S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Student - Need all info

Old 03-10-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Student - Need all info

Hey guys, I am currently a medical student and off to get my first car as a gift to myself.
I've looked around for many cars and I was stuck between a porsche boxster, mazda mx-5 miata, and a honda s2000.
I will be buying a used one.

After a-lot of research on many forums I came down to choosing between the porsche boxster and honda s2000. I really wanted the porsche boxster but as a student I simply can't afford the maintenance costs if something goes wrong with the porsche boxster so I started leaning towards the honda s2000.

One big thing for me was long road trips & smooth rides and the fact that the honda s2000 is a 4 cylinder car.
I'll be very honest and say I dont know much about cars at all.

I wanted to know the following and any extra information if possible:

1) Because the honda s2000 is a 4 cylinder car does it shake like crazy and can you feel the vibrations?
2) How comfortable is it on long road trips as I love doing them as long as the car is smooth as butter ..... I simply hate vibrations on long trips.
3) I have watched a-lot of youtube video's and on each one I see the person shaking or the stick shifter shaking from the vibrations of the car ... is this true?
4) Is the Honda s2000 reliable enough to go ahead and buy them with around 100k miles and expect them to last another 100k miles?
5) Is it worth paying $25,000+ for these cars when you can get a porsche boxster for around the same price?

I am not that knowledgeable about cars so I hope you can forgive me.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

okaaay.
1. you will feel every road imperfection in an s2000. They are stiff. The seats are very narrow if you're larger than a 32 waist. you will feel "vibrations". This is an analogue car.
2. They are entirely intolerable on road trips longer than 8 hours. your back will be stiff when you arrive at your destination, and your date will likely stab you. Mine did many times but I came back to life thankfully.
3. don't rely on youtube videos- drive an s2000 before you ever decide to buy one. I hope you can drive a car with 3 pedals- they don't come any other way.
4. they are dead nuts reliable cars...IF YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THE MAINTENANCE. oil changes, diff fluid changes, transmission changes, brake fluid changes, valve adjustments. The convertible top alone will cost you $800-$1200 to replace- and you will need to replace it. The tires need replacing every 3 years- i have to change mine every 2 and I only drive it 7000 kms/yr.
5. if you buy a $25,000 s2000, you're buying an '06-'09 vehicle with really good miles and in really good nick. with proper maintenance, they will easily go 100K miles more.
6. your car will have its top cut open and seats stolen if you park anywhere besides a locked garage every night. And then your insurance company will write it off.
7. most Honda dealerships have no idea how to properly maintain an s2000. You will have to be handy and do all your own maintenance and work- otherwise, they will rape you on service costs. Find a local s2000 mechanic.

listen, make your money, spend your money., but this car is not a good student car. If you're looking for a student car, buy a miata (if you gotta' have a convertible), or VW GTi. A boxster? really? sure, if you are willing to roll the dice with your student loans. just hope and pray that Boxster doesn't need any servicing.
Any car these days will positively ruin you as a student if you can't maintain it. My old mazda GLC needed a new clutch slave cylinder 20 yrs ago- I was eating raman for 2 months- never again. Please don't buy an s2000 if you can't commit to spending the money to keep it properly on the road.

Many s2000 owners do their own maintenance- at least the ones I know do.

good luck. They are really great drivers cars, but as they age (the newest ones are 8 yrs old now), need more and more servicing.

darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 03-10-2017 at 04:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rpnp (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

^^^ Truer words have never been spoken, always love the color commentary Darcy!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
okaaay.
1. you will feel every road imperfection in an s2000. They are stiff. The seats are very narrow if you're larger than a 32 waist. you will feel "vibrations". This is an analogue car.
2. They are entirely intolerable on road trips longer than 8 hours. your back will be stiff when you arrive at your destination, and your date will likely stab you. Mine did many times but I came back to life thankfully.
3. don't rely on youtube videos- drive an s2000 before you ever decide to buy one. I hope you can drive a car with 3 pedals- they don't come any other way.
4. they are dead nuts reliable cars...IF YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THE MAINTENANCE. oil changes, diff fluid changes, transmission changes, brake fluid changes, valve adjustments. The convertible top alone will cost you $800-$1200 to replace- and you will need to replace it. The tires need replacing every 3 years- i have to change mine every 2 and I only drive it 7000 kms/yr.
5. if you buy a $25,000 s2000, you're buying an '06-'09 vehicle with really good miles and in really good nick. with proper maintenance, they will easily go 100K miles more.
6. your car will have its top cut open and seats stolen if you park anywhere besides a locked garage every night. And then your insurance company will write it off.
7. most Honda dealerships have no idea how to properly maintain an s2000. You will have to be handy and do all your own maintenance and work- otherwise, they will rape you on service costs. Find a local s2000

listen, make your money, spend your money., but this car is not a good student car. If you're looking for a student car, buy a miata (if you gotta' have a convertible), or VW GTi. A boxster? really? sure, if you are willing to roll the dice with your student loans. just hope and pray that Boxster doesn't need any servicing.
Any car these days will positively ruin you as a student if you can't maintain it. My old mazda GLC needed a new clutch slave cylinder 20 yrs ago- I was eating raman for 2 months- never again. Please don't buy an s2000 if you can't commit to spending the money to keep it properly on the road.

Many s2000 owners do their own maintenance- at least the ones I know do.

good luck. They are really great drivers cars, but as they age (the newest ones are 8 yrs old now), need more and more servicing.

darcy
Wow! Thanks for all the information! Greatly appreciate it!
I will be learning manual transmission on the car as I have driven automatic all my life so far.
My friends say it takes years to master it but just to start driving it you can learn in a couple days or even a few hours so don't worry about that.

That sucks how they are not good for long trips, I really was hoping they were because I love long road trips.
Didn't know these cars vibrate so much
My friends told me that mostly all cars with 4 cylinder's tend to vibrate so the Honda s2000 is the same pretty much.

With $25,000 I can buy a 2010 porsche boxster + they are inline 6 cylinder but to be honest modded wide body Honda s2000's look sick & I love the look.
To mod a porsche boxster I think I would need to be a millionaire. Their body kits START at $10,000 & are not even widely available and you have to contact random people for them to be made for you. At-least this is what I've heard.

People RIP OPEN CARS TO STEAL SHIT!? I would imagine they would've if i left the top open but with the top down they still would steal!?
Would I need a hard top to prevent this!?
WTF!?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

The S2000 does not vibrate that much but there is tons of feedback which is the best part of the car.

Just an FYI, a pair of OEM seats ordered through a Honda dealer is just south of $10K, add the new soft top and.... That is why they are stolen and the reason your insurance would write off the car. A hardtop would be a great addition $$$ if the car did no live in a garage at night.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

I would agree with the above but I might modify some perceptions.
Engine and transmission are very smooth. The sound is great. The transmission has been rated by many to be one of, if not the best in world.
Firm road ride, true but I have come to enjoy it. (Unless you are driving on a rough road for a long time.)
I have made numerous long trips, up to two weeks and thousands of miles. The trick is take a break! Stretch. If you are on an interstate and have the top down, having ear plugs reduce stress. I look for smaller roads; more fun to drive anyway. The only issue I have (I am 5'10" 180lbs) is my left thigh bottom gets achy and tight if I am in the seat for hours and hours. The rest of my body agrees very well with the seats.
The fast top up and top down is wonderful. In less than 10 seconds you can change the configuration.
Trunk is adequate with planning.
Get seat locks.
Have fun!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rpnp

1) Because the honda s2000 is a 4 cylinder car does it shake like crazy and can you feel the vibrations?
2) How comfortable is it on long road trips as I love doing them as long as the car is smooth as butter ..... I simply hate vibrations on long trips.
3) I have watched a-lot of youtube video's and on each one I see the person shaking or the stick shifter shaking from the vibrations of the car ... is this true?
4) Is the Honda s2000 reliable enough to go ahead and buy them with around 100k miles and expect them to last another 100k miles?
5) Is it worth paying $25,000+ for these cars when you can get a porsche boxster for around the same price?
1) Shake? No. Shaking is a sign of something gone bad. The S2000 has vibrations (you won't find a balancing shaft here!), but it's not abnormal. It's a smooth vibration if anything.
2) You'll probably hate the noise more so than the ride quality. It's not an ideal car for long trips.
3) The S2000's shift lever is directly connected to the transmission). It's normal to see the knob shake.
4) Yes if maintained well.
5) Worth it? That would be up to you.

The S2000 is a relatively 'raw' car.. comfort wasn't very high on Honda's list when making the S2000. The Porsche Boxster (flat-6 by the way.. not inline 6) seems like a better fit for you. It's more spacious, more comfortable, quieter, and still lots of fun to drive. Oh yea, it gets better fuel economy even though it's a 6 cylinder vs the S2000's 4 cylinder.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:10 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Needs emphasis: 6. your car will have its top cut open and seats stolen if you park anywhere besides a locked garage every night. And then your insurance company will write it off.

This is not a car to park on campus or at an apartment house. If you can't garage it don't buy it. I've had roadsters as single car "daily drivers" before and they're poorly suited to this task other than in very warm climates. Rowing thru rush-hour traffic is not fun either. This is a "summer" car for me. Currently in storage in a locked garage.

The car does not vibrate. Not sure where that impression comes from. The roof framework rattles for sure and wind noise in a ragtop is a given. Stiff suspension and stiff sidewall tires help handling but you'll feel the road. Later cars are softer in this respect. Their handling is also more predictable. I made two 10-hour trips in my '06 last summer a few days apart and I was fine. But I may fit the car just right; there's no adjustment other than seat rake and leg room. The passenger footwell is cramped. If you want "smooth as butter" get a Lincoln Town Car.

It would take me 20 years to put 100,000 miles on my S2000. What do you have in mind?

-- Chuck
Old 03-11-2017, 05:24 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

OP, I think you need to at least ride in one. All this talk of "vibration" may be a misconception. In a sports car, you definitely want to feel the road regardless of engine size or displacement. That very well seems to be what you're describing. Again, I'd catch a ride in one. The s2000 will spoil you if youre learning to drive a manual for the first time. It's such a terrific car and the gearbox is one of the best in the world. Good luck
Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Needs emphasis: 6. your car will have its top cut open and seats stolen if you park anywhere besides a locked garage every night. And then your insurance company will write it off.

This is not a car to park on campus or at an apartment house. If you can't garage it don't buy it. I've had roadsters as single car "daily drivers" before and they're poorly suited to this task other than in very warm climates. Rowing thru rush-hour traffic is not fun either. This is a "summer" car for me. Currently in storage in a locked garage.

The car does not vibrate. Not sure where that impression comes from. The roof framework rattles for sure and wind noise in a ragtop is a given. Stiff suspension and stiff sidewall tires help handling but you'll feel the road. Later cars are softer in this respect. Their handling is also more predictable. I made two 10-hour trips in my '06 last summer a few days apart and I was fine. But I may fit the car just right; there's no adjustment other than seat rake and leg room. The passenger footwell is cramped. If you want "smooth as butter" get a Lincoln Town Car.

It would take me 20 years to put 100,000 miles on my S2000. What do you have in mind?

-- Chuck
I really can't get my head around the "cut open the roof and steal" part.
So basically I can't even take this car to the mall and go shopping with it or to a dental appointment or anywhere where I need to park it for a hr or 2 because if i park it for an hr or 2 I'm risking the top being cut open and stuff getting stolen.

So you guys only use this car to pull it out of the garage, drive it, then straight back in without ever being able to take it anywhere where you would need to be away from it for a while.

So only buy the this car to LITERALLY drive and straight back in the garage?

Quick Reply: Student - Need all info