S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K/M Coupe/M roadster

Old 01-26-2001, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a chance to drive my friend's '99 M coupe and I've to admit that the low end torque of that car is amazing. When I shifted from 1st to 2nd year, the car even sliped to the right a bit and that was when we turned off the traction control of course, I was surprised how fast this car was. I didn't get any chance to test the handling of the car though so no comment here. The car actually "feel" faster than my S2000, and the interior design is also better(more gauges, more luxury) than S2000 w/o any doubt. After driven the M coupe, I kinda miss the low end torque which I didn't experience for a long time (as you can see, all my cars are Hondas!)
Do you guys have any experience racing with the M coupe/roadster on the street/track? I've seen most comparisons are between Boxter and S2000. I want to know how well we can do against the M coupe/roadster?
Old 01-26-2001, 03:22 PM

Everything I have read comparing the two has the them about even in acceleration, with the M roadster slightly ahead, and with the S2K more than slightly ahead in cornering and slalom speed....oh, and the fact that you need 10,000 more for the M.
Old 01-26-2001, 03:47 PM

In September, I did a track day at Road Atlanta and spent time on the track with a friend with a black M3 coupe. The looks of this car are polarizing to some, but I really liked its appearance. The car is rare enough as well so that you do not see one in every driveway. On the track the cars were very evenly matched. His car was lightly modified, aftermarket brakes and some suspension pieces. He would pull me coming out of turn 7 onto the back straight, but I would catch him by the brakemarkers. I think that I did have an advantage through the esses though. Two very different, very wonderful cars, same result---> ear to ear grins!
Old 01-26-2001, 03:51 PM

I've also had a chance to take out my boss's M coupe..It didn't really feel 'faster' to me but it had a little more oomph at the low end obviously..what's the peak torque on that thing..260 lbs i think?? that's like a 100 lbs more torque!..well that's the thing that gets you going..Overall, i don't like it..i love my s!
Old 01-26-2001, 04:09 PM
pfb

I've run extensive track laps in front of, behind, and (fewer laps) swapping drivers seats with a friends 2001 M-Coupe.

Observations:
  • Lap times are very equal. The Bimmer was slightly faster with a more experienced driver behind the wheel than I was as a more-or-less complete rookie in the S2K.
  • Bimmer is "easier" to drive fast. Lot's of power, more assist on the steering, smoother shifts, a somewhat disconected feeling.
  • I frequently found myself running out of RPM's at a mere mortal vehicles ridulously low redline
  • The S2000 is much more exciting and feels much more like a racecar.
  • I was constantly banging my helmet against the M-Coupe headrest
Old 01-26-2001, 05:30 PM

The torque is (I think) 236, same as the E36 M3. Never been in a Z3/M Roadster so I cant comment. Its amazing that the 4 door E36 M3 is almost a dead head in acceleration to the S2000. And I hear its close in handling too.

My girlfriend just got an E46 325i without the sport package. I guess you can call it the worst handling of the 3 series

it still sticks like glue in the turns and has an incredible feeling of security in higher speed corners. It seems to pull corners in a manner that is somewhat out of place in a small sedan, and more in place with sports cars

Originally posted by h2000
I've also had a chance to take out my boss's M coupe..It didn't really feel 'faster' to me but it had a little more oomph at the low end obviously..what's the peak torque on that thing..260 lbs i think?? that's like a 100 lbs more torque!..well that's the thing that gets you going..Overall, i don't like it..i love my s!
Old 01-26-2001, 05:52 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NA-1
[B]I've got a chance to drive my friend's '99 M coupe and I've to admit that the low end torque of that car is amazing.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What you experience is "torque envy". It has nothing to do with speed, they are about the same. The ///M and S2000 are not in the same classes for racing. This is due to the 3.2L engine, which displaces +60% more than the 1.9L S2000. It autoX's in SS with the C5's and RX7 turbos. I have never lost on time to the odd one that shows up locally.

Car for car I would expect the difference to be the driver given the very similar lap times. While you may get the feel of low end torque, you lose the banshee like scream of the 9000RPM redline. I've had both are prefer the higher redline personally. It's a bit of a flavor thing.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:43 PM

I got to drive my friend's M Coupe at the last track day at Thunderhill.

The torque is the most noticable thing you'll find driving the car as for performance they are fairly equal tho I would give the M Coupe the edge. On the track there was much more roll present in his car than in the S2k and steering seemed more vague as mentioned.

That said I love the M Coupe and was seriously considering it before the S2000. It was the price tag of $10k more that swayed me away tho.

You can't go wrong either way.

Old 01-27-2001, 01:27 AM

I'm sorry, but the M Coupe is butt-ugly when beside the stook.

Quick Reply: S2K/M Coupe/M roadster