S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Student - Need all info

Old 03-17-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
For lowering Springs on stock shocks you want flying miata springs. Most miata lowering Springs don't increase rates appropriately and you end up riding the bumpstops most of the time. Flyin miata does nothing but miata aftermarket and know their stuff.
Went on their website and checked the FM springs & in the description it says "Not recommended with stock shocks - the higher spring rates are too much for stock shocks to handle".
That would mean I would need to buy their "TOKICO HTS SHOCKS" ($695) + their FM springs ($309) = ~$1000 upgrade.
On top of that the tires + wheels = ~$1500.
So I would roughly need $2500 to make the Miata look good on top of the cost I buy the miata for ofcourse.

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I may have missed this but have you driven either car? If you haven't you really should. I would go test drive a few different ones as well. You can look in the local subforums on here and see if there is any meets by you so you can talk to people go for rides and may drive a few if people are generous (also a good group to know for help with learning about the cars).. I have gone on linger drives in my S2000 and yes there are more comfortable cars but it is fun to drive and it still have cruise control and what not. Its not a horribly rough ride but its no caddy.
Yes I will be test driving all the cars soon but to be honest currently 100% leaning towards the Mazda MX-5 Miata with a hardtop convertible.
Just need to find one in my price range. Hopefully less then that because apprently I need approx $2500 to make the miata look good.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
A luxury german car? One repair can easily be $1k. On my Audi A6, timing belt was a $2k job. More if cam seals needed. Every repair just cost twice to four times as much as other cars.

As for the buzzy vibes Miata post, the guy mentioned he had stiff motor mounts. Those would make a smooth car buzzy. Drive one yourself so you can see how they feel stock.
Yeah, 100% leaning towards the Miata.
Just need to find a good priced/low milage one with a hardtop convertible.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Good luck in your search. Report back when you drive one. Honestly, I think the NC wheels look pretty good once you lower the car a bit.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:54 PM

I can't agree with all of the stolen seats scare-talk. This is VERY dependent on locale. In the Portland metro area of OR, we don't see this.
I've left my '07 in many places day and night...not a scratch. I've even forgotten my iPhone and left it on the passenger seat for over an hour.
I do have a dealer installed alarm, but the top was down when the phone was left. I think it's a given that a gangsta-free zone is a much safer
place to own an S2K.

As far as Porsche...Who wants to pay ridiculous prices for repairs, that quite frankly come around faster than my daughter's moods?
I would never buy a German car out of warranty.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, I second the theft thing. Here in WV people don't even know what the car is. In one year of ownership, I haven't had a single compliment on it. People just see a another Miata and go on about their day. There is no underground ring selling Honda parts here...lol.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you been on the Miata forum?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by jeffreygebhart
Have you been on the Miata forum?
Yup.
Been on there for a week now.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus, what a read this thread is!

Spend $5k on a Fit (or some equivalent) and call it a day (for now).

Seriously, if it's not already, your life is about to get hectic AF.

Plus, is the car budget money that would otherwise be going towards your education? If so, keep in mind that student loans suuuuuuuck!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:46 AM

I would graduate first, save your money, then get a really nice s2k. That's what I did and I'm glad I waited..

While the S is a Honda, it is still more expensive to maintain then an accord, civic, fit, etc.. Also less practical...

My IACV went out on me, 600 bucks..
My soft top is going...roughly 1200 installed and that is a good deal

Do you really want these expenses when you're trying to focus on school? I know when I was in school those kinds of expenses were the last thing I wanted.

Just my two cents

EDIT: I see you have made your mind with the Miata, smart man!

Last edited by Short; 03-22-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 879
I speak for everyone, get the damn Miata and have a good time.
This. The first gen's are a BLAST to drive. If I couldn't afford an S now, I would be in an NA right now..