there are something I just can't get from a test drive.

So any thought or input or advice? I have read some Ap1 vs Ap2 rivalries...

As of now I don't Auto-X or track my STi just looking for any advice or opinions - anything I should look out for when buying an s2000, how hard is it to change the oil? etc etc...

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 AM

As long as you don't need the extra space the STI provides, the S2000 is a great replacement. Just as (if not more) reliable than Subaru, and its a much better driving experience, especially with the top down.

I never owned an STI, but I did test drive one back when I was looking at cars. The power was great and I was really impressed with the car. But, I test drove an S2000 just on a whim and that sold me. Its the entire package. A car that can be tame when you want it, wild when you want it, has enough trunk space to throw some bags in and it handles better than just about any car you can buy for under $50k.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 AM

Yeah, they are really different and wow the s2000 feels like a real sportscar
Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nine,Jan 2 2008, 11:16 AM
I'm in my mid twenties, not married - and I use protection or the pull out method (no kids for a while)
keep the sti
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM

I'm in my mid twenties, not married - and I use protection or the pull out method (no kids for a while)

LMAO didn't need such in depth information, but depending on where you live and the weather, I'd probably keep the STI since you have it already and it's a decent all around car...If the weathers alright where you live, and you don't need the 2 extra seats- S2K all the way son!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nine,Jan 2 2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah, they are really different and wow the s2000 feels like a real sportscar
That's cause the S2000 is a real sports car
Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by yellow2001,Jan 2 2008, 09:49 AM
keep the sti
my comment was a light hearted joke refering to the fact that I have no intentions on having kids - why would you quote that and tell me to keep the STi?

You've been here 6 years and thats all you can really do in this thread? might as well have not responded.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nine,Jan 2 2008, 10:08 AM
my comment was a light hearted joke refering to the fact that I have no intentions on having kids - why would you quote that and tell me to keep the STi?

You've been here 6 years and thats all you can really do in this thread? might as well have not responded.
Well, the S only seats 2 and with Coitus Interruptus you are roughly 1,300% more likely to conceive than with the pill.

I think he's probably just siding with the statistics.

No offense.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ruprecht,Jan 2 2008, 10:14 AM
Well, the S only seats 2 and with Coitus Interruptus you are roughly 1,300% more likely to conceive than with the pill.

I think he's probably just siding with the statistics.

No offense.
it was a joke - wow...I wasn't speaking literally... aka why I put the wink face at the end ...

Didn't know you guys would be so hung up getting the joke

The point is that I am not planning on needing a bigger car in the future, I don't ever use the back seats of my STi - so that issue has been addressed.

I'm really looking to hear from former STi owners like me who have thought about or are thinking about getting into an s2000
Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i love my s2000. it's not as fast, but i think a RWD convertible is more fun to drive than an AWD turbo car. and it is fast enough. i don't know whcih car puts down better times on the track, but i don't care much--i like the drive better. it has a jekyll-and-hyde personality as it's rather mundane under 6k rpms and then it quickly comes alive as the cams switch.

if you have a winter, though, you will need snow tires, and IMO the driving experience is hampered some if you have to keep the top up for 6 months. i needed a drivers side convex mirror when i got mine as the mirror is pretty small, and at 6'1 i am still thinking about getting lower seatrails.

as for what to look out for, a 2-3 grind is rare but sometimes happens on the older models as does a clutch buzz. really the biggest thing is if they are selling due to mechanical overrev. but overall, as long as the car wasnt flagrantly abused you will be fine. i get about 22mpg, which i hear is pretty normal. and i dont know on oil changes, but theres a fair amount of space under the hood.

Quick Reply: Former STi Owners ?